Beginner Track Car, not for me

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks for understanding my position.....because my wife and I never had children... some...well most of our friends that do have kids and are no longer friends due to their choice are always offended and say, " you don't have kids so you don't understand". These parents give their kids everything....they turn 16 they get a new Boxster, a new Lexus SUV, school...it's free, kids never worked, never cut neighbors grass to earn, never washed neighbors cars or boats for extra money, never learned how to go out and get a job, never learned any responsibility...and these teens/young adults always had zero respect and a sense of entitlement.

I agree and kind of what I was getting at...adults raise/teach the young ones to become the best they can be....just don't give them everything...teach them how to work, earn, be responsible.
I'm with you 100% Mike. Unfortunately my ex and I never agreed on this and she used her own $ to buy my daughter a new Lexus when she was 17. She put her foot down on my desire that the kids have high school jobs, and now we are divorced. (one of the big reasons) The girls are doing well in college so maybe it will work out ok anyhow. They have no interest in even attempting to pay their own way through college however and in the divorce agreement I have no latitude on that. One is heading to dental school and the other to law school. I'm hoping to have at least 2-3 years of no bills for kids before I hit the nursing home and hopefully they'll make enough to pay for that :-))

As for the topic, a Boxster S like in my avatar is a great choice.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:21 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right ... I think is a great thing that a lot of parents here have the ''freedom'' and ability to buy and provide as much as they want or whatever they want.
I'm in the low 30s and I grew up as a 'spoiled' kid in a society where we used to drive 150K cars when 16 (even under legal age in my country). My parents always provided me everything, but my father was really strict to me. He died when I was 20, and I choose to follow my own way and make my own choices.
All I can think is that the fact that they provided me a lot didn't make me a spoiled brat, but gave me the opportunity to have great network, education, and freedom that $ can provide to be able to travel, and experience different cultures and at the same time a desire for more, and a different life than the one I used to live.
Bottom line is, if they deserve, you have the means, why not ???
Old 08-11-2012, 02:21 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW this comes from someone that doesn't have kids, and has no desire to do so....

I love my dog
Old 10-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Autocrosser#73
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
If you guys want any info on MX5 cup stuff hit me up. not sure if you guys are aware but I do run my own team as well: cjwilsonracing.com

you don't have to buy or rent from me but I can give you an unbiased rundown on what to expect- they're awesome cars and when set up right are extremely rewarding to drive (like I said faster than 911's and about same speed as a gt3RS on hoosiers per lap)

when you go over the limit you generally have enough time to bring it back and stay grassy vs hitting stuff
How can a MX5 Cup be as fast as a GT3RS?! At 2500 lbs and with 190hp, they only have a power to weight ratio of approx. 13!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Autocrosser#73
How can a MX5 Cup be as fast as a GT3RS?! At 2500 lbs and with 190hp, they only have a power to weight ratio of approx. 13!
because when you have sachs 3 way adjustable dampers and good tires you don't slow down much in between the straights, and most gt3rs drivers at DE events aren't wringing out all the performance they can from their cars anyway. I took my mx5 cup car to a porsche DE event and after having to argue that I could keep up spent most of the day passing 911 turbos and DE champion gt3 drivers.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Autocrosser#73
I don't think it's a literal car-to-car comparison.

because when you have sachs 3 way adjustable dampers and good tires you don't slow down much in between the straights, and most gt3rs drivers at DE events aren't wringing out all the performance they can from their cars anyway. I took my mx5 cup car to a porsche DE event and after having to argue that I could keep up spent most of the day passing 911 turbos and DE champion gt3 drivers.
That's about the size of it -- one is a heavy, livable street car, usually in the hands of a driver -- having a sense of self-preservation and cost -- capable of accessing 50-80% of its potential on given road legal tires and factory parts bin suspension, the other is a bespoke race car with suspension that requires professional skills and technical equipment to balance tire, spring, and damper to set up for each specific track and race duration, in the hands of a trained driver -- in full safety gear, willing to take much higher risks in a controlled environment -- capable of extracting 95-100% of the car.

It's the comparison of power versus momentum. On a track that favors handling and apex speeds (what some would call a "technical" track) the momentum car has the advantage because the track affords it more time and distance doing what it does best, while the power car spends very little time at wide open throttle and near its higher top speeds.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey CJ
If one wanted to experience the MX5 would you suggest Skippy at Laguna Seca to really get to drive one. Are their cars the MX5 Cups?

Really wondering myself how to afford to really drive more and start to compete which I can't afford in my car even though it's a street GT3 Cup Conversion. The tires and consumables are all still really $$$ not to mention any body work if /when needed.

Really want to drive more. Know of good built MX5's

Eric

Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

^ i think CJ can get MX5 built for you.
go for it. then let me wring it out.
maybe i will join ya ;-)
Old 10-07-2012, 12:36 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Yep CJ is soooooo correct! I've been to DE's with a Grand AM Mazda MX 5 car and the car and drivers where amazing....very fast especially in the corners.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:32 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Guys we went down the 944 spec series route. The car is really fun to driver on small tracks. Cant wait to try it at thunderhill or sears point.

Still have the rs for me, the 944, price point was perfect.

Cant think of a better car for buttonwillow, RS just too big for that track.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Look forward to reports
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
maybe i will join ya ;-)
Mooty, Certainly thinking about it

The other tempting direction is a few guys now building to new Spec Mustang class David Ray is trying to start. Just not sure I like that type of handling but they do have more horses and are supposedly pretty fun. I know John Trefethen just had one built and says it's a blast. Last time I drove one "more stock" it seemed to take lot's of trail brake to rotate.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
maybe i will join ya ;-)
I would have thought you're already ordering a BAC Mono to go rub tires (so to speak) with Savvy.

If there was enough local competition in a Miata Cup sort of series, I'd be interested (if it's relatively cheap to run a weekend and it's not the "Spec Attrition" Miata scene.) At present, I think GTL is still the most interesting format.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric S
Mooty, Certainly thinking about it

The other tempting direction is a few guys now building to new Spec Mustang class David Ray is trying to start. Just not sure I like that type of handling but they do have more horses and are supposedly pretty fun. I know John Trefethen just had one built and says it's a blast. Last time I drove one "more stock" it seemed to take lot's of trail brake to rotate.
I drove some mild track Mustangs, both mine and some driving schools. It really drives and feels like crap to me. Drive on before you buy!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I drove some mild track Mustangs, both mine and some driving schools. It really drives and feels like crap to me. Drive on before you buy!
It's all relative -- if the driver is coming "up" to a 'Stang, it can be a fun track car. But if you're familiar with a well-sorted RS 3.8 or let's say in the future, one were to become familiar with a RS 4.0 ... just for arguments' sake ... then these sorts of race cars are a tad slow and dull. I respect the bang for the buck and if the name of the game is wheel to wheel racing, all the better.

Quick Reply: Beginner Track Car, not for me