Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Fast 4.0 at Laguna Seca this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012 | 07:06 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gvtesse
I am in. I'll need to figure out how to transport the car from socal.
The scenic route would be 395N to 168 ->US 95N. 168 is one of the most amazing roads that no one knows about and perfect if you are driving and challenging if you are trailering. Alternatively you could run 395 all the way up to US50 and cut across to the east.

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Sign out for a couple of days and look what you miss! This is an amazing idea and I'd love to participate. If you need any help with admin stuff Pete, let me know. Would love to help make this happen.

Originally Posted by BRracing
Pete....since this is supposed to be a track that not many have experience at to level the playing field, care to share your amount of experience there?
Also, want to let everyone know of the interesting bumps (or should we call them sink holes) in turn 20 on the large track?

Bruce
BRracing
(PS...we will be happy to bring a group, and bring our 997.2 GT3 to play)
(Street legal also meaning currently registered and licenseed for the street)
(we would vote for R6 tires though for all....just to stir the pot)
Bruce- it would awesome to have you guys out there again. As you know from riding with me, I basically know where the turns are In all seriousness, I would be thrilled to share my knowledge of the track with a track walk, ride-alongs, lead-follow and answer any questions throughout the event.

We would not want to run the T20 area, way way too bumpy there. The other configs are no problem.

Originally Posted by wanna911
If you can get the sound limit squashed once again, and put together a good 3Day TT/Racing/DE event, consider me in. Laguna does have more appeal to me than Fernley. More signature turns and really fast sweeping corners. I'd still go to Reno, but an unlmiited Laguna is worth the extra mile IMO.
At this point I am thinking I am going to put something together regardless as folks don't often get the chance to run RFR. It is worth mentioning that it is more common than not for at least one car at a Laguna event to go home totaled on a trailer. It can be quite unforgiving to driver errors and equipment failures. Aside from that and the sound issues, accommodations and track rental are not cheap.

No dog in the fight to me other than everybody having a good time.

PS- just looked at the LS calendar and it is jam packed for the rest of this year, so if someone wants to accept the challenge of organizing and running that you have plenty of time to prepare for an event in 2013.

Last edited by savyboy; 07-05-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2012 | 07:51 PM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys should consider Sears also, sound much less of an issue than LS. Don't know anyone that has sound problems at SP.

Gary
Old 07-05-2012 | 09:08 PM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tdf360
You guys should consider Sears also, sound much less of an issue than LS. Don't know anyone that has sound problems at SP.

Gary
+1 for Sear's!
Old 07-05-2012 | 09:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,734 Likes on 893 Posts

+2 for Sears
Old 07-05-2012 | 09:49 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

+3 for Sears! But I'm game for RFR, T-Hill and Laguna (if sound limit is lifted).
I'm still puzzled why Pete's 4.0 wouldn't pass sound at T-Hill. They supposedly have 103db, same as Sears (maybe it's 105db there, I forget). So if Pete doesn't pass sound at T-Hill, he wouldn't pass at Sears either, right? But then again, I think T-Hill's equipment is messed up, "StuJelly" busted it the other day apparently clocking a 107db or s.th. like that in his RS... strange. The Bay Area (Sears and Laguna) would be a great venue for out-of-state visitors with many sites to visit on an extended vacation (with the wives..;-). T-Hill is in the middle of nowhere and Nevada (RFR) is great if gambling (and a few other things :-) are you thing. Obviously RFR is the safest, Sears the most challenging but with a lot of walls and Laguna has gravel and sand traps which require a tow to get out of, which slows down everything (and again this sound thing...).
Weatherwise, I think even early November is dicey here in NorCal, probably okay in RFR, April/May would be much better. All in all, I just want to meet this whole "Florida Crew" that's on RL some day and like Peter ("trackcar) said they're busy in November at Sebring. Maybe next April/May would attract them more? Now if this is going to be more of a West Coast thing (including West Canada) then RFR is probably THE place.
Horst.
Old 07-05-2012 | 10:00 PM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

I think there are two concurrent ideas going on here:

a) Asynchronous videoed best lap:
My initial idea was the idea that asynchronous competition can occur for "Fastest lap" on an ongoing basis. For example Porsche, Nissan, Dodge, Ferrari, Chevrolet don't schedule a meet to determine the fastest car at the 'ring; they show up whenever suits them, then video it, time it etc, then publish the results. I like this model, just as Motortrend uses Laguna for their version of Top Gear Hot Laps, that as a community we could have official lap records that transcend clubs and specific dates and allow everyone to compete no matter when they are there. If you're in a 430 Challenge you'll need to go on an unlimited weekend, but if you have a Cayman S, you could go on a 92dB day etc. It's a format suited to global viewing sharing and instigation of a desire to compete. Perhaps eventually folks will come from Europe or Asia to give it a try to beat America's best??

b)Time Trial - "Street Porsche Invitational"
We agree to a venue and date, it obviously is in the style of the GTGP but perhaps with the rules more like NASA TT?
Perhaps entrants qualify to attend this event by publishing their best reference lap before hand and reaching the top 10 or 20 times for that car? is that unreasonable?

Originally Posted by James-GMG
I would think Laguna would be the best place for this type of event as it's such a famous circuit and the lap times don't alter based on the track.
I would happily compete at almost any top tier circuit and will keep an open mind. Especially since L.S. is very very expensive for unlimited days. But I really like the heritage and awareness of L.S.; also Laguna Seca in the age of Grand Turismo is nearly a household name around the world. If held elsewhere, when considering distance I'd pick Sear's over RFR as I'd be concerned that SoCal guys won't make the journey. But perhaps the location is not the biggest concern. Rules...
Spec tyre? any tyre?
I think NJ-GT was very keen on allowing slicks. Personally, I think for street car purposes their grip level really starts to overwhelm street car suspensions. I haven't experienced any of the safety concerns of the DOT compounds. They are definitely up to the job. The fastest potential lap will always be in the first 3 laps so overheating is not really a concern.
I really like the idea of stock cars competing, but it sounds like everyone is concerned that there aren't enough non-modded cars out there.
Thoughts?

......it's pretty quick for sure......I'm in Jesse.
Excellent!

Btw, nice driving Jesse.....you keep getting faster!
And it's time you tell Gary in his Viper to switch over to the Porsche......the time is now..... :-)
Garry is ready. He says he's coming to the Porsche camp soon (perhaps end of year). I think he misses being able to stop the car! (P-car braking is magnificent).
Old 07-05-2012 | 10:04 PM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Horstair
+3 for Sears! But I'm game for RFR, T-Hill and Laguna (if sound limit is lifted).
I'm still puzzled why Pete's 4.0 wouldn't pass sound at T-Hill. They supposedly have 103db, same as Sears (maybe it's 105db there, I forget). So if Pete doesn't pass sound at T-Hill, he wouldn't pass at Sears either, right? But then again, I think T-Hill's equipment is messed up, "StuJelly" busted it the other day apparently clocking a 107db or s.th. like that in his RS... strange.
Pete has a third party exhaust that is really loud. Stock GT3/RS pass easily at T-Hill and Sear's Point. GT3s with stock exhausts and turn-ups pass at Laguna also on 92dB days.

Jesse.
Old 07-05-2012 | 10:14 PM
Horstair
Racer

I agree with you on LS about the "heritage" etc. BUT as far as sound goes (if limited to 92db), it really depends who puts on the event. I saw an Aventador get nailed at the straight a little while ago by the "roving" sound station... So LS is probably a top choice if we can get the county to waive the sound limit for our 3-day event. (Start working with those Monterey Public Officials...:-):-). Horst.
Old 07-05-2012 | 10:20 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Horstair
I agree with you on LS about the "heritage" etc. BUT as far as sound goes (if limited to 92db), it really depends who puts on the event. I saw an Aventador get nailed at the straight a little while ago by the "roving" sound station... So LS is probably a top choice if we can get the county to waive the sound limit for our 3-day event. (Start working with those Monterey Public Officials...:-):-). Horst.
It is not a matter of asking to have the sound limit waived, if it were so simple everyone would have it waived. It is amatter of paying for it. $25,000 is what I recall to be the current (butt raping) price? Might be off by few thousand, feel free to correct me.

Think about that...

The public officials are beholden to the local homeowners, they could give a crap about recreational trackers.
Old 07-05-2012 | 10:20 PM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
I have fully, totally, and completely hijacked The Stiglets thread (for which I feel terrible), will start a new thread
Pete - Not to worry. The whole point of me sharing this idea is to try to encourage some enthusiasm, red-blooded competition, and some driver to driver battling. Life's too short, this isn't a rehearsal. Let's get it on!!!

So I'm glad that you're making plans trying to organize this. It has to be a TON of work.

It sounds from the group like an unlimited run-what-you've brung class is desirable, as is a street class. So what happens if someone shows up in a Cup or pseudo Cup. Is that ok? Who do they compete against?
I think that a spec class also sounds good, or that at least one class that specifies a tyre compound. It just helps to level the playing field which makes the results more meaningful. e.g. when I beat Cort Wagner in the 800HP F430 Scuderia at GTGP he had more or less street tyres (I don't remember which Pirelli model) and I had Hoosier R6 tyres, which made the victory meaningless & irrelevant as he was massively handicapped by the compound.

I'm not clear why having a spec tyre for all classes would be bad? Thoughts?
Old 07-05-2012 | 10:21 PM
TheStiglet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
It is not a matter of asking to have the sound limit waived, if it were so simple everyone would have it waived. It is amatter of paying for it. $25,000 is what I recall to be the current (butt raping) price? Might be off by few thousand, feel free to correct me.

Think about that...
You're correct it...or is it $25K extra per day!?
Old 07-05-2012 | 10:29 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think since LS is so expensive and we have Pete to organize with connections to track management at Fernley, it should be the first choice. Tracks like Laguna are not just call up and drive for a few grand. That one may have to wait for year 2 or 3 regardless of our preferences (unless GMG can put it together).

Me personally I would be willing to make a mancation out of it and do both. But I'm down for Sears point as well, but these events always fail due to indecision, so let's make one and move forward.

Fernley seems to be the best route right now. This is my vote.

1) Fernley
2) Sears Point
3) LS
Old 07-05-2012 | 10:33 PM
Horstair
Racer

[QUOTE=savyboy;9664269] $25,000 is what I recall to be the current (butt raping) price? Might be off by few thousand, feel free to correct me.

Holy Sh...t, didn't know this... Let's go somewhere else... Like "mooty" said in an earlier post. LS is "boring".:-)
Old 07-05-2012 | 10:36 PM
Horstair
Racer

1) Fernley
2) Sears Point
3) LS[/QUOTE]

Agreed! That way I can drive up that bad-*** 168.
Old 07-05-2012 | 10:45 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmenczer
Pete - Not to worry. The whole point of me sharing this idea is to try to encourage some enthusiasm, red-blooded competition, and some driver to driver battling. Life's too short, this isn't a rehearsal. Let's get it on!!!

So I'm glad that you're making plans trying to organize this. It has to be a TON of work.

It sounds from the group like an unlimited run-what-you've brung class is desirable, as is a street class. So what happens if someone shows up in a Cup or pseudo Cup. Is that ok? Who do they compete against?
I think that a spec class also sounds good, or that at least one class that specifies a tyre compound. It just helps to level the playing field which makes the results more meaningful. e.g. when I beat Cort Wagner in the 800HP F430 Scuderia at GTGP he had more or less street tyres (I don't remember which Pirelli model) and I had Hoosier R6 tyres, which made the victory meaningless & irrelevant as he was massively handicapped by the compound.

I'm not clear why having a spec tyre for all classes would be bad? Thoughts?
Awesome!

Show up in a Cup and run "unlimited". I recommend DE/TT Street legal/TT Unlimited run groups. The key is voluntary full disclosure of mods on the time sheets so that allows you to run what you brung and compensation of lap times (unofficially).

It can be fun, competitive and educational if the event is cooperative rather than combative and evasive. You know? You can never equalize the equipment unless somone provides spec, sealed, cars.

We only want to divide the groups up based on experience and speed. This makes for more fun for the slow guys and the fast guys can run free and everybody is happy. I would want drivers of all skill levels to feel comfortable and accomodated.

Originally Posted by jmenczer
You're correct it...or is it $25K extra per day!?
Might be, crazy blackmail money either way.

Originally Posted by wanna911
I think since LS is so expensive and we have Pete to organize with connections to track management at Fernley, it should be the first choice. Tracks like Laguna are not just call up and drive for a few grand. That one may have to wait for year 2 or 3 regardless of our preferences (unless GMG can put it together).

Me personally I would be willing to make a mancation out of it and do both. But I'm down for Sears point as well, but these events always fail due to indecision, so let's make one and move forward.

I am going to set up Fernley regardless because there are enough folks locally where I can make it work if necessary. And you are right, indecision and mental masturbation accomplish nothing. Folks that know me know I take the bull by the horns

Still need to get with the track owner tomorrow but my meeting today was exceptionally positive and constructive with the two guys who would run the event at the track per our rules. They have timing equipment and Raceiver equipment and many years of experience. Once I get a rock solid foundation under this I will have a Motorsportreg.com page to do sign-ups and can block off some hotel rooms in Fernley. Piece of cake to do all this.

Quick Reply: Fast 4.0 at Laguna Seca this weekend