Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Centerlock Hub Failure Buttonwillow 5/25/12

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012 | 03:05 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Very good analysis John (post #55).

Additionally, whether the car is operated on the street or track should not matter.

What does matter is that the car be operated within its design envelope. If the motor is not over-revved, if impact forces are not experienced, if the car is not adversely modified, what does it matter whether the tarmac underneath is part of the road or off-road network? The car certainly doesn't know.
Old 05-31-2012 | 03:13 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Ditto on Post#55 - well said John!!!

Human error on a long/complex procedure such as the CL R&R, is a very easy thing to happen. I believe that the procedure much too complex for the general public....and this, I think, is the point that Porsche (as thorough as they are) completely underestimated.

Doug N.
Old 05-31-2012 | 04:06 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJN

Human error on a long/complex procedure such as the CL R&R, is a very easy thing to happen. I believe that the procedure much too complex for the general public....and this, I think, is the point that Porsche (as thorough as they are) completely underestimated.

Doug N.
That is the bottom line.

The CL system itself has proven to be perfectly capable of doing what it was designed to do- hold the wheel to the hub. It is only after the wheel is removed/replaced that problems arise due to improper procedures being followed by some people. Compounded by Porsche making available a document to their dealers on what warning signs, caused by improper torque, to look for and not vigorously promoting the same bulletin far and wide outside the dealer network.

An education campaign from the very beginning would have gone a long way to forestalling the current issue.

PS- there are some things going on in the background and at some point in the next few days I/we am going to get a post up of warning signs to look for on the CL system.

Last edited by savyboy; 05-31-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-31-2012 | 04:07 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DJN

Doug N.
unrelated to OP's situation.
I concur with doug.
the design may or may not be flawed.
but if it causes ANY confusion, then it's bad news.
it needs to b fool proof.
Old 05-31-2012 | 04:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by savyboy
I know of one five-lug failure? Any system can fail if improperly serviced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4m41viy4I
izzone and I had a chat on this.
systems should b simple and easy to use
I think we all agree five lugs are simpler than CL.
that's not to say five lugs are accident free.

there are precise ppl like izzon and savvy
there are common sense ppl like me
then there r suicidal crazies like the rx7 driver

some ppl can be helped others cannot
if one sees a tooth brush and insist on sticking it into his rear end to cln it.... well
Old 05-31-2012 | 05:39 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

another flaw is that they should have used the same system as on the Carrera GT. Inverse the thread on one side of the car.
Old 05-31-2012 | 05:43 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
unrelated to OP's situation.
..............it needs to b fool proof.
And we can all be "fools" on a given day! I've proved it to myself numerous times!

Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 05-31-2012 | 07:21 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
izzone and I had a chat on this.
systems should b simple and easy to use
I think we all agree five lugs are simpler than CL.
that's not to say five lugs are accident free.

there are precise ppl like izzon and savvy
there are common sense ppl like me
then there r suicidal crazies like the rx7 driver

some ppl can be helped others cannot
if one sees a tooth brush and insist on sticking it into his rear end to cln it.... well
CL are simple to use....but if you insist

All 4.0 have CL, CL fail......all 4.0 are now worth half

I'll do a 5 lug conversion on Giesha, you trade me your 4.0 for even money

you are safe, I beat Reter
Old 05-31-2012 | 07:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Izzone

That's a great proposition Mooty, you should go for it.
Old 05-31-2012 | 09:05 PM
RFrench
Rennlist Member

I really like the way PCNA positions the GT3RS. Check out their website and the video - it's all at a track.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/911-gt3rs/

Porsche advertise the GT3RS as a track car - but no mention of lack of warranty when taken to the track.
Old 05-31-2012 | 09:56 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrums
Originally Posted by Izzone

That's a great proposition Mooty, you should go for it.
+1
Old 05-31-2012 | 11:48 PM
Waterboy
Intermediate

This seems like a marketing problem for Porsche if someone dies as a result of a failure. How many times in the past has auto manufactures been sued successfully due to the manufacturer trying to save a few dollars and in the end costing them a lot more. I think CL's were a marketing idea to set apart our cars from the rest. Lets face it, they may look great but we own the cars because we like to drive them. It seems this failure was pretty well documented to leave some real questions in my mind to how durable this system is. If later on we find Porsche has known about this for awhile, then they risk not only money, but more importantly reputation which in my mind is irreparable.
Old 06-01-2012 | 12:00 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Do you mean the reputation for leaking RMS, Exploding Cluches, Blown coolant fittings causing numerous wrecked cars

Peter
Old 06-01-2012 | 02:03 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

As an aside, I called my track insurer (Lockton) today. When I described a hypothetical event similar to this one, they said that they would have covered everything but the cost of the mechanical failure itself. All resulting damage would have been covered. Somewhat comforting. My car is off to my shop next week for usual post track maintenance and a full hub and wheel inspection. It will be added to the post track routine from now on.
Old 06-01-2012 | 06:30 AM
ethel19
Advanced

Originally Posted by FFaust
Very good analysis John (post #55).

Additionally, whether the car is operated on the street or track should not matter.

What does matter is that the car be operated within its design envelope. If the motor is not over-revved, if impact forces are not experienced, if the car is not adversely modified, what does it matter whether the tarmac underneath is part of the road or off-road network? The car certainly doesn't know.
I very much agree with this statement and a couple of others that convey Porsches advertisement of the GT cars. They are posed as being track cars. The famous video of Walter R. driving a Red 997.2 GT3 on a track sliding all over the place leaves me with the impression that I can drive my GT3 without fear that the parts will fall off and Porsche will ignore any problem.
Now, I understand that they are not race cars. And if you enter your GT3 in a race that pays you money for your result the car would not be covered. However as stated above, if you drive the car within it's proper operating "design envelope" then how can they walk away from that. With ALL the computer stuff that they have on these cars Porsche can tell if the car has been driven outside of that envelope. If Porsche is going to keep on advertising a GT3 as the "ultimate track day weapon" as I have seen on Porsche videos, then back up the car, other wise say that the car is fast but no better designed then a Mustang and stay off a track.
I have always thought that spending all this money on a car like this meant something. That THIS car was different, better, durable. But now? I wonder.

Quick Reply: Centerlock Hub Failure Buttonwillow 5/25/12