Beginner Track Car, not for me

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep I guess the world of parenting and raising children to become responsible young adults is going away. What do I know I don't have kids but it seems like teens in today's world don't respect what others have or how hard people that don't get handed wealth work to achieve.
A major part of my job brings me around young 20 something's and I'd estimate that 95% of them have no idea the work, responsibility, sacrifice, street smarts and people skills it takes to do what I do. I get asked questions a lot about how I got my job. When I tell them how most all in my position got our jobs these teens and 20 something's don't know what to say or think. They think they think,they just should be handed everything...from the professional musical instruments to the job I do....geesh I fear what society will be like.

Ok rant off...don't care if I offended anyone...get thicker skin...y'all put it out there...now my feelings are in the open on this subject.
I don't see anything you've written here that could be taken as offensive.

The thing I'd add is that every generation or two, say every 15 years or so, give or take, "we" old generations tend to observe how the current younger generation are imbued with an unquestioning sense of entitlement -- they appear blissfully, almost deliberately ignorant of what prior generations have endured to make all this possible.

This cyclical nature appears in all manner of human existence and brings about whole schools of philosophy and even blockbuster movies like The Matrix. Everything that has gone before will happen again. Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it. Youth is wasted on the young.

I encourage my two children to aim high, to expect more and never settle.

If I were to call for any generation today to rethink its ways, it's the adults today, not the kids. When are the adults going to learn to look after themselves, to vote with knowledge and good conscience, and to demand and end to corruption in their governments? When are the adults going to demand an end to all wars with no exceptions?

These things matter and it's up to the adults to be far less selfish, to plan ahead for themselves and their children. Selfish kids just need a hug, and kick in the pants. : )
Old 06-24-2012, 09:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I don't see anything you've written here that could be taken as offensive.

If I were to call for any generation today to rethink its ways, it's the adults today, not the kids.
Thanks for understanding my position.....because my wife and I never had children... some...well most of our friends that do have kids and are no longer friends due to their choice are always offended and say, " you don't have kids so you don't understand". These parents give their kids everything....they turn 16 they get a new Boxster, a new Lexus SUV, school...it's free, kids never worked, never cut neighbors grass to earn, never washed neighbors cars or boats for extra money, never learned how to go out and get a job, never learned any responsibility...and these teens/young adults always had zero respect and a sense of entitlement.

I agree and kind of what I was getting at...adults raise/teach the young ones to become the best they can be....just don't give them everything...teach them how to work, earn, be responsible.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

^^^
Mike again I agree with you completely.
In todays society of immediate gratification and want, it's very difficult but possible for parents still instill values and appreciation of earning what you have.
It's very easy to blow and spend that buck they gave to you BUT when you had to earn that buck you think about it before you spend it.
This isn't the place for this discussion.

I apologize to the OP for going off topic.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 06-24-2012, 10:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I too apologize for getting a little off topic...typical rennlist huh?...LOL
Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yep I guess the world of parenting and raising children to become responsible young adults is going away. What do I know I don't have kids but it seems like teens in today's world don't respect what others have or how hard people that don't get handed wealth work to achieve.
A major part of my job brings me around young 20 something's and I'd estimate that 95% of them have no idea the work, responsibility, sacrifice, street smarts and people skills it takes to do what I do. I get asked questions a lot about how I got my job. When I tell them how most all in my position got our jobs these teens and 20 something's don't know what to say or think. They think they think,they just should be handed everything...from the professional musical instruments to the job I do....geesh I fear what society will be like.

Ok rant off...don't care if I offended anyone...get thicker skin...y'all put it out there...now my feelings are in the open on this subject.
Ok I have to comment here on this one. No offense on your rant. There are a ton of kids out there that have no sense of responsibility or reality. Not this kid. Time to brag. He works for our construction company, I mean really works, straight A's in school, and a varsity soccer star, leads the high school ministry at our church. We are almost done building a 1960 vw rag top together so he is learning the mechanical side.

He has outgrown the go carts. We won't buy the track car until he sells the carts and parts.

BTW, I didn't say I wouldn't drive it. I too would like to have something smaller and cheaper to run than the RS at times. He is not spoiled, and I am not rich, I just enjoy spending time with him. We can't afford a 996 gt3, I am thinking a miata or 944, all seem to be around 10k which is what I hope we get out of the carts and parts we sell.

What great feedback from everyone and Mdrums aren't you going to mancationII?
If so see you then...and you can decide what kind of people we are.... I think you will find we are hard workers and like to play even harder...
Old 06-29-2012, 12:46 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by stujelly
Ok I have to comment here on this one. No offense on your rant. There are a ton of kids out there that have no sense of responsibility or reality. Not this kid. Time to brag. He works for our construction company, I mean really works, straight A's in school, and a varsity soccer star, leads the high school ministry at our church. We are almost done building a 1960 vw rag top together so he is learning the mechanical side.

He has outgrown the go carts. We won't buy the track car until he sells the carts and parts.

BTW, I didn't say I wouldn't drive it. I too would like to have something smaller and cheaper to run than the RS at times. He is not spoiled, and I am not rich, I just enjoy spending time with him. We can't afford a 996 gt3, I am thinking a miata or 944, all seem to be around 10k which is what I hope we get out of the carts and parts we sell.

What great feedback from everyone and Mdrums aren't you going to mancationII?
If so see you then...and you can decide what kind of people we are.... I think you will find we are hard workers and like to play even harder...
Stujelly, No not going on mancation II...I wish...but I can't take off work that long and no trailer to pull a car around. Sales in my industry are slow and brutal right now

Last edited by mdrums; 06-30-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S with all the right history, 34,000 original miles. Would make a perfect base for your project.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
BRZ will be the next miata, but no aftermkt stuff for it.
Mooty,
Are you living under a rock? The aftermarket on this car is totally exploding. I've had my BRZ exactly 3 weeks today and I can buy pretty much anything I want to upgrade it for the track. Hell, the Toyota variant has already won 2 classes at the 24 Hours of the Ring. If I wanted, HKS could build me an engine from scratch with all new proprietary parts. I'll have a sequential gearbox in mine before the snow falls.

As for the topic at hand? I agree with the Miata people. Great car for a kid to learn some real driving skills.

And thank Dog my little girl is still in diapers and I won't have to think about this question personally for 16 years...
Old 06-30-2012, 12:15 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Hey that BZR looks pretty cool.

Thank you so much guys
Old 06-30-2012, 09:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

BRZ seems like a great car to start with and it will be upgraded like crazy over the last 5 years..

Old 06-30-2012, 11:16 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes! Great pricing, healthy after market, and choose from Scion FRS, Subaru BRZ and the Toyota 86.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Mission accomplished.

We took the path of least resistance and found a turn key 944 spec racer on the west coast.

We are in the process of painting and personalizing it this next week.

Thank you again to everyone for your help and suggestions.
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2012, 01:32 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, congrats to you and your son
Old 08-11-2012, 01:40 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

A porsche should not even be a consideration. E30 325is or e36 M3. Closed topic.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:50 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944
A porsche should not even be a consideration. E30 325is or e36 M3. Closed topic.
Did I mention i want to drive it too.

The problem is there are a lot of good cars out there but I got a good deal on this one with lots of spares and a new engine.

Quick Reply: Beginner Track Car, not for me