Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Beginner Track Car, not for me

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:53 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Point well taken, were spoiled.

Still, what would you be able to drive to come up to a Mustang? It cost $$ to make them work and last. Fast yes, nice? No.
I'd always prefer something that feels nice and nimble and that is balanced in base trim. Old 3 series, all Porsches, Miata, etc.

I'd rather have an old stock 944, 3 series or even an old c2.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Still, what would you be able to drive to come up to a Mustang? It cost $$ to make them work and last. Fast yes, nice? No.
I'd always prefer something that feels nice and nimble and that is balanced in base trim. Old 3 series, all Porsches, Miata, etc.

Absolutely. 944 and 968 are both very fun to drive in their realm. 964 C2 is unbeatable "no money" fun. Even the Boxster, something like the sweet spot '03 S, just a lot of car that can be quick with only tires and dampers. I'd take any of these ahead of a bridge-girder suspension pony car, but if it were a matter of wanting a fun race class, it's an interesting idea. I just wish the US had all these race series you see in Europe with these sorts of Porsche being campaigned with large, competitive fields. Again, I think that's where GTL is appealing. For a years' budget of tires and brakes in a Cup, you can setup a GTL and be in w2w in a reasonably quick 911 that doesn't get boring on the tracks that need something under the right foot.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Exactly,
That's my fear having always driven 911's That's why I'm thinking MX5 due to all the comments about handling, fast around corners, classed so you could race against others easily. Haven't driven one setup yet so curious. Know I'd miss the speed but want to learn more and just be able to afford more track time.

They've got to be a blast driving them all out and on the edge.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Old 03-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just stumbled across this thread on track cars and the Mx-5 cup cars while at Road Atlanta attending a 3-day Skip Barber racing school. Have only completed the first day and we're not really pushing the car yet, but, wow, I am very impressed with how quick and nimble these MX-5 cup cars are. Similar power to weight as my S2 (actually I think the MX-5 is maybe 200 lbs lighter) but the throttle response is instantaneous and it feels quicker. Can't wait for the next two days.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
mazda mx5 cup car. welded in roll cage and fire system- SAFETY FIRST. less than 200hp. modern, tunable suspension set up. data system. crate engine $3500-4000. run it on kumho track tires (less than a grand a set when I was first driving, not sure what they cost now)- and it's eligible for all sorts of races.
it's not a porsche but is capable of running similar track times to a GT3RS. and it's safer than anything else you can buy for the same price.

do not get him something rusty and antiquated. I can't believe people are suggesting a 996 GT3. he's 18.

it's your money and you can do what you want- but I think he would need to prove and earn his way into anything above 200hp. 300-400? haha. his first mistake (if he's a kart driver he's probably going to be really aggressive) in a 300-400hp car without a roll cage could cost you a lot more than just a new fender (hospital bills etc)

+1
Old 03-30-2013, 01:34 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
because when you have sachs 3 way adjustable dampers and good tires you don't slow down much in between the straights, and most gt3rs drivers at DE events aren't wringing out all the performance they can from their cars anyway. I took my mx5 cup car to a porsche DE event and after having to argue that I could keep up spent most of the day passing 911 turbos and DE champion gt3 drivers.
I'd like to see the video of that
Old 03-30-2013, 01:43 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^
+1
Old 03-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you made your choice, if you ever look for other option give the Spec Boxter a closer look it seems to still be a growing field and is a go cart on steroids. Good luck, many of the younger guys coming up are going to be fabulous drivers thanks to carts and dads that lead the way for them.

Quick Reply: Beginner Track Car, not for me