Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3RS 2011 Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:08 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,492 Likes on 2,273 Posts

^ u sound like a driver not collector. with some small compromises, I knew of three car sold in last two weeks for 125, all.2rs

tow of them I sold.so the numbers are real.

now if u want to buy from deales, they are 135 cars
I don't look at advertised proces or Mannheim auction. those are useless numbers like Dow jones or S&P, real trader don't give a crap about. dealers are actually moving hem at 135 avg.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:27 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

did you have to open up variocam unit on your .2 RS cars?

I am indeed a driver. would not care less what tag is on my wheels as long as others give me point-by. I do not know, we just discussed it with my wife, may be we will simply get her brand new suv, rx450h or something like that. she acknowledges my mid-life crisis syndrome but it gets plain silly... I do not think I know what I want anymore, but I know I do not want to mess up with a necessity to open up engine on a relatively new 100k+ car. on top of that dealers here in MA are very sh$tty about engine issues on tracked cars. lesser issues may be fixed with no questions but I do not want to test my fate on a $45k engine if it dies on any nearby track and then gets towed to a dealer.

honestly I am kinda like Rad now, none of those cars should not be such a PITA in engine department. may be 991 gt3 motor will be better, I am in no hurry so can wait couple of years I think.

Last edited by utkinpol; 05-23-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
did you have to open up variocam unit on your .2 RS cars?

I am indeed a driver. would not care less what tag is on my wheels as long as others give me point-by. I do not know, we just discussed it with my wife, may be we will simply get her brand new suv, rx450h or something like that. she acknowledges my mid-life crisis syndrome but it gets plain silly... I do not think I know what I want anymore, but I know I do not want to mess up with a necessity to open up engine on a relatively new 100k+ car. on top of that dealers here in MA are very sh$tty about engine issues on tracked cars. lesser issues may be fixed with no questions but I do not want to test my fate on a $45k engine if it dies on any nearby track and then gets towed to a dealer.

honestly I am kinda like Rad now, none of those cars should not be such a PITA in engine department. may be 991 gt3 motor will be better, I am in no hurry so can wait couple of years I think.
There will always be reasons not to buy something...
Old 05-23-2013, 05:32 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be dead tomorrow, so I can't wait ... I live Today. Yesterday won't come back, and tomorrow ???

Who knows. If I think too much I go crazier than what I already am.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (03-31-2021)
Old 05-23-2013, 06:02 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
I may be dead tomorrow, so I can't wait ... I live Today. Yesterday won't come back, and tomorrow ???

Who knows. If I think too much I go crazier than what I already am.
^^^^THIS!^^^^
Robocop305 (03-31-2021)
Old 05-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 91 Posts

Geez, I heard about one alleged ZR1 LS9 failure on the track recently (GM replaced under warranty) and I was bummed that the LS9 isn't completely bulletproof. It's good to know other top highly durable track engines can have issues too as I consider the GT3 type engines near the very top of the food chain for track capable engines.

Sorry about the trouble. I guess nothing is perfect.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 PM
rja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From everything I've heard (incl. first hand knowledge) GM is very good about covering failures even under track use. Attitude is Z06 is intended for track so of course we cover track usage. If I was making non-emotional decisions I'd go w/ a Boss 302, Z06, or BRZ for track duty. But I love the RS so much.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 737 Posts

They've said that the Z28 is build to empty a full tank without problems and they'll cover warranty as long as you don't mess with the engine, don't money shift or hit the wall.

On board camera and some data for lap times probably a la Harry's lap times, dry sump, magnetic ride suspension, harness ready seats, oil coolers,with proper vents everywhere. Gotta test it!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:13 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 195 Posts

^ That's the way to build a brand: Create a good product and stand by it. Well done GM if that's indeed true.

The pigs at PAG in comparison are sitting on their plump butts collecting legacy dividends off the brand.

If the Z28 came in RHD I would've been very tempted to give it a go.
Robocop305 (03-31-2021)
Old 05-24-2013, 05:18 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

i just had a centre intake air distributor recall notice on my 7.2 RS sent to me where apparently there is a component which may fail within the distributor.. must be the 4.0 issue
Old 05-24-2013, 06:42 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kormaster
If you read the new Panorama magazine this month, in a 991 GT3 interview, they mention that

"we've seen a big increase in track day use in the last two or three years, and the GT3 got so good on track that there are a lot of people buying the car only to track it. But it's not a race car - we never said it;s a race car. It;s a street-legal race car which is capable of some fun laps at a track - perfectly capable. There are a lot of parts that are carried over from the race car, but it's not a race car. Even the race cars that have the same parts are prone to some overhauling procedures.
where are the races for this street-legal race car? And will the engine be warrantied if it croaks during one of those races? If no races is it a race car anything? or is it just a street car with lots of pricey mods.

or maybe it's just (or will be) priced like 2 second hand "ready to go" 996 Cup cars ? a.k.a. actual race cars

btw, I don't get Panorama, was that quote by an engineer or a sales/manager type?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:10 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I wonder what else can fail on a .2GT3RS that has not happened yet. Damn.
I was actually thinking the same thing. There just seem to be a lot more problems with RS over the regular GT3:

- Common clutch/flywheel issues
- Airbox issues...and now recall
- Cracked Titanium mufflers

It just seems like the features that are supposed to be "improved" seem to be the opposite.

Originally Posted by Quikag
Geez, I heard about one alleged ZR1 LS9 failure on the track recently (GM replaced under warranty) and I was bummed that the LS9 isn't completely bulletproof. It's good to know other top highly durable track engines can have issues too as I consider the GT3 type engines near the very top of the food chain for track capable engines.

Sorry about the trouble. I guess nothing is perfect.
There is an inherent design flaw in the LS motor architecture: the oiling system. It works great for drag racing, just not for road racing. There are hundreds of on track LSx engine failures. The primary culprit is the block and oil pan design don't keep oil around the crank when cornering. Bottom line is if you ever exceed 1G of cornering for over 5 seconds, you will definitely starve the bearings and at the very least; they will be scorched. It is very common to have crank or rod bearings walk with an LS engine car on the track. There are lots of in car videos on youtube of this happening on the track.

The Dry Sump in the LS7 and LS9 is certainly better for this perspective and it always directs oil directly to the crank. Still it is possible for the motor to eat the bearings. With the Dry Sump Tank on the 06-08 Z06s, GM found the capacity was too low to prevent bearing damage and increased it 3 liters in the later Z06s and the ZR1s. Again when cornering at over 1G for more than 5 seconds, they found the smaller tank would run out of oil and stop feeding the pan. The higher capacity seems to have improved, but not eliminated the issues. The remaining issue is the oil pump has too low of capacity. If you ever plan to track one of these cars, at the very least invest is getting the oil pump ported and shimmed will will result in 20-30% more flow and pressure. Katech makes a really good road racing oil pump for these engines. It is really a bargain compared to the cost of an engine rebuild. The new Z06 gets the Dry Sump LS7 engine and the oiling system from the recent Z06, so it should be as good as GM can currently make it. If it were my money, I would still invest in an oil pump upgrade if I were planning to track one.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 05-24-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Freewayblaster
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 997.2 GT3RS variocam mechanism failed during track day earlier this year, on the left hand bank, about 10,000 miles on the car. Screws worked loose and sheared, no early warning, but for slow loss of power and stop. Dealer repair extensive, pistons and sleeves, inlet valves, camshaft and actuator, etc..Lucky, under-guarantee repair, 25K. It could happen to you'all. Car has run great since.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

A fellow DE participant had an issue on his first track day on his '10 RS. Porsche checked for over revs, no issue, so they installed a new engine. It took a month since the engine came from Deutschland.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:43 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

Well, I've watched almost all of the rally videos on youtube, and it's what got me so excited about such an awesome car-these are not RSR's or Cup cars-I don't know enough details about them and how much they modify them aside from exhaust, but I'd be curious to know how those engines do after so much screaming
Any bolts flying and seizing their motors???

Quick Reply: GT3RS 2011 Engine Problems