Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GMG Racing GT1 Engine Coolant Pipe Fix / Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Have we seen any 2010+ cars fittings let go?
Seems like this happens to pre 2010 cars, unless they are just not old enought to break.

Anyway if you have a 2010, seems to me you are safe for a while until they prove to let go also.

In warm climates run water wetter regardless please.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:31 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Seems like this happens to pre 2010 cars, unless they are just not old enought to break.

Anyway if you have a 2010, seems to me you are safe for a while until they prove to let go also.

While Porsche continues to look the otherway, I believe that they have changed the glue after 2009..more than one source have indicated that.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:36 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Where is the fine print: Warrenty voided
Good question..

I see no reason why Porsche would void a warranty because "the fix" to the problem solves the issue in the original design.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 09-20-2012, 01:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,954 Likes on 2,806 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Good question..

I see no reason why Porsche would void a warranty because "the fix" to the problem solves the issue in the original design.
It would be Porsche's burden to show that this "fix" contributed directly to a failure, for them to disclaim their warranty liability. This seems unlikely, so not a big risk imo.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:10 PM
johnboise3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
I saw one guy who did the pin job with the engine still in the car, said it took about 4-5 hours with R&R of powersteering pump, drilling tapping and cleanup...

Removing the engine for welding would be more...
The pin job is relatively easy leaving the engine in, EXCEPT for getting to the fitting that requires R&R of the power steering pump. That is a messy undertaking and requires a bit of expertise. I used a DYI thread I found either on this site or on 6speed...(can't remember who did it, but it was excellent, with pictures, proper drilling and tapping techniques, etc.).
Old 09-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johnboise3
The pin job is relatively easy leaving the engine in, EXCEPT for getting to the fitting that requires R&R of the power steering pump. That is a messy undertaking and requires a bit of expertise. I used a DYI thread I found either on this site or on 6speed...(can't remember who did it, but it was excellent, with pictures, proper drilling and tapping techniques, etc.).
I've seen the same post, didn't really go into how to remove the PS pump, but I'm relatively handy with a wrench... If there are no other more elegant options, this is likely what I'll do this winter...
Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 AM
cbweaver1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Yes, at the Manthey Track Day last month a 2010 GT3 lost a hose coming down the Döttinger-Höhe. Fortunately there were no injuries to car or driver. The car was repaired via the OEM method within the hour under the Manthey vehicle support tent and the driver finished the remainder of the day.
Attached Images   
Old 09-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to the wrong track days... Nothing like that setup at our DE's...
Old 09-22-2012, 05:54 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by cbweaver1
Yes, at the Manthey Track Day last month a 2010 GT3 lost a hose coming down the Döttinger-Höhe. Fortunately there were no injuries to car or driver. The car was repaired via the OEM method within the hour under the Manthey vehicle support tent and the driver finished the remainder of the day.
And herein lies the big problem of the forums. The hose you have pictured that let go has absolutely nothing to do with the glued in fittings where the epoxy lets go.

Everyone, including those who have no technical background or deep understanding of the problem at hand wants to chime in and be helpful, but in reality it only further confuses the masses.

Not a personal attack CBWeaver, just pointing out the massive inefficiency of groupthink.

Repairing the lose hose you show takes...5 seconds. You simply press it back into place and let the circlip re-engage.

Ugh
Old 09-22-2012, 06:36 PM
cbweaver1
Racer

Originally Posted by savyboy
And herein lies the big problem of the forums. The hose you have pictured that let go has absolutely nothing to do with the glued in fittings where the epoxy lets go.

Everyone, including those who have no technical background or deep understanding of the problem at hand wants to chime in and be helpful, but in reality it only further confuses the masses.

Not a personal attack CBWeaver, just pointing out the massive inefficiency of groupthink.

Repairing the lose hose you show takes...5 seconds. You simply press it back into place and let the circlip re-engage.

Ugh
No offense taken Savy. I don't fashion myself as a Porsche tech but when I see a hose pop and coolant spilling all over the place, on a shared track no less, I know there is a problem. The fitting shown, is glued in and clipped, that is how it was repaired---I watched the techs do it. Why can't it pop out again? I'm simply pointing out that this happens on 2010+ cars. What the owner wants to do (repair or permanent weld) is up to them.

BTW, group think is one of the reasons I belong to this forum......
Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

We just did a few of these in the last two months and thank you again guys for bringing in the cars
Old 08-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What engine are these pieces off of? Can anyone see or know the part numbers for these casting pieces?

Originally Posted by gmgracing

Quick Reply: GMG Racing GT1 Engine Coolant Pipe Fix / Prevention