Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Movit Brakes on GT3 Update. Monumentally Capable and Bulletproof. Pictures/Details

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Could you just put pfc steel rotors and 08's on there instead?
Yes, and Porsche caliper is fine too
Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The CUP car guys run Porsche brakes and they seem to be pretty fast ....
Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911GT3
I think only if they have too, not saying its not good enough

And a barely taper a pad, and by the time they are tapered most would throw them in the trash anyways

Most cars at alms races use the high end brembo caliper
Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izzone
Me persoanly, I have driven a couple of PCCB cars on the track (Nick Wongs most recently)....I hate the feel. It is like a lightswitch opposed to a dimmer switch of PFC08. I try to drag the brake into a corner lightly and the nose stays planted

Savy.....maybe your set-up is different for feel......but the Porsche factory stuff sucks. Maybe it is good for some cars and cafe guy that doesnt like brake dust
Randy I agree with you. OE PCCB w/P40 pads seem to me to have a strong bite, almost grabby and I too had a challenge trailbraking with them. Hard to modulate.

MovIts much easier to modulate and easeeee out of the brakes.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:09 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Yes, and Porsche caliper is fine too
Until you go to Road America..

Originally Posted by savyboy
Randy I agree with you. OE PCCB w/P40 pads seem to me to have a strong bite, almost grabby and I too had a challenge trailbraking with them. Hard to modulate.

MovIts much easier to modulate and easeeee out of the brakes.
I'd love to get the feel for them sometimes
Old 07-16-2012, 11:20 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 911GT3
Depends on which racing sanctioning body these Cup cars are running in...but...They have to run certain brake pkgs due to rules...same as tire sizes, all due to rules.

What Savy is getting at with this Motiv brake pkg is not neccesarily you will be faster but that the Motiv brakes will far out last any other brakes on the market and that they feel much better than the stock Porsche PCCB's.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'd love to get the feel for them sometimes
If you can make it over here for the Oct 26-28 weekend, I will put you in the drivers seat for a few laps Would be incredibly awesome to get some representatives of the East Coast Crew here for the event

Originally Posted by mdrums
What Savy is getting at with this Motiv brake pkg is not necessarily you will be faster but that the Motiv brakes will far out last any other brakes on the market and that they feel much better than the stock Porsche PCCB's.
You got it Mike! I have always hated having to flip pads every two track days and then replacing them at 4-5. And being at an event and worrying or even leaving early because I was almost out of pads. Or watching those wonderfully light but fragile PCCB rotor$ commit $uicide as each track day pa$$e$

There are plenty of threads about the shortcomings of the OE brakes and I won't waste pixels rehashing it here. If a person wants to sit down and review ongoing consumable costs, hassle factor and down time during brake servicing, better brake feel and modulation, residual value, for some folks this solution is compelling.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:49 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Impressive. I'd just start braking a bit earlier though as I'm never going to be Schumacher anyway ;-)
Old 07-16-2012, 04:47 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Me persoanly, I have driven a couple of PCCB cars on the track (Nick Wongs most recently)....I hate the feel. It is like a lightswitch opposed to a dimmer switch of PFC08. I try to drag the brake into a corner lightly and the nose stays planted

Savy.....maybe your set-up is different for feel......but the Porsche factory stuff sucks. Maybe it is good for some cars and cafe guy that doesnt like brake dust
You think that the feel of the PCCB sucks? You've prolly never driven a car from another manufacturer with ceramics..
Especially their mid 2000 editions..
We can accuse Porsche for a lot of things, PCCB price and longevity included but feel? Nope.

Pete glad for you buddy that these exceeded your expectations!
I know from first hand that it was a long quest and a ballsy move. All pioneers have those issues..
Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Pete glad for you buddy that these exceeded your expectations! I know from first hand that it was a long quest and a ballsy move. All pioneers have those issues..
Whew! That is a fact brother! One hell of a challenging path The final product is however everything I had hoped and then some.

Now I can just sit back and do 30 track events and not need to do any maintenance to the brakes That is my payback...
Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks Pete for this review! Something I would have never tried, but I find the right track car I want to keep forever, I would certainly look into these.

Izzone, not sure if driving a few laps around is a fair assessment of PCCB feel. I had them on my 7.1 RS and really didn't like them at first because I felt they were quite binary (either completely on or off and tough to modulate) and very different from OEM Porsche steel brakes. However, when I tracked them, I got used to them and loved them.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
does anybody buy parts locally anymore?

get them from the u.s.

ps: the ur quattros were a funky car!
Well I'm with you there, very rarely do I buy anything except groceries in Oz and if I had the chance to import them i would!!

ur's funky, now that's a new one I haven't heard them called but I know what you mean. Had lots, from one of the earliest cars ever imported to the uk through MB's to 20v, standard to a massively modified 800bhp monster. Also worked on A1's, A2's and a pikes peak replica briefly (The late Tom Hamonds hill climb car).

Cheers
Jay
Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

If you can make it over here for the Oct 26-28 weekend, I will put you in the drivers seat for a few laps
What airport do I fly into?

Whew! That is a fact brother! One hell of a challenging path The final product is however everything I had hoped and then some.

Now I can just sit back and do 30 track events and not need to do any maintenance to the brakes That is my payback...
I'm jealous. Do I still have to change the oil?

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Thanks Pete for this review! Something I would have never tried, but I find the right track car I want to keep forever, I would certainly look into these.

Izzone, not sure if driving a few laps around is a fair assessment of PCCB feel. I had them on my 7.1 RS and really didn't like them at first because I felt they were quite binary (either completely on or off and tough to modulate) and very different from OEM Porsche steel brakes. However, when I tracked them, I got used to them and loved them.
+1 for being test pilot and all the reporting.
"not sure if driving a few laps around is a fair assessment of PCCB feel."
Right. Exactly. I need at least several hundred laps in Pete's car to properly evaluate these brakes
Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 AM
savyboy
Drifting

What airport do I fly into?
Reno. Smallish but nice terminal. You don't have to walk a million miles to get around it. 40 minute drive from there to the track. All highway to/from and we don't have traffic jams here

I'm jealous. Do I still have to change the oil?
Lol, I wish not. Fluids, engine/tranny/brake, as always still should be changed after every 4 track days if you want to be conservative. I know you were joking with me here

But how great would it be to not have to muck-about with pads and rotors for a whole "season" (or two?).

+1 for being test pilot and all the reporting.
"not sure if driving a few laps around is a fair assessment of PCCB feel."
Right. Exactly. I need at least several hundred laps in Pete's car to properly evaluate these brakes
Hmmm
Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
You think that the feel of the PCCB sucks? You've prolly never driven a car from another manufacturer with ceramics..
Especially their mid 2000 editions..
We can accuse Porsche for a lot of things, PCCB price and longevity included but feel? Nope.
Yes I think the feel sucks, but I am comparing to PFC steel set up

Quick Reply: Movit Brakes on GT3 Update. Monumentally Capable and Bulletproof. Pictures/Details