Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Movit Brakes on GT3 Update. Monumentally Capable and Bulletproof. Pictures/Details

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 AM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

taking the plunge, installing Movit's Ceramic 380mm F/R kit on the RT12.

Tom has been uber patient answering all my questions, and am hoping that once the kit arrives, the install will go w/o a hitch.

A shoutout to Pete too for that added info. Though its your fault bro for getting me on this road... the detail in this thread were what got me interested in Movits again after many years (first took notice of them back around 2003 when some of the hardcore Mitsubishi Evo Nurburgring runners swore by Movit's).

now for the long wait as the kit is produced and then shipped over.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hesperus

Tom has been uber patient answering all my questions, and am hoping that once the kit arrives, the install will go w/o a hitch.

A shoutout to Pete too for that added info. Though its your fault bro for getting me on this road... the detail in this thread were what got me interested in Movits again after many years (first took notice of them back around 2003 when some of the hardcore Mitsubishi Evo Nurburgring runners swore by Movit's).

It is an amazing braking solution, congrats!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 PM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hesperus

shouldn't be too long
Old 08-12-2012, 09:11 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Does Movit actually manufacture their products?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 AM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Does Movit actually manufacture their products?
Yes they engineer and manufacture the majority of their own products.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 AM
GuyR
Racer

Originally Posted by TF-Ent
Yes they engineer and manufacture the majority of their own products.
They may do now, but they started by re-selling Porsche/Brembo products re-branded as Movit.

Their Ceramic discs are not made by them, but by Surface Transforms a UK company. They also use Alcon products.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Movit's Billet design caliper is exclusive to them. Designed in-house using CADCAM, they have some smart machine tools capable of machining the calipers in a continuous process. The top-end metal rotors are similarly designed in-house and manufactured by a large German company on the Bodensee. Surface Transforms 'grows' the Ceramic rotors. Pads are supplied to Movit specifications.
It's been over a decade since Movit used calipers sourced from Brembo via Porsche. With their original Porche branding they were ideal for certain Audis for example.

R+C
Old 08-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

The more I read this thread the more I am convinced steel rotors are appropriate as a replacement for PCCB, and I like my PCCBs. The cost benefit just doesn't add up in my opinion. A hundred DE days equates to 200 hours, or 5 engine/3 trans rebuilds if you want to keep the big bits in tip top shape- in other words I personally have other things to worry about than just brake rotors/brake kit life outs.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

for anybody who doubts the benefits of Carbon ceramics, may I suggest that they get hold of a reliable pilot and have them drive a metal equipped and then a cc equipped vehicle at varying speeds over different surfaces, whilst you position your cheek and ear against the footwell and listen and feel the difference in noise, rebound and thumping.
Apart from anything else, arriving at the pits whilst in an inverted position does a great deal for one's hardcore reputation.
Anybody choosing the cc option masy also like to consider Ti springs and revalved/replacement shocks (think Öhlins) as the characteristics of Ti are different from Fe. And then agasin, lightweight rims and uprights.....

R+C
Old 08-13-2012, 12:57 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

No question I WANT thse but don't fit 18" and just too much $$ for my low rent budget.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No question I WANT thse but don't fit 18" and just too much $$ for my low rent budget.
There are CER replacement OE sized rotors available. They will fit under your 18" wheel.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Does Savyboy have upsized? I only have 2mm clearance with OEM calipers with BBS 3 piece. It is also a BBS problem, both between the top of the cliper to the drum and on the outsde caliper / inside BBS. they have less clearance then any 18" I have seen.

Hard to see:
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2012, 01:19 PM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

Does Savy have upsized? I only have 2mm clearance with OEM calipers with BBS 3 piece. It is also a BBS problem, both between the top of the cliper to the drum and on the outsde caliper /Inside BBS. they have less clearance then any 18" I have seen.
Savy has used all 3 options that are available for the 996/997 GT3

OE sized 380/350mm w/factory calipers
Upsized 396/362mm w/factory calipers and laser cut spacers
Full 396/380mm kit with MovIt Billet calipers
Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks, to avoid beveling you need also to use your calipers, regardless of size right?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:26 PM
TF-Ent
Intermediate

Thanks, to avoid beveling you need also to use your calipers, regardless of size right?
The pad beveling issue with the Porsche factory calipers will be a little bit better when using the OE sized CER rotors because they run cooler. The Upsized CER rotors help this even more since they are larger the OE and run cooler then the OE sized CER or PCCB rotor. Lastly there is no beveling issue with the full MovIt kit using the billet calipers.

Quick Reply: Movit Brakes on GT3 Update. Monumentally Capable and Bulletproof. Pictures/Details