Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Group Buy* for cup shifter cable

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Group Buy* for cup shifter cable

Hi guys, i got in touch with derek from trg to see if could do a group buy on cup shifter cables. I know a lot of people were interrested into buying them.
If you are interrested, please write down your name to see how much people we get.

these are the information

List price on these is $475. group buy pricing would be as follows.

1-5 buyers: -5%

6-10 buyers: -10%

10 plus buyers: -13%
Old 07-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

1- Paseb(sebastien juneau)
2-
3-
etc...
Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been thinking of this 'saftey' upgrade - for those better in the know, does the 997 'need' to do the complete 996 cupcar shifter to get the full benefit or is it the cable and connecting pieces that gets you 95% the way there?

I'm assuming the answers are in here

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...o-the-fix.html
Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm interested.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 294 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
I've been thinking of this 'saftey' upgrade - for those better in the know, does the 997 'need' to do the complete 996 cupcar shifter to get the full benefit or is it the cable and connecting pieces that gets you 95% the way there?

I'm assuming the answers are in here

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...o-the-fix.html
Paul,

I have this mod, not worth it for 997

try my car at Morport next weekend
Old 07-06-2012, 10:23 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy, you had Ray Charles installing yours ... doesn't count ;0
Old 07-06-2012, 10:45 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it, it is a must have IMO
Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Any/all GT3's benefit from CUP cables, huge difference. As long as they weren't installed by Ray Charles!!!!. Also most guys install them, when it's too late and gearbox damage is allready been done. And no you dont need to do the full CUP install to get the benefit. 7.2 shifters work like a dream when set up properly. This mod will/can prevent costly overrevs and trans damage. B
Old 07-07-2012, 02:01 AM
martinkm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm definitely interested; just as mikymu described, I had numerous instances of being unable to find third on the straight at Laguna in my 997.2 GT3 last weekend. Once when I pushed it harder than normal I ended up in first and came _this_ close to a money shift!

I have 3 questions for the guys who have this mod. I've read and retread all the threads I can find on this and it seemed there was some concensus that this only happens when you rush the shift. I am still very new to the track experience and was wondering if this problem will go away when I get more comfortable and slow down a little.

If it turns out the cup cables are a good mod, I have read that they introduce a noticeable 'whining gear sound'. While DE's are turning into an expensive new addiction, I still DD my car and don't want to make longer trips uncomfortable. Can anyone elaborate on the degree of noise they introduce?

Last, has anyone had problems getting warranty work done because of this mod? I've already had Stevens Creek refuse to address some mirror and door rattles because of my shark weeks bypass.

Many thanks to all the folks who post regularly here - I've learned a lot lurking over the last year.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:01 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them in my 997.1 RS with an aftermarket shifter and all works great - would do it again

Stock cables with plastic ends are a potential track day ended when/if the plastic ends fail

I have 2 sets of stock lightly used shifter cables if anyone is interested
Old 07-07-2012, 01:32 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by martinkm
I'm definitely interested; just as mikymu described, I had numerous instances of being unable to find third on the straight at Laguna in my 997.2 GT3 last weekend. Once when I pushed it harder than normal I ended up in first and came _this_ close to a money shift!

I have 3 questions for the guys who have this mod. I've read and retread all the threads I can find on this and it seemed there was some concensus that this only happens when you rush the shift. I am still very new to the track experience and was wondering if this problem will go away when I get more comfortable and slow down a little.

If it turns out the cup cables are a good mod, I have read that they introduce a noticeable 'whining gear sound'. While DE's are turning into an expensive new addiction, I still DD my car and don't want to make longer trips uncomfortable. Can anyone elaborate on the degree of noise they introduce?

Last, has anyone had problems getting warranty work done because of this mod? I've already had Stevens Creek refuse to address some mirror and door rattles because of my shark weeks bypass.

Many thanks to all the folks who post regularly here - I've learned a lot lurking over the last year.
Don't take the car to SC for service. Try Carlsen instead.

Yes, the car gets louder inside. It's a subjective thing, so if you think you can handle even more noise, then mod away. However, if you think you are at your personal limit, then prepare to wear ear plugs everywhere. Mjones taught me that. It keeps my sanity on the long drive to Buttonwillow or Thunderhill. Bottom line is that the GT cars do not make good date cars.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:23 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never had problems going from 2 to 3. The thing to have in mind is that you should let the gearstick self-center itself when coming out of 2 and then push it straight on into 3. Manually moving the stick from 2 to the center to 3 can lead to hitting the "bump" between 2 gates.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,875 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Don't take the car to SC for service. Try Carlsen instead.

Yes, the car gets louder inside. It's a subjective thing, so if you think you can handle even more noise, then mod away. However, if you think you are at your personal limit, then prepare to wear ear plugs everywhere. Mjones taught me that. It keeps my sanity on the long drive to Buttonwillow or Thunderhill. Bottom line is that the GT cars do not make good date cars.
did you say carlsen? you know how i feel about that. violet can no longer visit with baby. you set foot in carlsen, you are history in my book.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:27 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I am in for one if we can get the 10% or more off.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:10 AM
savyboy
Drifting

If it turns out the cup cables are a good mod, I have read that they introduce a noticeable 'whining gear sound'.
1. Slow down your shifting. Guide the shifter. Never force a shift unless you want to risk breaking $omething.
2. Cup cables help give a rifle bolt feel to the shift action.
3. 2-3 shift seems to be most problematic when the car has lateral G's acting on it (in a turn).
4. Cup cables add another instrument to the musical symphony. If you don't like those sounds, you should have bought a different car to begin with

For the recreational tracker, shift speed is far less important than careful shifts and overall car control skills. If you haven't already done so, apply that Cup cable money to a PSDS class?

Quick Reply: Group Buy* for cup shifter cable