Just making sure..TPM no effect on per

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:52 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Just making sure..TPM no effect on per

Just wanting to double check.

If I have a set of tires and wheels with no sensor's----then I will of course get the stupid red exclamation mark, but there will be absolutely no decrease in a performance parameter-----right ?

2010 GT3
Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed. Have a set of trackwheels incoming and would prefer no sensors since they will start of every track session as "low pressure". But I kind of like them on my street wheels. On my RS.1 it was not an issue, but I've heard that on the 997.2 it would indicate them as "flat tire" if no sensors were present and turn on all the nannies. If this is the case I will have to turn on TPS all together to avoid the problem
Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

I have run a lot of autocrosses with the stupid warning on.

Just triple checking. It doesn't turn the nannies on.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 294 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik
Subscribed. Have a set of trackwheels incoming and would prefer no sensors since they will start of every track session as "low pressure". But I kind of like them on my street wheels. On my RS.1 it was not an issue, but I've heard that on the 997.2 it would indicate them as "flat tire" if no sensors were present and turn on all the nannies. If this is the case I will have to turn on TPS all together to avoid the problem
Just gives stupid light

No decrease in performance

Or just turn them off
Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ good to know. I seem to remember that Reter at one point got a flat tire at Sebring, and computer quickly turned all the nannies on and saved him from potential damage.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 786 Posts

The car will turn on TC and SC only when ABS sensors (I guess) measure rotation is off. NOT TPS.

It will indicate you have a flat tire warning in red (Different from the regular warning.) and turn on TC and SC. This has nothing to do with TPM.
This happens when your tire is about to go flap flap flap. If you ever see the car turn its nannies on, its time to slow down and assume you are riding on the rim.

I tried to make them work. Better then the .1 version, but useless on the track.
I have them in my track only BBS and they go bad after just a few track days. Even when they are not bad yet they some quit working after 10-15 minutes and never work good again after, it will take long for the pressures to show up etc.

It's weird, sometimes I drive an entire weekend with 2 TPS working and they keep working until they go bad permanently. Others will come on during an easy ride to the gas station but die in the first lap.

My street wheels work perfect all the time every day and accurate too.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since my street wheels are my track wheels (OEM) I'll give my 2 cents:

For me they are very handy. You can check pressures while on the track so you know (of course you feel it too) when pressures get too high. The read-out is less precise than with a decent tool, but it is good enough to give an indication. When deflating/inflating I always use a tool to measure every tyre of course.

At the end of the track day just go in the TPMS menu and because it takes tyre temp into account it will tell you how much you need to add to each tyre to have correct street presssures. Usually it is around 0.7 bar for the rear and 0.5-0.6 for the fronts. The result is that when they cool down they are a lot closer to the correct street pressure compared to the "oh i'll put the rears on 3.0, that should be ok for when they cool down" way of setting pressures at the end of an event. It also doesnt matter if the car was standing for 5 minutes or 1 hour, TPMS will give you the correct value. And because it updates the values in real-time you can just connect any compressor and let it inflate the tyre whilst keeping an eye on the dash.

At first I thought it was a useless option, but since I didn't spec the car I got it anyway. Now I find myself using it quite a lot and I would spec it were I to order a GT3.

Also never have issues with non-working TPMS.

The only annoying thing is that when you go below -0.5 bar after temperature correction (so for instance a rear tyre at 2.0 bar hot on track, which is approx 1.6 cold and therefore -0.6 bar compared to street pressure) the system triggers a warning and you have an exclamation mark on the dash. What is even more annoying is that it will always happen during a run so for a fraction you are distracted by the error sound + the message on your dash. To make matters worse it does this for every wheel separately, so you end up getting an error 3-4 times on separate occasions. Every time I think something went wrong with the car, until I check the dashboard.

my 2cents
Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I agree with all that.
How do you make them last??

I wonder if the after sales tps is a lesser quality?
Anyone have the latest part #?

I should have the 2010 OEM in my BBS, but 100 track days in the heat and +\- 15 sensors later none work still.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Have a set of OEM sensors in my track wheels and agree with everything ir_fuel said. They're well worth the $500 or so. I always track with the tire pressure screen right below the tach and find the constant feedback on the track real useful for gauging expected vs. actual tire performance.

To the OP's question, I've had all sorts of TPMS-related tire message from low pressure to flat tires to sensors not recognized and what not. None of them altered the car's handling behavior. A red exclamation mark on the dash IS a nuisance for me however, and I hate to have that mask any developing problems on the track so I do my best to clear the car of error messages before I give it the beans...
Old 08-20-2012, 10:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CRex
Have a set of OEM sensors in my track wheels and agree with everything ir_fuel said. They're well worth the $500 or so. I always track with the tire pressure screen right below the tach and find the constant feedback on the track real useful for gauging expected vs. actual tire performance.

To the OP's question, I've had all sorts of TPMS-related tire message from low pressure to flat tires to sensors not recognized and what not. None of them altered the car's handling behavior. A red exclamation mark on the dash IS a nuisance for me however, and I hate to have that mask any developing problems on the track so I do my best to clear the car of error messages before I give it the beans...
So they always work?
I spent probably $1500 and none work anymore?

I'm on the same page as you, I hate messages!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
So they always work?
I spent probably $1500 and none work anymore?
You're running something extreme there bro... I have slightly more than half your number of track days but am still on the first set of separately purchased TPM sensors for the track wheels. U sure other fellow RL'ers aren't torpedoing your rig when you're not looking?

For me I swap from street to track wheels, reset TPMS and the sensors get recognized within the out lap. End of a weekend I do the reverse, and again sensors get picked up before I'm even off the track premises. I store my wheels trackside when not in use so they're not constantly moved around (was told these beacons power off when not in use) but that alone shouldn't contribute to such a huge difference...

Are your rear sensors dying faster than the fronts? Just saying, temperature, shock, storage condition are some of the variables...
Old 08-20-2012, 10:34 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Sabotage is widespread ;-)

When I go from track wheels they pickup instantly, reverse takes a good 5-10 minute ride if they pickup ever. Fronts and rears die equally. I do park my car ever day next to all my track wheels, but never reset tps.. Still they never get used as many hours as my OEM wheels...

Maybe because we go out at 22 psi and they go up 12-14psi and overheat?
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Maybe they struggle with extreme pressure difference and temp difference

Erik...u can use for street wheels and ignore on track....it's not hard to tell if a tire is going low, car drive like sh$t

I turned it off completely, lights annoy me
Old 08-21-2012, 02:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,890 Likes on 2,409 Posts

randy is the fastest.
just turn it off permanently.
i did it on geisha and did it on killer wheel last week too.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
randy is the fastest.
just turn it off permanently.
i did it on geisha and did it on killer wheel last week too.
Not fastest

I'm buffalo in middle of the heard

The one in front always gets shot

The one in the back is always yellow , most likely a pace car

Quick Reply: Just making sure..TPM no effect on per