Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Movit Brakes on GT3 Update. Monumentally Capable and Bulletproof. Pictures/Details

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Movit Brakes on GT3 Update. Monumentally Capable and Bulletproof. Pictures/Details

I have been posting for a while now on the MovIt brakes that I have been experimenting with on my cars. First with OE sized Carbon/Silicon/Carbide rotors only, then 396mm/362mm f/r rotors only and finally the 396mm/380mm rotor and billet caliper kit.

Had the opportunity to get 4 track days on the new kit with OE P40 type compound pads and recently 2 more days on a new "P45" type compound that has been developed by Pagid for ceramic rotors to try and capture the pros of P40/P50 without the drawbacks of either.

Bottom line- for those to whom the value proposition makes sense, it is a simply amazing braking solution. Over two track days the pads wore approx .3mm, from 16mm to 15.7mm thickness (includes backing plate). That is some crazy stuff if you think about it.

Rotors:
  • Last forever, never wear. Go from car to car to car.
  • Never warp.
  • Physically much stronger than OE Porsche PCCB.
Calipers:
  • Billet- withstands twice the PSI braking pressure before deformation compared to OE.
  • Rigid caliper + Resized pistons = No more tapered pad wear.
  • Rock solid brake pedal.
New "P45" PADS:
  • Longer wearing than P40.
  • Easier to modulate than P40.
  • Great bite when cold/wet unlike P50.
  • Not abrasive to rotors like P50
Overall Observations:
  • Ultimate inspiration of confidence.
  • Cost of consumables greatly reduced.
  • Impossible to fade the brakes.
  • Better modulation vs OE Steel or PCCB.
  • Rear of car is rock solid under hard braking. Zero tail wag.
  • Open top rear caliper design allows pad change without removing calipers.
  • Weight of calipers/rotor system falls between that of OE PCCB/Steel system. But the MovIt system is several magnitudes more capable than either.
  • They look cool as hell.
The one single drawback:
  • Approx 5mm clearance between caliper body and wheel allows bits and pieces of gravel to get caught and scratches both. Cosmetic and the price of admission to F1 technology is how I view this.

If you want more info, Tom Frederico (Tom@tfent.com) is the USA distributor (I have no financial association). The "P45" is not publicly available yet and I know nothing about when they will be. For currently tracking PCCB owners, it won't be soon enough that is for sure

It is an incredible system, and currently the best money can buy. Personally I am thrilled to leave the world of pad flipping, fragile OE PCCB rotors and chunking pads. At current rate of pad wear, it is looking like I will get 25-30 track days on a set of pads, that would be a 5x or 6x improvement from OE.
Attached Images      
Old 07-15-2012, 03:21 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That setup looks sick!

But I am afraid the price will be as sick unfortunately
Old 07-15-2012, 04:21 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
That setup looks sick!

i just heard back from MOVIT's distributor in S.E. Asia, and they quoted me $US 24,500 before shipping, for a complete kit (rotors + calipers).

ouch!
Old 07-15-2012, 04:25 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
That setup looks sick!

Considered in a vacuum of other factors, it would certainly shock. For me the thought process went like this (let's say 30 track days as one of the variables):

Spec new car with steel brakes instead of PCCB- save $8200 (but still have weight benefits).
5:1 pad life - save $4500 parts + $2000 labor.
Mid-life pad flips - labor/hassle factor $1500.
PCCB rotors (worn out)- $18,000 or ? how much in steel rotors (personally don't know how long they last)?
Confidence/stopping power - $? (priceless?)
------------------------------------
$34,200 "savings" which is more than the cost of this system. The more track days you do, the more the math works out. Also consider residual value if resold and/or value of rotors going to your next car and so on. There are a number of ways to consider the value proposition. I realize I was having my cake and eating it to in the math above by including steel and expensing PCCB

Originally Posted by hesperus
i just heard back from MOVIT's distributor in S.E. Asia, and they quoted me $US 24,500 before shipping, for a complete kit (rotors + calipers).

ouch!
That is way cheaper than in the US and if you work the maths, a bargain.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:48 PM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by savyboy
That is way cheaper than in the US and if you work the maths, a bargain.
you know what, i just realized he may have been quoting me in $US, not Singapore dollars... in which case, its over $US 30k for the system.

i guess too rich for my blood, considering i don't track anywhere close to as frequently or as hard as you do!

keep the updates coming however, love what you've done to your car!
Old 07-15-2012, 05:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I had to sit when I saw this price.....WOW! I'm usually good at talking myself into things and justifying costs of most things...but I just can't fathom the cost of this brake kit. Even resale...who has the money to buy it anyway?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:26 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by hesperus
you know what, i just realized he may have been quoting me in $US, not Singapore dollars... in which case, its over $US 30k for the system.

i guess too rich for my blood, considering i don't track anywhere close to as frequently or as hard as you do!

keep the updates coming however, love what you've done to your car!
~$30k certainly sounds more realistic

Originally Posted by mdrums
I had to sit when I saw this price.....WOW! I'm usually good at talking myself into things and justifying costs of most things...but I just can't fathom the cost of this brake kit. Even resale...who has the money to buy it anyway?
There are currently less than ten oversize rotor kits and full kits in the wild in the US. As I have always said this is not for everone but a specific group of GT3 owners can make a quite compelling case for investment in one.

I am thrilled to drive on a single set of brakes for 30 track days. Reduced hassle factor alone is worth $$$$ to me.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Kind of like do I buy airline tickets for travel for my business career...or....go baller and buy my own G6.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Very interesting - thanks for the post.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:04 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a quote from the Australian distributor 9 months ago, wait for it.... $43,396 including GST and postage.... all I can say is wow, when I came too.

Jay
Old 07-16-2012, 07:24 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Very interesting - thanks for the post.
+1, really enjoyed fantasizing about a set of these but along with Akrapovic exhausts way beyond my man maths thresholds of $$$$$ pain

What is even more frustrating is the discs are made very close to where I live.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ur20v
I had a quote from the Australian distributor 9 months ago, wait for it.... $43,396 including GST and postage.... all I can say is wow, when I came too.

Jay
does anybody buy parts locally anymore?

get them from the u.s.

ps: the ur quattros were a funky car!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't get it. What's wrong with the porsche brakes? If you don't want to burn up the ceramics, just put steel on. Problem solved.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I don't get it. What's wrong with the porsche brakes? If you don't want to burn up the ceramics, just put steel on. Problem solved.
Some people have money burning a hole in their pockets.......like the young Eurotrash you hang out with.......

Me persoanly, I have driven a couple of PCCB cars on the track (Nick Wongs most recently)....I hate the feel. It is like a lightswitch opposed to a dimmer switch of PFC08. I try to drag the brake into a corner lightly and the nose stays planted

Savy.....maybe your set-up is different for feel......but the Porsche factory stuff sucks. Maybe it is good for some cars and cafe guy that doesnt like brake dust
Old 07-16-2012, 10:14 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Could you just put pfc steel rotors and 08's on there instead?

Quick Reply: Movit Brakes on GT3 Update. Monumentally Capable and Bulletproof. Pictures/Details