Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Group Buy, Voltphreaks lithium battery group buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vph_tony
Hi DTM, ideally we don't want it to apply to too many models, but we can extend it to the VPR-S40. Thanks! - Tony
That's a lot of battery in a 9 pound package.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:18 PM
dtm407
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not if your car spins and stalls in the middle of the track! you can't have too many cranking amps in that situation! (the car just doesn't fire up right away-seems like hours of sheer terror)

thanks tony

ill check my alternator to see if i am putting out enough volts.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 AM
dtm407
Intermediate

tony

add me to the list for a VPR-S40

thanks

doug
Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 PM
lbpalm
Advanced

Default Buyin Interest

Hi,
I am interested in the VoltPhreaks buyin, however I do have a 2007 97.1 GT3 RS and am concerned about the potential alternator issue.

- Does anyone know whether this problem can be overcome by simply plugging into a qualified trickle charger each time the car is garaged for the night or day, week, etc.?

I'll try to do a test this week before the 6/8 deadline.

Also, any information about which VIN series or VIN # blocks may or may not have the issue would be enlightening information.

Thanks in advance for any info & will try to get the voltage test done this week.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 PM
vph_tony
Advanced

dtm407, email sent!

lbpalm, a trickle charger may help but it's a "bandaid" and doesn't really solve the issue, which is that the alternator's voltage isn't high enough for keep the battery charged. Best is to measure voltage. Also, I'm not aware of a way to tell with VIN, model #, etc... But maybe a Porsche expert can chime in.

BTW we are extending the deadline to 6/15. Some people are waiting for the first batch to be built before joining the group buy, and building the batteries in a batch takes a little longer. Thanks!

- Tony
Old 06-03-2012, 09:04 PM
bensf
Racer

Tony - for those of us that placed orders early in the group buy, when can we expect them to be built and shipped?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:18 PM
vph_tony
Advanced

A few have shipped already, the rest will ship early next (this coming) week. So, very soon!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Hi Eduardo, answers below:B) Yes CTek's are compatible. Looking at the manual, we recommend the motorcycle or middle ("car") setting, since they charge to 14.4V (recommended charge voltage) for maintenance purposes.- Tony
Tony I have two further questions for you.

1) Regarding the battery tender, I am currently connecting the CTek to the '12 Spyder via the cigar lighter plug in the center console of the cabin. After switching to your Lithium battery, would you recommend using doing the same via cigar lighter plug - except set at Motorcycle setting? Or direct connection positive and negative to the battery in the front compartment?

2) It looks like most of my Spyder/Cayman R friends at the Rennlist 987 forum are going with the larger VPR-P6. What about the others in the gt forum: Which model are they going for? I would be interested to know to see if there is a consensus, or trend, in what folks are ordering for their Porsches in this savvy forum.

By the way, thanks for extending the Group Buy until June 15th. I will inform the others at the 987 Forum.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 AM
vph_tony
Advanced

Originally Posted by Z356
Tony I have two further questions for you.

1) Regarding the battery tender, I am currently connecting the CTek to the '12 Spyder via the cigar lighter plug in the center console of the cabin. After switching to your Lithium battery, would you recommend using doing the same via cigar lighter plug - except set at Motorcycle setting? Or direct connection positive and negative to the battery in the front compartment?

2) It looks like most of my Spyder/Cayman R friends at the Rennlist 987 forum are going with the larger VPR-P6. What about the others in the gt forum: Which model are they going for? I would be interested to know to see if there is a consensus, or trend, in what folks are ordering for their Porsches in this savvy forum.

By the way, thanks for extending the Group Buy until June 15th. I will inform the others at the 987 Forum.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, Colorado
Good questions Eduardo,

Doing the same thing is fine that you currently do. It also really doesn't matter what setting you use, the Voltphreaks battery is compatible with a lead-acid battery (except for the fact that it requires somewhere in the mid 13 volt's to properly charge, while a lead-acid with low 13 volt's will still be partially charged, this isn't an issue with cars except for some Porsche GT's that have low alternator voltage). The only thing is, avoid using any special modes like desulfation, reconditioning, etc (I noticed the CTek has a "cold weather" program, don't use that either, though it is fine if you do).

I believe people choose the VPR-P6 since it has more capacity/power than the VPH750, which is the smallest Voltphreaks battery that we recommend for the Porsche. Also, the VPR-P6 is size compatible with common aftermarket battery mounts.

- Tony
Old 06-05-2012, 11:24 AM
lbpalm
Advanced

Will an Optima OMAX-12A-1B charger properly charge/maintain the VPR-P6?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:56 AM
lbpalm
Advanced

Good questions Eduardo,

Doing the same thing is fine that you currently do. It also really doesn't matter what setting you use, the Voltphreaks battery is compatible with a lead-acid battery (except for the fact that it requires somewhere in the mid 13 volt's to properly charge, while a lead-acid with low 13 volt's will still be partially charged, this isn't an issue with cars except for some Porsche GT's that have low alternator voltage). The only thing is, avoid using any special modes like desulfation, reconditioning, etc (I noticed the CTek has a "cold weather" program, don't use that either, though it is fine if you do).

I believe people choose the VPR-P6 since it has more capacity/power than the VPH750, which is the smallest Voltphreaks battery that we recommend for the Porsche. Also, the VPR-P6 is size compatible with common aftermarket battery mounts.

- Tony
dtm407, email sent!

lbpalm, a trickle charger may help but it's a "bandaid" and doesn't really solve the issue, which is that the alternator's voltage isn't high enough for keep the battery charged. Best is to measure voltage. Also, I'm not aware of a way to tell with VIN, model #, etc... But maybe a Porsche expert can chime in.

BTW we are extending the deadline to 6/15. Some people are waiting for the first batch to be built before joining the group buy, and building the batteries in a batch takes a little longer. Thanks!

- Tony
Hi Tony,
A few questions:

1. Can you also make VPh recommendations for the following cars for which I'd also like to get VPh batteries:
A. 2012 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca (mostly time trial, very little street);
B. Porsche 944 Turbo (race only) with Motec & M&W/Nology ignition setup.
- I've been running an Odyssey 680 in the 951 but suspect that it may be contributing to electrical issues... (not really sure though)

2. Do you know if the "BatteryMinder Plus" Model 12117 from VDC Electronics is a true "float" charger, or is it a trickle charger? The reason I ask is because I have used this unit on my 2007 GT3RS since new and now have a boiled-out/ruined battery.

3. Before I assume a multi-unit buy is OK by a single purchaser, is this OK?

4. Last, which float chargers do you recommend for the batteries above you may suggest?

Many Thanks!

Last edited by lbpalm; 06-05-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-05-2012, 12:43 PM
bensf
Racer

It seems like there's a lot of concern from members about using their current chargers. Why not get the recommended charger, it's only $24 with the group buy discount? I have a Mercedes branded Ctek charger but decided to get the recommended Battery Tender Jr. just to make sure there are no computability issues. Plus my current charger is 6 years old, who knows if it's still working correctly.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:47 PM
lbpalm
Advanced

Agreed.
I was mainly curious to know if the chargers I have can cause problems with lead batteries, although I do understand that the Optima OMAX-12A-1B should not be used with wet cell units.

Last edited by lbpalm; 06-05-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: add info
Old 06-05-2012, 03:49 PM
vph_tony
Advanced

Originally Posted by lbpalm
Will an Optima OMAX-12A-1B charger properly charge/maintain the VPR-P6?
About the OMAX-12A-1B Odyssey charger, yes that will work fine. I just read the manual, they recommend a 2 foot cable on the negative end, and to make the final connection here, as far away from the battery as possible. You don't need to do this with the Voltphreaks battery. With lead-acid batteries, this is recommended because the final connection will produce a spark, which can ignite possible hydrogen gas that the lead-acid battery vents.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 PM
lbpalm
Advanced

Tony, Any battery recommendations for my cars listed above (3 posts up)?
..& how about that BatteryMinder Plus Mod#12117?
Thanks in advance,
Lee.

Last edited by lbpalm; 06-05-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: clarify

Quick Reply: Group Buy, Voltphreaks lithium battery group buy