Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

4.0 back on ebay again

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

The 991 GT3 will be a better car than the RS 4.0. Porsche has yet to not deliver with a new model. As badass as the RS 4.0 is, don't forget that it's just a way for Porsche to make it's last few dollars on the 997.2 as it nears its production demise.

Right now, as we speak -probably the best street car out of the Porsche factory. But things change rapidly.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

[
"I never said it would be collectable, it is however inarguably desirable and will be for all the right reasons for quite a few years. There won't be another Porsche factory built, 8500 rpm, warranted, street car engine putting out over 500hp for many years to come."

Normaly you make a lot of sense but this doesn't. They always come out with more power. I bet the new 991 GT3RS will be atleast that and there will be a special that is more than that. The new turbo will have more than that. My 991 has 400hp.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

I'm sure Porsche has every intention of making the next RS slower and less desireable than the current one [sic]...... Isn't that what Ferrari and all their competitors do?
Attached Images   
Old 09-13-2012, 06:12 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

^Now that's a nice car!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to get superior performance on a reasonable budget (sub $20K) with say a 997.1 over a 997.1 GT3?

I came on here intending to buy a P car to do occasional track days (once every other month) and take the wife out for a drive. I was envisioning a 997.1 2S manual w/ very low mileage. Then I learned all about IMS issues and realized that the cost of an engine failure would have bought me a much superior GT3 . But the GT3 is currently out of my budget.

How well can a Carrera be made to perform while being reliable and how much does this cost?

Sorry about the way off post... but $200K dream cars are out of my payscale.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Is it possible to get superior performance on a reasonable budget (sub $20K) with say a 997.1 over a 997.1 GT3?

I came on here intending to buy a P car to do occasional track days (once every other month) and take the wife out for a drive. I was envisioning a 997.1 2S manual w/ very low mileage. Then I learned all about IMS issues and realized that the cost of an engine failure would have bought me a much superior GT3 . But the GT3 is currently out of my budget.

How well can a Carrera be made to perform while being reliable and how much does this cost?

Sorry about the way off post... but $200K dream cars are out of my payscale.
Get a 2S with the LN engineering IMS repair already done... I'm sure you can find one if you look hard enough. Trying to better the GT3 with upgrades to your 2S can get costly, and you still won't quite be there.

The GT3 appeals to me not so much on it's performance, but as a nice overall package with excellent controls and feedback.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

We went through this debate when the scuds came out - how they would hold value, even when the 458 was right around the corner.

I was one of the guys who paid full sticker, and got absolutely creamed when I went to sell it 2 years later.

The 4.0 is a great car, and I want one badly- but I have a feeling it will get killed just like everything else does when the new better car comes out.

Of course that doesn't mean I won't pick one up if the opportunity arises for a reasonable price.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typical "have" "have not" argument. Those who recognize it's rarity and performance buy it. Others don't. But, I've never met anyone who doesn't think it's truly a great car. VTY, Allan
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM
my911rs
Rennlist Member

My hat's off to guys who like other sport cars makes or go after the flavor of the week or their buddy's advise. To each his own.
This is the GT3 forum, however. Among GT3s, the 4.0 is the greatest so far, without a doubt. Its market value speaks for itself - here and now. Who knows what the future will bring?
I agree with savyboy sentiment and would add that the 4.0 is great on the street as well, actually riding better than the 3.8.

NJ-GT - Thanks for the great money savings idea! Yes, for a little over $50K you can soup up a VW to be faster than a $200K Fiat. But if you appreciate the finer things in life, there is no substitute to the 4.0.
Cheers!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by allans
Typical "have" "have not" argument. Those who recognize it's rarity and performance buy it. Others don't. But, I've never met anyone who doesn't think it's truly a great car. VTY, Allan
Originally Posted by my911rs
My hat's off to guys who like other sport cars makes or go after the flavor of the week or their buddy's advise. To each his own.
This is the GT3 forum, however. Among GT3s, the 4.0 is the greatest so far, without a doubt. Its market value speaks for itself - here and now. Who knows what the future will bring?
I agree with savyboy sentiment and would add that the 4.0 is great on the street as well, actually riding better than the 3.8.

NJ-GT - Thanks for the great money savings idea! Yes, for a little over $50K you can soup up a VW to be faster than a $200K Fiat. But if you appreciate the finer things in life, there is no substitute to the 4.0.
Cheers!
Thread closing worthy comments if ever I read them.

John?

Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 PM
gtdoggie
Advanced

It never fails to amaze me that every time the name 4.0 RS comes up the same three individuals Izzone, NJ-GT and Nizer can't resist making derogatory statements about the car, knocking it's inherent value and basically insulting the sensibilities of those that chose to buy one or are considering one. I have watched this for over a year now. This is a forum for enthusiasts of the 997 GT3/GT3RS. Don't you girls have anything better to do? I wouldn't go on Ferrari forums and take a shot at the value of one of theirs(and I happen
to own one). For me the 4.0 was worth every hard earned penny. I knew I could wait for the newer 991 RS but chose not to, could have had a flappy paddled scud but chose not to. I am happy as a bug in the rug with my non-tracked, ***** house interior, girly white wheeled, Mezger, manual 4.0. There will always be a group of us who love the 997 GT3's and their low numbers should make them hold their values quite well. To me the premium for the 4.0 was well worth it when I sold my 3.8 RS. I agree with Savyboy that the 4.0 will likely hold value for many years. It is simply a great car.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:04 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

the world is going all digital.
the (almost analog) 4.0, imo, is at the turning point of motor vehicle production with a beautiful blend of old and new.
the greatness of this package is undeniable.
i don't own one (and most probably never will), but i can admire it as the last bastion of masculinity in a car before regulations, rules, and 21st century 'way of doing business' all but takes over from the old-school values of creativity, passion, integrity, heritage in manufacturing.

i could never want for more performance.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread !

Savyboy wins !

Izzone, NJ-GT and Nizer can now go back to their barnyard and play in the manure with all the other pretty red ponies !

If the "pony boys" wanna stay, than play nice 'cause talk is cheap and trash talk should stay on the Mustang forum !
Old 09-14-2012, 12:38 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by gtdoggie
It never fails to amaze me that every time the name 4.0 RS comes up the same three individuals Izzone, NJ-GT and Nizer can't resist making derogatory statements about the car, knocking it's inherent value and basically insulting the sensibilities of those that chose to buy one or are considering one. I have watched this for over a year now. This is a forum for enthusiasts of the 997 GT3/GT3RS. Don't you girls have anything better to do? I wouldn't go on Ferrari forums and take a shot at the value of one of theirs(and I happen
to own one). For me the 4.0 was worth every hard earned penny. I knew I could wait for the newer 991 RS but chose not to, could have had a flappy paddled scud but chose not to. I am happy as a bug in the rug with my non-tracked, ***** house interior, girly white wheeled, Mezger, manual 4.0. There will always be a group of us who love the 997 GT3's and their low numbers should make them hold their values quite well. To me the premium for the 4.0 was well worth it when I sold my 3.8 RS. I agree with Savyboy that the 4.0 will likely hold value for many years. It is simply a great car.
No doubt it is a great car, but what is this inherent value? MSRP? Fine. But thousands over MSRP? Forget it. Just silly to pay that for a production car. There is always going to be something better, or something damn near as good for a hell of a lot less.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

The 4.0 RS is probably the best driver's 911 produced yet. It's frekin amazing.

However.

If you think the values will continue to stay substantially above MSRP for years to come, you're a dreamer.

Comparisons to a CGT are just ludicrous. Anyone can duplicate an RS 4.0.