Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 GT3 over rev ranges

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 12:15 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

If you floor the gas in neutral, the engine will only go to a certain rpm before it cuts either ignition or injector. That’s what I thought you were asking. As for the number of RPMs, you’ll have to consult the manual or talk to a dealer. I’m not sure many here will freely rev to answer unless they have prior experience.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:18 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
If you floor the gas in neutral, the engine will only go to a certain rpm before it cuts either ignition or injector. That’s what I thought you were asking. As for the number of RPMs, you’ll have to consult the manual or talk to a dealer. I’m not sure many here will freely rev to answer unless they have prior experience.
I guess I'm more concerned with whether the limiter works when the clutch is engaged/pressed, i.e. when gears and neutral are all disengaged. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:03 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
If you accelerate hard and bounce against the rev limiter a few times will you definitely trigger a Range I?
I don't think that's true in a GT3. They have different ranges than the street based cars.
Here's a great breakdown of the GT3 DME system.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:08 AM
globed
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by QueueCumber
I guess I'm more concerned with whether the limiter works when the clutch is engaged/pressed, i.e. when gears and neutral are all disengaged. Thanks.
Yes, the ignition cuts in/out and you’ll hear the machine gun type of sound. I’ve done it during heel and toe, just like you’re asking. You cannot throttle your way into big time over-revs... only by slotting into the wrong gear.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:27 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by globed
Yes, the ignition cuts in/out and you’ll hear the machine gun type of sound. I’ve done it during heel and toe, just like you’re asking. You cannot throttle your way into big time over-revs... only by slotting into the wrong gear.
Ok cool. Thanks! Was afraid to even try to heel to toe without that info. I haven’t had to do it for over ten years so I’ll need a decent learning curve on the blips that the limiter will provide.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:49 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by globed
It is possible to get over revs in neutral. Not sure about the GT3 though.
My C2S has range a few incidents of range 4 from an overzealous blip.
I was on the track and didn;t have Sport mode engaged because it was raining and the sensitive throttle was too
squirrely on some of the off camber sweepers. I came down the back straight and tried to H/T but it wouldn't blip high enough.
So, like an idiot I just mashed the gas harder. Oops. I knew I messed up. Left the session and immediately ran the Durametric.
Range 4 achieved.

Last edited by Hella-Buggin'; 07-29-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:10 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

... OP, keep in mind, over-revs are captured DIFFERENTLY by all the variations of these cars. In answering your question, others will need to be very specific about WHICH type car they are referring to.

As Hella-Buggin posted above, Doug @ switchcars does a great job of describing the differences even between Gen 1 997 GT3, and Gen 2 997 GT3.

The OP's car is a 997.2 which is very difficult to over-rev, especially while clutch engaged.

=S
Old 04-11-2020, 02:05 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Which diagnostic scanners can read the DME report from the engine? (I have an Porsche V2.0 iCarsoft for my 991.1 Carrera, which has an engine diagnostic field, but I was unable to get a DME report from it (although I didn't try too hard).)
Old 04-17-2020, 06:08 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
If you accelerate hard and bounce against the rev limiter a few times will you definitely trigger a Range I?
I think that's true in the other variants bt not the GT3.
I think Range 1 is 500 above redline.
Doug at switchcars posted a very informative video about gt3 Rev Ranges.

Quick Reply: 997.2 GT3 over rev ranges