Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pirelli Corsa Systems- Heat cycles and general advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:06 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Shaved RS3 are faster as proven by many SCCA National level Solo drivers, hundreds of drivers every year in the street tire classes driving near the limits, not the typical average Porsche weekend driver.

The key to shave tires is to increase contact patch, and reduce the flexing on the tread. Part of the cheating blamed to some car manufacturers is to show up to a test with shaved tires.

I have competed at National level SCCA Solo and ProSolo events switching between A6 (a tire that grips as good as some slicks) and RE11, the lap times difference has been quite small. Same deal when running track days with two different cars: Cayman and Fiat.

I tested the Corsa System against the R888, RE11 and Hoosier A6 on the same racetrack with Traqmate data, the Corsa came up the slowest of all. I just read from a guy with a Scuderia that performed another test a few weeks ago (using Traqmate as well) on wider BBS FI (20 lbs lighter wheels) and Corsa System vs. RE11 on narrower wheels, lap times were similar but the RE11 produce better corner exit traction.

...and RE11 are old news. There are faster street tires right now: Hankook RS3, Yoko ADV08 and Toyo R1R (no GT3 sizes on this one).

RE11 need very high pressures, I run them at 42 psi front and 46 psi rear in both the Cayman and Fiat, they are heavy tires, but lap times don't lie. I have faster lap times on RE11 with these two cars than some of my Time Trial competitors on race rubber. The last time I ran RE11, I was in 2nd place overall on a NASA Time Trials, and my RE11 will be 3 years old next January, with more than 100 Heat cycles, and more than 10,000 miles.

TireRack shaves tires, just call them when ordering, and get RS3 shaved to 5/32". The RS3 have better dry grip than the MPSS and RE11.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:31 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Shaved RS3 are faster as proven by many SCCA National level Solo drivers, hundreds of drivers every year in the street tire classes driving near the limits, not the typical average Porsche weekend driver.

The key to shave tires is to increase contact patch, and reduce the flexing on the tread. Part of the cheating blamed to some car manufacturers is to show up to a test with shaved tires.

I have competed at National level SCCA Solo and ProSolo events switching between A6 (a tire that grips as good as some slicks) and RE11, the lap times difference has been quite small. Same deal when running track days with two different cars: Cayman and Fiat.

I tested the Corsa System against the R888, RE11 and Hoosier A6 on the same racetrack with Traqmate data, the Corsa came up the slowest of all. I just read from a guy with a Scuderia that performed another test a few weeks ago (using Traqmate as well) on wider BBS FI (20 lbs lighter wheels) and Corsa System vs. RE11 on narrower wheels, lap times were similar but the RE11 produce better corner exit traction.

...and RE11 are old news. There are faster street tires right now: Hankook RS3, Yoko ADV08 and Toyo R1R (no GT3 sizes on this one).

RE11 need very high pressures, I run them at 42 psi front and 46 psi rear in both the Cayman and Fiat, they are heavy tires, but lap times don't lie. I have faster lap times on RE11 with these two cars than some of my Time Trial competitors on race rubber. The last time I ran RE11, I was in 2nd place overall on a NASA Time Trials, and my RE11 will be 3 years old next January, with more than 100 Heat cycles, and more than 10,000 miles.

TireRack shaves tires, just call them when ordering, and get RS3 shaved to 5/32". The RS3 have better dry grip than the MPSS and RE11.
Rad, if I can get shaving done in Aus to avoid customs issues, I plan on trying the Hankooks... What depths are they shaving to? 5/32? 6/32?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:15 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

5/32" for competitive use. Full tread for street use.

Quick Reply: Pirelli Corsa Systems- Heat cycles and general advice