Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

19" track wheels with best cost/performance ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:42 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Savyboy, Check your email. Thanks, Allan
Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Laertes
Scott--

Great question; simple answer: Rain.

We get a lot of it here, and sometimes our track days are part rain/part sun (or, more realistically, part not-rain). I don't want to have to cancel every track day if there's a little rain because I don't want to aquaplane all over the place on the freeway while driving to the track in the wet. My plan is to have a set of wheels mounted with MPSS which will be the daily driver tires and can get me to the track safely and acquit themselves quite well on the track on the moister days (and even if it dries out), and then have a set of wheels with true R-compound tires for the dry days (the MPSC that are on the car now, and when those go the new Trofeo R should be out and I'll try those. Or maybe the rumor of Toyo re-releasing the RA1 will come true....)

-Will
Aaah- the Pacific Northwest...kind of like... Northeast Ohio That makes sense then.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:16 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
Default wheels

Um, why dont you just use your stock wheels?

If you drive it on the street, then keep the one set of wheels and replace tires as need be...
Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1

If you drive it on the street, then keep the one set of wheels and replace tires as need be...
I do about 12-15 track days/year. Weather is too unpredictable. If I could count on dry weather, that's what I'd do (mount the R-comps in May, the MPSS in Oct) and be done with it. Unfortunately, I need tires I can take to the track either wet or dry, and sometimes I don't decide which I'm going to take until the morning of the event. So I have to have two sets.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI you won't lose that much performance going from Cup to Super Sport tires, unless your car is set up for the Cups specifically and you can eek out the tough to reach last 1% out of them. If its DE, would that really matter?
Old 05-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
FYI you won't lose that much performance going from Cup to Super Sport tires, unless your car is set up for the Cups specifically and you can eek out the tough to reach last 1% out of them. If its DE, would that really matter?
I know. I had R888 or MPSC on my track wheels and Super Sports on my road wheels on my old car. I've had both on the track, and the Super Sports are only about 1.5-2 sec slower/lap than the others (and would definitely last longer).

But 2 seconds on a 1:37 lap is a lot.....
Old 05-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's probably quite a bit more than 2 seconds per lap difference between a Cup and a Super Sport if set up optimally.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
There's probably quite a bit more than 2 seconds per lap difference between a Cup and a Super Sport if set up optimally.
Agreed. Last car wasn't set up for the track other than a mildly aggressive alignment. This one will be.....
Old 05-20-2012, 10:03 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

15 days per year... I suggest trailer and 2 sets of 18s
:-)
Old 05-20-2012, 10:29 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I do about 12-15 track days/year. Weather is too unpredictable. If I could count on dry weather, that's what I'd do (mount the R-comps in May, the MPSS in Oct) and be done with it. Unfortunately, I need tires I can take to the track either wet or dry, and sometimes I don't decide which I'm going to take until the morning of the event. So I have to have two sets.
Fair enough and good point.

Run street wheels with super sports and have second wheels mounted with sport cups for track days.

I suggest to keep running sport cups on your stock wheels until you find a used set of track wheels or a set of stock take off wheels to make as your dedicated track time wheel.

What color are your stock wheels?
Ask yourself what other color stock wheel you would like to see on your RS and go find em.
I have a set of orange factory wheels and a set of black factory wheels for my RS. The blacks are best on the track to hide brake dust.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I do exactly the same...
Old 05-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Fair enough and good point.

Run street wheels with super sports and have second wheels mounted with sport cups for track days.

I suggest to keep running sport cups on your stock wheels until you find a used set of track wheels or a set of stock take off wheels to make as your dedicated track time wheel.

What color are your stock wheels?
Ask yourself what other color stock wheel you would like to see on your RS and go find em.
I have a set of orange factory wheels and a set of black factory wheels for my RS. The blacks are best on the track to hide brake dust.
I'd be happy with another set of OEM wheels; however, I can't find any takeoffs anywhere.....
Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be happy with another set of OEM wheels; however, I can't find any takeoffs anywhere.....
I don't know what prices are in the US, but i regularly see sets of used OEM wheels on ebay in Europe, and the selling price is approx the same as for a new set of OZ wheels. Would be a no-brainer to me. OEM wheels are horribly expensive new.

Quick Reply: 19" track wheels with best cost/performance ratio?