Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Movit Brakes on GT3 Update. Monumentally Capable and Bulletproof. Pictures/Details

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Arrows for the win!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
Just search for Mov'It (also try MovIt) or Surface Transforms on this board.

Do you think the people that can afford to purchase these Mov'It products are dumb or ill informed? It's OK to be cynical, but it's better to be right - no?

I did my homework and have had Mov'It ceramic rotors on my Carrera GT for two track events before mounting the full rotor/caliper/pad kit on my RS 4.0.

BTW I'm a 25+ year member of SAE and I play the role of an engineer at work

P.S. I queried a Porsche department head about failure mechanisms of PCCB rotors while I was visiting Weissach before I made my decision.
I know who you are. I own at least 3 or 4 of your products Great stuff. Wouldn't own anything else.

I didn't say anyone was unintelligent or ill informed. I'm not sure how being cynical and right go together in response to my question. But you wouldn't be the first person to buy something just because you could, regardless of the actual real world performance. I don't think having a bank account which allows such a purchase makes someone more qualified as to whether or not that it's a good purchase. With that being said, for curiosity sake, it would be nice to hear from someone that does 25 plus days a year.

If I really wanted to show off the product, I'd give a set to Izzone or Trakcar and let them have at it for a season.

Which driving schools are using these? I've been to a couple different ones. Never seen anything other than OEM.
I'll give u a test run at Sebring

Install myself. And return

For de I can't believe the secrect to the sauce
Old 08-05-2012, 11:37 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
I queried a Porsche department head about failure mechanisms of PCCB rotors while I was visiting Weissach before I made my decision.
I tip my hat to you mate. That's some serious R&D you're doing on behalf of the RL community! With luck, MovIt's technology will be at 1/2 price in 5 years and maybe then I can one rotor on my 991 RS. (not sure which corner tho :ROFLMAO

Would you mind sharing with us your findings on the PCCB from Weissach? Few on this forum have been able to speak to the usability of rotors once delamination starts. Datapoints have been anecdotal at best, and it'll be great to have an educated viewpoint at last... TIA!!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody that posts on here?
I don't think having a bank account which allows such a purchase makes someone more qualified as to whether or not that it's a good purchase. With that being said, for curiosity sake, it would be nice to hear from someone that does 25 plus days a year.

Heartening to know 18 months of R&D, posts, and pictures can result in this comment. Wow...
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts

The brief way to describe the failure mechanism:

The PCCB rotors are press-formed from a "dough" that contains a "mulch" of semi-random length fibers and then they are high-temperature conditioned to produce a hard solid. Many of these fibers terminate in random orientations at the friction surface of the rotor. If any individual fiber ending at the surface is over-heated enough, it sort of ignites and the fiber end "burns up" and leaves a "worm hole" back into the material, penetrating as far as it is hot enough to continue to burn. It's like a ceramic-tree wood pecker is pecking tiny holes in the friction surface.

If a number of these "worm holes" happen to form closely together, the local surface loses considerable strength from the tunneling of voids in the area. Once this phenomenon advances enough, the rotor face can give up pits or flakes of surface material and things deteriorate very rapidly thereafter.

The guy who ought to know said that while PCCB rotors would generally last the life of a street driven car, if one were to track the same car, PCCB rotors become "wear parts".

The Mov'It ceramic rotors don't have this sort of failure mechanism because they are constructed out of layers of "woven mat" fibres before they are fired and none of the fiber ends can engage the friction surface. Their fiber ends terminate at the edge of the rotor, not the face. No fiber ends on the face, no "worm holes" burn into the face.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

^ Good stuff.

I'll add that the formulation of the rotor appears to differ between vehicle makes. Even though Ferrari and Porsche both source rotors from Brembo SGL, the "chopped fibers" have always been larger and more visible in Ferrari CCMs. Your burnt fiber explanation makes a lot of sense looking at new vs. used Ferrari rotors:

New - Even surface, but difference in shading shows large chunks of fiber beneath the surface:
Name:  ccm-rear-2.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  218.8 KB

Used - Pitting from "burnt out" fibers, pits resemble the shape of what used to be the same fiber chunks...
Name:  5939733452_4895db57ab_z.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  202.7 KB

Which inconveniently supports the OP's longtime view: that the Brembo/SGL ceramic implementation is ill-suited for high-temperature applications.

Reading into Brembo SGL literature there are evidently structural differences between Porsche's carbo-ceramics ("CCB") and Ferrari's ceramic-composites ("CCM"). But in the end they're close relatives of one another, being chopped fibers of something suspended in some other ceramic material. The fibers are prone to burning out anyhow. Only way to avoid it is a monolithic, solid-block design.

I guess all this boils down to a cost/performance tradeoff... the majority of the ceramic buyers out there aren't like us and will never see their rotors pushed to the point of fiber burn. Hence it makes sense for Porsche and Ferrari to peddle the more affordably-priced (albeit clearly inferior) product to the masses...

Last edited by CRex; 08-06-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:03 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy

Heartening to know 18 months of R&D, posts, and pictures can result in this comment. Wow...
How many track days do you have on your setup now?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

I'm very interested in these school cars that have them.

We know what we pay for rotors and if these setups have lasted enough days to offset the per day cost, you are back to even, not calculating the convenience of not changing rotors.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:26 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Well, I know it's not porsche or skip barber.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Relevant threads:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...placement.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...e-frick-6.html Start at post #86 "In addition here are photos of a set of OE sized CER's after 15 track days or 30-35 hours installed on both a GT2 and GT3 RS. Wear is not-measurable using digital calipers. The surface remains smooth to the fingertip. Original hone and grain marks are visible."

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-insanity.html

Here is the bottom line- I've used two different sizes of the MovIt rotor on a GT3RS and yet another on a Boxster Spyder. I've measured the rotors with a digital caliper after many hours of hard track use. Let's be conservative and call it 15 days/30 hours on a set of 380mm/362mm rotors. There was no measurable wear. How else can I word that so that it could be any more clear?

A reader now or ten years from now has the option to use "Search" and discover the nature of my contributions to this forum and from there form an opinion as to the reliability of my comments.

The capability of these rotors are no secret to a person who chooses to invest the time to research them. I've no dog in the fight nor any financial connection with MovIt or any of their distributors. Just a passionate enthusiast with a technical background who does their own work on their own car and supports innovative suppliers that offer top of the line solutions
Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Savyboy, what's your normal wear rate for steel or PCCB rotors? That may give others a better understanding of how durable the Movit rotors are. For example, I think Trakcar mentioned he changes iron rotors every 12 track days.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:29 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by CRex
I guess all this boils down to a cost/performance tradeoff... the majority of the ceramic buyers out there aren't like us and will never see their rotors pushed to the point of fiber burn. Hence it makes sense for Porsche and Ferrari to peddle the more affordably-priced (albeit clearly inferior) product to the masses...
DeputyDog95 is a perfect example of why they have to do that. He's perfectly happy with his brakes and that's great.

Some of us want a more robust solution, are willing to do our homework and choose to support the suppliers that offer one.

Neither car owner is better or worse than the other, they just have different situations.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:55 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Savyboy, what's your normal wear rate for steel or PCCB rotors? That may give others a better understanding of how durable the Movit rotors are. For example, I think Trakcar mentioned he changes iron rotors every 12 track days.
Nick, I have zero experience with irons on track, so Trakcar is a great reference for those. Folks will claim all sorts of ways to measure PCCB wear but I use surface roughness as my eyeball measurement. As I recall, Porsche also uses this measure in the workshop manual.

If you wanted to be perfectly objective and determine wear rates over time you would use a Portable Surface Roughness Tester/Profilometer in combination with a Coating Thickness Gauge. On both Boxster and GT3 OE PCCB (different size rotors) I wore them down to what I consider 30% remaining over approx 15 track days each. While I allow for a warm up and cool down, I am otherwise very aggressive using brakes and I trailbrake.

So let's say I get 20 track days out of a set of PCCB and they are now eating my pads in one track day because they are so rough. Even if I buy replacement OE PCCB at deep discount from Suncoast, with shipping I am in for $18,000+. If I am planning to do 100+ track days, then I save $40k on rotors alone even if I buy the full MovIt kit with calipers and rotors.

Considered in a vacuum of any other variables and factors:
$18,000*4=$72,000
$32,000*= $32,000 MovIt full kit
Saving $40,000

Obviously the math does not work the same for steels. And some people don't care about rotating mass and unsprung weight, but I do (please can we not rehash that discussion?)

If you are a frequent tracker and a gearhead the value proposition is there, and it is strong, for anyone that takes the time and makes the effort to calculate it.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:37 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

DeputyDog95 is a perfect example of why they have to do that. He's perfectly happy with his brakes and that's great.

Some of us want a more robust solution, are willing to do our homework and choose to support the suppliers that offer one.

Neither car owner is better or worse than the other, they just have different situations.
Agreed.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Nick, I have zero experience with irons on track, so Trakcar is a great reference for those. Folks will claim all sorts of ways to measure PCCB wear but I use surface roughness as my eyeball measurement. As I recall, Porsche also uses this measure in the workshop manual.

If you wanted to be perfectly objective and determine wear rates over time you would use a Portable Surface Roughness Tester/Profilometer in combination with a Coating Thickness Gauge. On both Boxster and GT3 OE PCCB (different size rotors) I wore them down to what I consider 30% remaining over approx 15 track days each. While I allow for a warm up and cool down, I am otherwise very aggressive using brakes and I trailbrake.

So let's say I get 20 track days out of a set of PCCB and they are now eating my pads in one track day because they are so rough. Even if I buy replacement OE PCCB at deep discount from Suncoast, with shipping I am in for $18,000+. If I am planning to do 100+ track days, then I save $40k on rotors alone even if I buy the full MovIt kit with calipers and rotors.

Considered in a vacuum of any other variables and factors:
$18,000*4=$72,000
$32,000*= $32,000 MovIt full kit
Saving $40,000

Obviously the math does not work the same for steels. And some people don't care about rotating mass and unsprung weight, but I do (please can we not rehash that discussion?)

If you are a frequent tracker and a gearhead the value proposition is there, and it is strong, for anyone that takes the time and makes the effort to calculate it.
20 days on front iron rotor, pfc
40 on rear oem iron rotor, less for turbo iron rotor

Movie is nice, just not for me

Quick Reply: Movit Brakes on GT3 Update. Monumentally Capable and Bulletproof. Pictures/Details