Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

FS 3.8RS white 4000 miles limited time frame.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:38 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Scud wouldn't make it through a mancation
Fix the brakes (cheap) and it can do Mancation just fine.

Red Bear's car broke. GT3DE's RS broke. Trakcar barely made it with a defective clutch after just 800 miles driven since new. GT3DE's other RS broke as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'll buy one if it comes with a track use warranty and free flatbedding form Sebring to Fiat Ft Lauderdale.
Dude, my car has seen more track time than most GT3 out there, it has never left a track day on a flat bed.

I have a long list of witnessed GT3 and GT3 RS leaving a track day on a flat bed, disabled and undriveable on the trailer that brought them to the track. Many of the ones I have witnessed are regular posters here in RL.

I don't need to install monoballs, I don't need to replace a brand new clutch and pressure plate, I don't need to put on a brand new Limited Slip.

Do the math, $135k for a clean 2010 GT3 RS, then $25k on mods to make it Mancation capable, you forgot the 4.0RS clutch kit and PP so add another $4k for parts and labor, now you're near $165k, that's Scuderia price range.

My steel rotors installed this year are 405mm front and 350mm rear, front ones are thicker than my OEM CCB. Without any extra cooling, I ran the hottest track day at Sebring with zero brake fade, and now the car has the cooling ducts. My fastest Sebring laps are in 90+ degrees weather with 60% humidity, after a rain a few minutes before on a drying track, the car has a lot more in it (and even more with a better driver).

The stock Scuderia brakes give up too quickly, this is why it doesn't tolerate a long track session (unless you want to rear end all the Aero Beetles). Change the rotors, brake pads, add cooling, and problem solved. If I run on crappy tires, on a cold day, the brakes work just fine, they also work great for the average Fezza driver.

4.0RS are in the $200k range, add another $25k on mods (no need to replace clutch and PP), and you're on the $225k price range. The Scuderia needs much less, than $25 on safety modes, and you can ditch the stock CCB rotors in the used market for good money, so in the end you'll spend less than $10k making it track capable (safety, brakes and suspension updates).

The F430 Challenge (the race car) runs on the same engine and transmission as the street car, so the main vitals have been fully race tested around the world.
Amen

I have officially started saving for a scud...so checkmate reter
Old 09-08-2012, 03:51 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

ok, I'll bite too. just sold the .2 RS.

Red or white. Low mileage, pristine, any leads?
Old 09-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 9972RS
ok, I'll bite too. just sold the .2 RS.

Red or white. Low mileage, pristine, any leads?
Lol

Rennlist takes over f chat
Old 09-08-2012, 04:38 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

Dude, my car has seen more track time than most GT3 out there, it has never left a track day on a flat bed.

I have a long list of witnessed GT3 and GT3 RS leaving a track day on a flat bed, disabled and undriveable on the trailer that brought them to the track. Many of the ones I have witnessed are regular posters here in RL.

I don't need to install monoballs, I don't need to replace a brand new clutch and pressure plate, I don't need to put on a brand new Limited Slip.

Do the math, $135k for a clean 2010 GT3 RS, then $25k on mods to make it Mancation capable, you forgot the 4.0RS clutch kit and PP so add another $4k for parts and labor, now you're near $165k, that's Scuderia price range.

My steel rotors installed this year are 405mm front and 350mm rear, front ones are thicker than my OEM CCB. Without any extra cooling, I ran the hottest track day at Sebring with zero brake fade, and now the car has the cooling ducts. My fastest Sebring laps are in 90+ degrees weather with 60% humidity, after a rain a few minutes before on a drying track, the car has a lot more in it (and even more with a better driver).

The stock Scuderia brakes give up too quickly, this is why it doesn't tolerate a long track session (unless you want to rear end all the Aero Beetles). Change the rotors, brake pads, add cooling, and problem solved. If I run on crappy tires, on a cold day, the brakes work just fine, they also work great for the average Fezza driver.

4.0RS are in the $200k range, add another $25k on mods (no need to replace clutch and PP), and you're on the $225k price range. The Scuderia needs much less, than $25 on safety modes, and you can ditch the stock CCB rotors in the used market for good money, so in the end you'll spend less than $10k making it track capable (safety, brakes and suspension updates).

The F430 Challenge (the race car) runs on the same engine and transmission as the street car, so the main vitals have been fully race tested around the world.
Rad,
Did you install a roll cage or bar in your Scud?
Old 09-08-2012, 04:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

You have broken down. If you spin in the grass under bottom defuser has to be dropped to clean out ducts.

What about all the over heating and limp mode warnings of the melting electronics?

By the time you add cooling, steel brakes and brake cooling , calipers?, roll bar, seat belts anti self ignite fire retardant bags, exhaust etc. you are well into 200k if you can find that imaginary 175k no stories scud.

Than it maybe will hold up to occasional half session runs. Until I see you drive at pace all sessions for the whole session weekend after weekend I am skeptical, but prove me wrong. See you at Chin oct nov dec at Sebring and PBOC Winterfest at Sebring only 10 track days in a row.

It would be great if you could prove it and show us the real running cost, but first you have to actually start running 200 miles per track day at speed, not 4 flyer laps and cool car down... I'm not a Porsche guy I'm a track guy. Id drive a corvette if it drove nicer and be more dependable and I could tell my neighbors I'm not a drug dealer if I bought a fiat I guess.
I am impressed how much room there is in a scud! But I would look weird with a bandana....
Or you can grab a aero beetle for 145 k and know it will run 20k miles weekend after weekend. If you want faster laptimes or a new challenge there's the GT2 RS..

The 200+k for a 4.0 is absolutely not worth it for performance, I just want one because they exist.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

You have broken down. If you spin in the grass under bottom defuser has to be dropped to clean out ducts.

What about all the over heating and limp mode warnings of the melting electronics?

By the time you add cooling, steel brakes and brake cooling , calipers?, roll bar, seat belts anti self ignite fire retardant bags, exhaust etc. you are well into 200k if you can find that imaginary 175k no stories scud.

Than it maybe will hold up to occasional half session runs. Until I see you drive at pace all sessions for the whole session weekend after weekend I am skeptical, but prove me wrong. See you at Chin oct nov dec at Sebring and PBOC Winterfest at Sebring only 10 track days in a row.

It would be great if you could prove it and show us the real running cost, but first you have to actually start running 200 miles per track day at speed, not 4 flyer laps and cool car down... I'm not a Porsche guy I'm a track guy. Id drive a corvette if it drove nicer and be more dependable and I could tell my neighbors I'm not a drug dealer if I bought a fiat I guess.
I am impressed how much room there is in a scud! But I would look weird with a bandana....
Or you can grab a aero beetle for 145 k and know it will run 20k miles weekend after weekend. If you want faster laptimes or a new challenge there's the GT2 RS..

The 200+k for a 4.0 is absolutely not worth it for performance, I just want one because they exist.
Hater, I'm at Gucci right now with lollipop shopping for red velvet loafers

I'm going to look dope in my fiat
Old 09-08-2012, 05:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I stand corrected, here you go http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...21584084&Log=0

But they sell them with 3 pedals, why did you not say so? That fixes half the "slow down" "hight temp" limp mode errors I bet
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...28781882&Log=0

170k makes it your I guess.

Anyone ever have a limp mode come on in a GT3? I don't even know if they do that?

They even sell convertible scuds!!!!
That's like selling a GT3RS convertible hahaha, I guess that says enough
Old 09-08-2012, 05:39 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

If all you want is FAASST and runs forever then you should buy a Viper ACR, reliable truck motor, drivetrain and tons of downforce. Better a Viper before a Scud. No Porsche or Fiat tax on parts.

Peter
Old 09-08-2012, 05:42 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

What's the reason for that? Because Scud comes stock w/ the big CCB, right? Is that not up to the task?

Trackrats change out the Porsche PCCB mostly due to the replacement cost (or saving them for the next buyer.. hmm), but is that not the case w/ Scud's CCB setup? That there's actually a performance issue w/ it?

Old 09-08-2012, 05:46 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

The only time it broke down, was our last trip to Sebring back in May. I still drove the Fiat back home from Sebring. The car burned two sensors located on the differential case, one of them controls the e-diff and the other one controls the F1 transmission. I had the failure already before going to Sebring, but decided to drive with the limp mode anyway, as it defaults to the 2nd slowest from 5 manettino settings (Sport). Big disappointment as the limp mode was making the car shifts by itself, and the Sport mode is extremely intrusive so I would not be able to get on the power.

Video Proof:

Why did the sensors burned out? because my Capristo exhaust pipes were shipped over 18 months ago without their insulation jackets (that I already pay for), the heat from the exhaust burned the sensors. The car just got the insulation jackets installed last week (Thanks Eddie!!!). With the insulation heat shields in place, the sensors would not have burned.

My Fiat has only overheated the brakes (known problem and fixed already), and this exhaust melting the electronics (my fault and Antonio Capristo's fault).

Dropping the diffuser takes 15 minutes. Cleaning the car after a spin on dry grass is mandatory on any car. Dry grass is flammable.

I'm doing Chin and PBOC Sebring, you're invited to join me at NASA Sebring in October and have a shot at the Sebring track record in TTU.

After 13,000 miles, my clutch has 38% life left, the spare kit has been sitting in my office for 3+ years, less than $2k on parts.

The cost of updates to the Scuderia for track day use is under $10k. No need to install my exhaust system, the stock one is fine, but it won't produce the power my car makes. The rollbar sells for $2k and bolts right on, with minimum modifications, I just found it a few weeks ago, and it will go in the car in the next few weeks. Stock seats are good for track use, similar in design to the stock 3.8RS seats. Seat harnesses are cheap, springs are cheap, rotors are cheap, pads are cheap, brake cooling ducts are cheap.

Ignore the asking prices on the Scuderia, pay attention to sold prices, auction prices, and trade-in value prices. Most asking prices are $10k-$30k too high.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:51 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I stand corrected, here you go http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...21584084&Log=0

But they sell them with 3 pedals, why did you not say so? That fixes half the "slow down" "hight temp" limp mode errors I bet
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...28781882&Log=0

170k makes it your I guess.

Anyone ever have a limp mode come on in a GT3? I don't even know if they do that?

They even sell convertible scuds!!!!
That's like selling a GT3RS convertible hahaha, I guess that says enough
3 pedals are in the F430, no Scuderia with 3 pedals.

My custom exhaust would burn the same sensors on a 3 pedal F430, and the e-diff error will force a limp mode as well.

I would rather take limp mode as a preventive measurement to avoid damage to the car, than a car that breaks parts left and right with no warning. Every single GT3 and RS in the DE Cup Gold Cup and Platinum Cup has broken down, and they repair bills are $$$$.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:58 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cfjan
What's the reason for that? Because Scud comes stock w/ the big CCB, right? Is that not up to the task?

Trackrats change out the Porsche PCCB mostly due to the replacement cost (or saving them for the next buyer.. hmm), but is that not the case w/ Scud's CCB setup? That there's actually a performance issue w/ it?
Zero cooling.

Take a GT3 with PCCB or steel brakes, remove the stock brake cooling ducts, add sticky tires (Hoosiers), you will surely cook the brakes. Trakcar 2.1 was cooking the brakes at Mancation despite of having modified front cooling ducts, better front rotors, race brake fluid, good track brake pads.

The F430 Challenge comes with the brake cooling kit, these are straight installation pieces on the street F430 and 430 Scuderia.

Without adding brake cooling ducts, I fixed the brake issue by running a wider and larger front rotor, but just recently Orbit Racing added brake cooling ducts. The front brakes are the only problem, rear brakes are barely used.

Most Scuderia owners would claim perfection on the brake system, but it is hard to abuse the brakes going to Cars and Coffee.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

3 pedals are in the F430, no Scuderia with 3 pedals.

My custom exhaust would burn the same sensors on a 3 pedal F430, and the e-diff error will force a limp mode as well.

I would rather take limp mode as a preventive measurement to avoid damage to the car, than a car that breaks parts left and right with no warning. Every single GT3 and RS in the DE Cup Gold Cup and Platinum Cup has broken down, and they repair bills are $$$$.
Do you need a scud? Or are we stuck with flappy's?

How much labor to install the new clutch?

I hate them on the street, I tried using them on the track and I hated it... Maybe I just need to get used to it, but seems like less fun.

The only thing that breaks on a 3.8 is clutch and pp, about $2k in parts. The LSD is not up to par but that's only about $1500 installed.

A 3.8RS is about as fast as a stock scud with only durability upgrades right?

What is the NASA date?
Old 09-08-2012, 06:56 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Every single GT3 and RS in the DE Cup Gold Cup and Platinum Cup has broken down, and they repair bills are $$$$.
BULL****.

Not of my cars have "broken down". Not any of the 3 - not the 2010 GT3 nor either of the 2011 GT3Rs's. Each car has had a problems at the track that was human error - twice mine, once someone else. So far of 18k miles, at least 15k is on the track. Bullet-proof.

The 2010 GT3 did not "break down" - instead I over-torqued the centerlocks to 600 fp instead of 600 nm and I broke the hub.

The white RS did not "break down" at Road America - instead I money shifted it 3x and I broke off the flywheel.

The Silver RS did not "break down" at WGI a few weeks ago -- instead some idiot put the hose clamps on the radiator hoses on BACKWARDS.

These are so "bullet-proof" that I have named my latest RS "Silver Bullet"

Quick Reply: FS 3.8RS white 4000 miles limited time frame.