Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Easy to get CPO on an '10 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012 | 12:59 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Default Easy to get CPO on an '10 RS?

I've found a couple RSs for private sale (s996 listed one recently). Looks like three different owners on each (original -> dealer -> 2nd owner). How do I go about getting CPO? Can I buy it from a dealer, or does it take a bottle of highland?

Both cars have roll bars and bypass exhausts...does that pose any problems?

cheers,

Jacy
Old 08-25-2012 | 02:15 PM
Gus F
Instructor

Hi, I also have interest in some advice, I recently bought a '10 RS, the car is coming from the west coast and I will be the 3rd owner,.. Original dealer, dealer#2 (they wanted to resale the car for a premium), 1st. private owner, and now me,..
Old 08-25-2012 | 02:41 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

I think the best way to get it done is to build a relationship with a local dealer. The way I've seen it work is that you find the car then you negotiate with a dealer to purchase the car and CPO it for you. Assume they will pickup a fee for the transaction. When I was shopping PP cars, the CPO cert was between $2 and $2.5K. The fee I'd negotiated with a couple of dealers was between $2K and $4K on top. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, you could probably do better. Remember that if the car is not up to spec for CPO certification, you will also have to pay to bring it up to spec. IIRC, CPO mandates tires and pads must be OEM spec and over 50%. That could mean a new set of MPSC's ($2500 ish for a set) or pads ($700ish plus labor).

Hope that helps.
Old 08-25-2012 | 02:44 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

What I have discovered after talking to two dealers.

1) They will do a "through" process that lets the private seller sell it to the dealer and then you buy it from them. Both have told me that would want a small markup for the trouble, but were not specific.
2) The car needs to pass inspection for CPO, which involves a deep dive into the DME to see if the car has been tracked. They've got some sort of heuristic they apply to over revs - though I'd guess it would need to be very obvious. I beat the hell out of my M3 on the street - the only way you'd know I track the motor is the average MPG or a duration over7K rpm. Maybe they do this...anyone know?
3) 3rd party mods are bad. Both said the exhaust would need to go to stock and were not happy about a roll bar - which implies the car will be tracked.
4) You would have to pay for the consumables to be considered new - tires, brake pads.
5) $2500 for the warranty - which seemed low to me.
Old 08-25-2012 | 04:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I paid my local dealer $1K plus the cost of the CPO to be a pass-thru for my private party Porsche purchases.
Old 08-25-2012 | 05:04 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LVDell
I paid my local dealer $1K plus the cost of the CPO to be a pass-thru for my private party Porsche purchases.
Ditto.

Bought and sold this way.
Old 08-25-2012 | 06:16 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Anyone know someone at harper Porsche in Knoxville? I tried Austin, and they were pretty useless.
Old 08-26-2012 | 03:26 AM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Joey Collins is a real good guy, and salesman at Harper Porsche. He owns a GT3 as well.
Old 08-26-2012 | 09:59 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
What I have discovered after talking to two dealers.

1) They will do a "through" process that lets the private seller sell it to the dealer and then you buy it from them. Both have told me that would want a small markup for the trouble, but were not specific.
2) The car needs to pass inspection for CPO, which involves a deep dive into the DME to see if the car has been tracked. They've got some sort of heuristic they apply to over revs - though I'd guess it would need to be very obvious. I beat the hell out of my M3 on the street - the only way you'd know I track the motor is the average MPG or a duration over7K rpm. Maybe they do this...anyone know?
3) 3rd party mods are bad. Both said the exhaust would need to go to stock and were not happy about a roll bar - which implies the car will be tracked.
4) You would have to pay for the consumables to be considered new - tires, brake pads.
5) $2500 for the warranty - which seemed low to me.
I did this a few years ago with an 05 MB CL65, not a car you'd want without warranty.
Local dealers did not have one (only about 240 produced worldwide.), so sent my local MB the wire to go buy it from another independent dealer after I gave the independent non MB dealer the deposit. I paid the fees and enjoyed MB' s great CPO plan for 7 years and 100k miles.

I proposed the same to a few South Florida Porsche dealers but none were willing to do it. CPO on cars available in stock
Old 08-26-2012 | 11:32 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Porsche of Nashville did one of my transactions for me if that is nearby.
Old 08-26-2012 | 11:54 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Why would you need to CPO a car that is still under porsche warranty ?

I mean a 2010 wouldn't that car still have some factory warranty on it until 2013 at least ?

are you just planning ahead ? might be just easier to own the car for a bit, bring it to dealer for maintenance and speak about the CPO then ?
Old 08-26-2012 | 04:23 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996toomey
Porsche of Nashville did one of my transactions for me if that is nearby.
Interesting. I spoke with someone at Harper in Knoxville on friday, they didn't seem very enthusiastic. Would you mind Pm'ing me contact info you have/referral? Cheers,
jacy
Old 08-26-2012 | 04:24 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by philooo
Why would you need to CPO a car that is still under porsche warranty ?

I mean a 2010 wouldn't that car still have some factory warranty on it until 2013 at least ?

are you just planning ahead ? might be just easier to own the car for a bit, bring it to dealer for maintenance and speak about the CPO then ?
Was planning to keep the car a while, plus very unlikely it would make CPO the next time around, so this would increase resale value.
Old 08-26-2012 | 04:29 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

make sense

I just always have such bad time with dealer down here in Florida. I mean, the cars are selling like hot cakes, any imports at least, they make enough money to not have to care for anything else then putting the money on their accounts.
Old 08-27-2012 | 02:33 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

has anyone with an '07/08 with CPO tried to get warranty work done when the car is clearly seeing track use? Trying to see if I am making assumptions that don't matter.

Quick Reply: Easy to get CPO on an '10 RS?