Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone know if 997 decklid/front bumper will fit on a 997GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 PM
1slow911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
I really, really don't like the look of the tail and front air dam. Too "look at me" for my taste. What I'd really like is a GT3 sleeper
IMHO, there is no such thing as a “sleeper” GT3 or 911. They all look great and the average person does not look at them as an “average” car, regardless of the model. Most people can’t tell them apart. So the idea of “sleeper” GT3 is not feasible. Why? Because it is still a 911 and the parts from a “normal” Carrera are still parts from another 911. Don’t like the added attention from driving a nice car (any nice car for that matter), then don’t drive it.

Best of luck with your decision.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a huge difference between a stock-looking 911 and one with a huge spoiler and air dam. Just like in the 80's everyone recognized the difference between a 911 and a 930, with its whaletail and fender flares. When it comes to the 997, I prefer the look of former to the latter, but the performance and build quality of the latter to the former. This is America, right? We're allowed to have our own opinions and make our own choices here, I think.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
I'd guess that the best option is to get the GT3 RS decklid sans the rear wing... You would get some downforce or lift reduction by the duck tail effect, and you keep the intakes for required for the GT3...
yep. best idea. you could then have some 'end plates' machined to fit where the uprights would be, and totally eliminate any resale concerns.

as has been stated, you want to maintain any of the engineering elements (intakes on the rear deck, exhaust vents on the front bumper). a good shop would be able to engineer these solutions to meet the needs of the machine and your needs as an owner who has to look at it and drive it every day.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
No wing, No porsche, No Douche, No drama....

[IMG][/IMG]
Great idea !!

Can we do a deal on these with a group purchase. I'll take two.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,594 Likes on 739 Posts

In each color, if they come with a bride.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Traffic53
yep. best idea. you could then have some 'end plates' machined to fit where the uprights would be, and totally eliminate any resale concerns.

as has been stated, you want to maintain any of the engineering elements (intakes on the rear deck, exhaust vents on the front bumper). a good shop would be able to engineer these solutions to meet the needs of the machine and your needs as an owner who has to look at it and drive it every day.
To the OP, I'd keep the original parts for resale, then deal separately with the RS decklid. I wouldn't mess with switching the front end as there's a functional hot air extractor out of the front radiators, if you're too picky with the front lip you could even remove it....

Or...after a while all specialty parts it becomes second nature and you just enjoy driving it.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some basic things not being considered here:

1. The suspension on a GT3 is designed to work for a specific amount of downforce created by the stock aero pieces. Changing these changes the balance of the car.

2. Swapping bumpers and lids means swapping other pieces. GT3s have different air intake boxes than Carreras. Throttle body and MAF placement are also different between these cars. If you change the location of the MAF, you could negatively effect how the engine runs. When changing the bumper, you also have to take into account everything behind the bumper. You need to also check if bumper reinforcements, scoops and fender well trim will still matte up to the new bumper.

Totally understand where you are coming from, but these parts are very integral for what makes a GT3...a GT3. If you really want something milder and tamer I would recommend just getting a GTS or 991 C2S there other have recommended.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Just to recap on the OP,

I think your plan of having a GT3 in subtle fashion is justifed.

Ditch the stock lid and wing for an aftermarket RS rear lid with no wing. (keep stock stuff in boxes for resale)
This be the easiest set up for your airbox system.

Find a dismantler with a stock carrera front bumper and shelf your GT3 bumper.

Now you have a practical ground clearance GT3 without the boy racer wing.

You wont notice the lack of aero but you will appreciate the engine in a plain jane carrera style body.

Neat concept for a daily driver street car.

Quick Reply: Anyone know if 997 decklid/front bumper will fit on a 997GT3?