Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Movit Brakes on GT3 Update. Monumentally Capable and Bulletproof. Pictures/Details

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like a majority of the cost (and rightfully so) is in the rotor. Peter, I don't think you would be saving much over what you use right now, if I were ready to spend $30k+ on a brake kit I bet Movit could include calipers and 380/350 rotors that fit under 18" wheels. Fantastic product, just not price sensitive enough for me.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 AM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Savyboy
Are the front rotors you have the Gen 2 or Gen 3 variety
I note that both are in the 396mm sizes
Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 AM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

Originally Posted by modoz61
Hi Savyboy
Are the front rotors you have the Gen 2 or Gen 3 variety
I note that both are in the 396mm sizes
The only difference between Gen 2 and Gen 3 rotors are Gen 2 are 34mm thick and Gen 3 are 40mm thick. The full MovIt kits are Gen 3 in front the replacement OE rotors or upsized rotors for use with Porsche calipers are Gen 2 rotors.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:18 PM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks TF
I've contacted the local supplier here in OZ but no response yet
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

he's still calculating the cost
Old 08-16-2012, 09:47 PM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

Thanks TF
No problem
Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks TF
As per post #10

I had a quote from the Australian distributor 9 months ago, wait for it.... $43,396 including GST and postage.... all I can say is wow, when I came too.

Cheers
Jay
Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Kaizu
Instructor

Guys...I'm very sorry that I cannot be more specific but just some information:

- I believe the product is very good (and very light!?)
- Yet I rarely see race/track cars with Movit Ceramics...and I see and know many cars that are built by pro teams with pro engineers and drivers...

- I know a guy who has a 997 GT3 RS and he has had these Movit Ceramics for a couple of years. He tracks the car maybe max. 5 times per one year...(these are private track days, 3-4 hour events with open pit lane, organized by me)

- Currently, after a couple of years of use, he just sent the rotors back to Movit for some "maintenance"...no clue about the current status. I don't know whether he is currently happy with the product, but it seems they need some maintenance if not replacement. It might be just professionally "grinding" the rotors...I apologize that I don't know the specifics...just FYI.

Last edited by Kaizu; 08-17-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Btw. His car is a monster, including RS-Tuning X.X liter engine, GT3R aerodynamics, lightweight CF parts etc etc :)
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 PM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kaizu
Guys...I'm very sorry that I cannot be more specific but just some information:

- I believe the product is very good (and very light!?)
- Yet I rarely see race/track cars with Movit Ceramics...and I see and know many cars that are built by pro teams with pro engineers and drivers...

- I know a guy who has a 997 GT3 RS and he has had these Movit Ceramics for a couple of years. He tracks the car maybe max. 5 times per one year...(these are private track days, 3-4 hour events with open pit lane, organized by me)

- Currently, after a couple of years of use, he just sent the rotors back to Movit for some "maintenance"...no clue about the current status. I don't know whether he is currently happy with the product, but it seems they need some maintenance if not replacement. It might be just professionally "grinding" the rotors...I apologize that I don't know the specifics...just FYI.
This maintenance can be several things. The CER rotor will nearly last a lifetime and is repairable. If a pad is run too low and damages the surface it can be repaired. If the car goes off road and sand or rocks get stuck in between the rotor and pads and scratch the surface the rotor can be repaired. Here is the quote directly from MovIt about the rotor and the repairing if needed.

"The MOV’IT-CER™ rotors offers a unique and homogeneous material structure, a very high life span, improved mechanical and thermal characteristics and a continuous structure. In case of damage, MOV‘IT offers a cost-efficient method of refurbishment, after which the refurbished disc is as good as new."
Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Cost efficient might be relative for $30k brakes...
Old 08-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kaizu

there is a simple reason for this - most series rules exclude this level of technology from the engineers' playbook. However, you do see these brakes in the 24 Hours at the Nürburgring and in the VLN. Some years ago the Carbon Carbon technology was excluded from F1, whether there will be any shifts on this is unclear.

The cars that benefit most from this tech are big and heavy, these are most likely to be running in series which strive to keep costs down.

The Supercup runs PCCBs but this is a marketing series....

R+C
Old 08-19-2012, 03:36 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
there is a simple reason for this - most series rules exclude this level of technology from the engineers' playbook. However, you do see these brakes in the 24 Hours at the Nürburgring and in the VLN.
What teams in the VLN run PCCB's, and more specifically Movit ceramics?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:38 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
The cars that benefit most from this tech are big and heavy, these are most likely to be running in series which strive to keep costs down.
I don't know if I can agree with this. The biggest advantage of PCCB's is the weight. Less rotating mass. That is something every car can benefit from.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:43 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
What teams in the VLN run PCCB's, and more specifically Movit ceramics?
I don't know which teams run PCCBs in the VLN/Nürburgring 24Hrs. Not all those teams running in classes which allow this level of tech are prepared to discuss exactly who has supplied all their components.

A cursory examination of Movit's web site will give you an indication of their Motorsport involvement. You will see that their ferrous rotor based systems are also popular in competition and on sporting cars.

R+C
Old 08-20-2012, 04:48 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I don't know if I can agree with this. The biggest advantage of PCCB's is the weight. Less rotating mass. That is something every car can benefit from.
Yes, all cars benefit from the reduction in unsprung mass. In the case of heavy cars there is an additional benefit - longer lasting brake systems allow teams to avoid having to change rotors/pads during a long race; this is less of an issue with lighter cars.

R+C

Quick Reply: Movit Brakes on GT3 Update. Monumentally Capable and Bulletproof. Pictures/Details