Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 facelift?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012 | 11:05 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mepps
hey nick. is urs a gt2 or a gt2rs?
GT2. I personally would never pay the premium for the RS, because I drive my cars, and that value would be lost immediately with mileage.
Old 09-16-2012 | 11:12 AM
mepps
Racer

i noticed urs has the step around the fender openings like a 3rs.....new fenders/bumper or are those just add on to the existing? thx
Old 09-16-2012 | 11:18 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
There is actually quite a bit more that is different between these cars. Suspension tuning is different with the RS getting stiffer springs and different dampers. Front wheels are .5" wider with 10 mm wider tires and a wider front track. With the Carbon bits, the RS is 100 lbs lighter. Keep in mind that you can buy all the Carbon bits and convert a GT2 to an RS body. The red interior was an option on the RS. You could still get it in all black. The .1 GT2 was the only GT car that ever offered a Bose stereo option (with a subwoofer). RS could only be had with the Sound Plus option. RS had additional delete options available: halogen headlights instead of Bi-Xenon, A/C delete and radio delete.
GT2RS has 9.5" wheels? GT2 OE wheels are 19x9. The wider track is from wider tires I thought.

Suspension tuning is different, but easily changed, and to be honest I wouldn't swap OE for OE in this instance because the aftermarket is so much better. Heims on one arm is nothing special, most track nuts swap out the entire package.

The only carbon that was standard on the RS is the hood, mirrors, and the rear window panel I think. The fenders were an option. Most of the weight difference came from AC and radio delete, although many of the cars were ordered not only with those options but also AS seats as well.

The differences are actually further indication how similar the two are- options etc. are easily changed. I personally think the real super high cost, tangible differences would be the pistons (engine build) and then the turbos. The rest don't cost anywhere as much to swap or have as much of an effect on the overall package.
Old 09-16-2012 | 11:24 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mepps
i noticed urs has the step around the fender openings like a 3rs.....new fenders/bumper or are those just add on to the existing? thx
I needed more room for 265 tires under the fenders, so I had Champion install the GT2RS standard fenders, liners and lip extensions. The RS fenders give about 1" of extra room to play with- exactly what I needed. I don't like the Cup fenders because the fit/finish is inferior to the street car items, costs significantly more, and requires too much time in the body shop to look good enough on a street car (future proofing just in case of an accident, you never know!).
Old 09-16-2012 | 11:36 AM
mepps
Racer

gotcha...thx
Old 09-16-2012 | 12:17 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

mepps- I forgot to include this-

The big problem with what I did with the tire size is- I had to use the factory rear 5mm spacer on the front. That increaases scrub radius by 5mm... but the obvious benefit is overall I increased the contact patch by 30mm. I would venture to say the actual, realized benefit would be more like adding 15-20mm of contact patch without the scrub radius change.
Old 09-17-2012 | 03:23 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTurbine
Nick you stated that the GT2RS Turbos have bigger hot sides ? Do you have any more info on the specs ? It would make sense then just to buy the GT2RS turbos and mod them
He's confused but doesn't seem to stop him spouting..... there are only two types of VTG hot side both discussed on the "ultimate VTG build" thread. the RS uses the same part number turbos as the GT2 but they run at 1.6 bar at peak power instead of 1.4 with the better intercoolers making the power.

Standard GT2s have 8.5' X 19 wheels

Standard GT2RS front fenders are identical to normal GT2 fenders, the lip extension is the RS part to give the clearance for the widened track. The RS fenders are the carbon versions (which were standard on UK models) which have the lip built in. EDIT - this is incorrect see below.

Last edited by TB993tt; 09-18-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-17-2012 | 11:26 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Nick you stated that the GT2RS Turbos have bigger hot sides ? Do you have any more info on the specs ? It would make sense then just to buy the GT2RS turbos and mod them
Originally Posted by TB993tt
He's confused but doesn't seem to stop him spouting..... there are only two types of VTG hot side both discussed on the "ultimate VTG build" thread. the RS uses the same part number turbos as the GT2 but they run at 1.6 bar at peak power instead of 1.4 with the better intercoolers making the power.

Standard GT2RS front fenders are identical to normal GT2 fenders, the lip extension is the RS part to give the clearance for the widened track. The RS fenders are the carbon versions (which were standard on UK models) which have the lip built in.
Thanks for answering my question and correcting the wrong data posted, I just cant understand why people who spout things out on forums , when asked just ignore ? or choose to not share anything i mean why would any mature person not acknowledge that his data is wrong for the sake of the other readers ? isnt this what rennlist is all about ?
Old 09-18-2012 | 01:58 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for answering my question and correcting the wrong data posted, I just cant understand why people who spout things out on forums , when asked just ignore ? or choose to not share anything i mean why would any mature person not acknowledge that his data is wrong for the sake of the other readers ? isnt this what rennlist is all about ?
Originally Posted by TB993tt

Standard GT2RS front fenders are identical to normal GT2 fenders, the lip extension is the RS part to give the clearance for the widened track. The RS fenders are the carbon versions (which were standard on UK models) which have the lip built in.
For that horse**** that Toby the Moron is as usual spouting off...

Look at this fender. This is the OE RS steel fender. This is not the same as the standard 997 fender, is it? There is a cut away for clearance as literally pointed out by the Champion Motorsport technician's fingers. In addition, there are provisions (aka HOLES just in case Toby doesn't understand the word) for clips to attach said fender extensions to the fenders in addition to tape. Not all of us like to glue **** onto our cars just for looks.

In addition to that, the fender well liners have a different part number. The standard 997 liner does not cover the well properly.

Now, if you don't want to believe me about the RS turbos, fine, I have nothing to gain or lose. I personally would LOVE to have those turbos and modify them to Champion 68mm spec but the price is too steep for the gain.

Fuxxing idiot. Go back to your hole aka "ultimate VTG build" bull****. Only thing ultimate about that is the crap being fed there. Stick to your tail lights and BBS FI wheels and stay out of big boy topics. I mean really, what idiot pays a premium for wheels that are NARROWER than OEM on the front and is proud of that even though he sticks on fender lips?

Last edited by Nick Wong; 03-21-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-18-2012 | 04:06 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Seems spouting horse**** is contagious

I am wrong about the front wings, I just checked all my research from blinging my car.
The 2RS and 3RS have the same part no different front wings/fenders as seen in pic above. The 2RS also has carbon wings/fenders as an option. The carbon ones have the lip built into them the metal ones use the clip/stick on bling lip I have (I guess it was the way it seamlessly fits the standard wing which confused me). The 2RS and 3RS have different lower lips, the bits which stick onto the front bumper/PU (due to them wearing different shaped front PUs) the carbon wings also use this lower lip.

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Now, if you don't want to believe me about the RS turbos, fine, I have nothing to gain or lose. I personally would LOVE to have those turbos and modify them to Champion 68mm spec but the price is too steep for the gain.
You must be a very valued customer.....

I mean really, what idiot pays a premium for wheels that are NARROWER than OEM on the front and is proud of that even though he sticks on fender lips?
OEM GT2 wheels are 8.5" wide at the front, RS ones are 9" wide. BBS Fi are 8.75" wide, add 6mm spacers to replicate RS track exactly and yes the blingster stickons are needed......

BTW if you think these add on lips are pointless bling you wanna see them on my other 911 -big boys look away
Old 09-20-2012 | 09:25 AM
GT
Instructor

GT2RS VTGs are same as GT2 VTGs I am afraid, I can confirm that too. There is one difference that maybe throwing people off; the diverter valve on the 2RS is not longer part of the turbo cartridge but is separate connecting with some hose. You can check that on the PET to confirm. Porsche probably did this to improve the reliability of those stock rubber diverter valves that tend to leak after spirited use - especially in modded cars. The actual turbo is identical to the GT2.

Last edited by GT; 09-20-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-20-2012 | 09:37 AM
mepps
Racer

sry for asking bout the fenders guys....dont like to see people fightin im sure you both know much more about these cars than i, now if we want to get into a discussion about german blow molding presses---i can chime in with vast knowledge! lol
Old 09-20-2012 | 02:14 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Originally Posted by GT
GT2RS VTGs are same as GT2 VTGs I am afraid, I can confirm that too. There is one difference that maybe throwing people off; the diverter valve on the 2RS is not longer part of the turbo cartridge but is separate connecting with some hose. You can check that on the PET to confirm. Porsche probably did this to improve the reliability of those stock rubber diverter valves that tend to leak after spirited use - especially in modded cars. The actual turbo is identical to the GT2.

+1 I Can confirm that they are the same also , GT Accroding to Sharkwerks the Diverter valve are all the same on the Turbocharged Mezgers

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...and-video.html

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 facelift?