Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tell me about this new "faux" manual tranny for the 991

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Tell me about this new "faux" manual tranny for the 991

I've seen a few posts about the MT in the 991- said to be not a real manual tranny. How so?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 112 Posts

it's the same gearbox as the PDK, except they have engineered some nifty little gizmos that allow a traditional shift pattern for their manual transmission "version". I've seen Porsche's in-house technical bulletin that they train their employees with.....

Now that they have taken weight out of the car's chassis, they can now use this heavy *** tranny in all cars, including the forthecoming GT3. Whether or not it can handle track abuse is the real question.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:45 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How can it be the same? Surely there are not two clutches right?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Tejas500
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am confused on this as well. I have heard of a dual clutch, faux manual 7 speed option for the 991 GT cars from a Porsche salesman locally after they got back from their training in California back in February. He said that they briefly mentioned it and moved on very quickly to another subject. Never the less I am intrigued.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:24 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/9056218-post10.html
Old 06-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 93 Posts

No 2 clutches, no dual input shafts, cable operated not electronically activated, based on PDK but quite different internals, not faux, making a mountain out of a molehill IMO....
Old 06-20-2012, 01:51 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, doesn't make much sense to call it faux anything. The two concepts are very different.

And evolving/developing a slower shifting unit to me more like a faster shifting one should be considered as a plus IMO. The technology going into PDK is evolving, why not evolve the manual as well?

That being said, if the weight is the same, Porsche are sabotaging any benefit the manual had other than driver involvement, and the manual will be going away sooner than I thought.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I agree, doesn't make much sense to call it faux anything. The two concepts are very different.

And evolving/developing a slower shifting unit to me more like a faster shifting one should be considered as a plus IMO. The technology going into PDK is evolving, why not evolve the manual as well?
+1

I don't understand all the hatred towards evolving products. For the not forward thinkers go get a old model T hand crank car because I'm sure the electric starter caused some concern years ago.....geesh!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tejas500
I am confused on this as well. I have heard of a dual clutch, faux manual 7 speed option for the 991 GT cars from a Porsche salesman locally after they got back from their training in California back in February. He said that they briefly mentioned it and moved on very quickly to another subject. Never the less I am intrigued.
That's a description of PDK.....
Old 06-20-2012, 02:00 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Old 06-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Tejas500
AutoX

My apologies for my description coming off as being "archaic or falsely advertised" not my intentions at all, I was simply relaying the small talk I have encountered in regards to the 991 GT offering. I am well aware of what PDK is so I was not referring to that either.

At this point everything is speculation at best so I take everything I read or hear with a grain of salt and nothing more.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tejas500
My apologies for my description coming off as being "archaic or falsely advertised" not my intentions at all, I was simply relaying the small talk I have encountered in regards to the 991 GT offering. I am well aware of what PDK is so I was not referring to that either.

At this point everything is speculation at best so I take everything I read or hear with a grain of salt and nothing more.
No apology necessary. I didn't mean to come on too strongly; was just pointing out that the salesman was likely, although confusingly, referring to PDK when he spoke of a dual clutch faux manual. PDK has been rumored for the new GT's and it is sometimes referred to as an auto-manual. A third choice besides the manual 7sp and PDK is highly unlikely and that was the point of my response. Didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with your post.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Tejas500
AutoX

^^^No worries here^^
Old 06-20-2012, 03:13 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That engineering "solution" to adapt the PDK shift pattern to manual is neither simple, nor elegant, nor particularly robust looking. It looks like poor engineering plain and simple. It seems to me that as tooling precision and materials science have evolved, the art of sound engineering is rapidly disappearing because inelegant and over-complicated designs will work. Similar to the state of computer programming - as the hardware got faster, the programmers got sloppier because they could get away with it.

Seriously that shift pattern adapter mechanism is something Rube Goldberg would be proud of.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:42 PM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
+1

I don't understand all the hatred towards evolving products. For the not forward thinkers go get a old model T hand crank car because I'm sure the electric starter caused some concern years ago.....geesh!
There's no hatred, IMO, but most manual guys feel that operating a manual is enjoyable and a large part of the driving experience (which it is) and scoff when dual-clutch guys (some of whom probably can't drive a manual well or at all) equate manuals with things such as crank starters. I don't ever recall manual guys complaining about conveniences such as electric starters, power mirrors or remote door locks, since they don't affect the driving experience.

In the future when they begin replacing the steering wheel with a joystick or something, I bet today's dual-clutch guys will argue ad-infinitum that it ruins the driving experience all the while others name fifty different ways the joystick is superior...lol!

Quick Reply: Tell me about this new "faux" manual tranny for the 991