Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone know if 997 decklid/front bumper will fit on a 997GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:27 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone know if 997 decklid/front bumper will fit on a 997GT3?

This may come across as sacrilegious, but here goes. I'd like to get a 997 GT3, but I really, really don't like the look of the tail and front air dam. Too "look at me" for my taste. What I'd really like is a GT3 sleeper -- a GT3 with 997 front bumper and rear lid to replace the tail. Anyone know if these parts are interchangeable? Especially the rear lid....

Thanks in advance. Flame suit on. Fire when ready.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Boy racer rear wing and too low front bumper.... I hear you loud and clear.

You can buy an aftermarket rear GT3 lid and run it with no wing. So that is your problem solved right there. (for stock carrera lid, im not sure if the air box will work if you swapped)

I think a Carrera front bumper may just be a direct swap for a GT3 front bumper, but im not sure how much added clearance you would get.... (carrera guys sometimes switch to GT3 front bumper so it should be straight forward swap)

Most just scrape the GT3 front splitter and replace it as need be.
You can also trim fit them or leave them off altogether....

I imagine you are looking for a practical GT3
Others here have added rear seats FWIT...

Here is my lid with no wing.....
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2012, 07:38 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should consider a Carrera GTS without aero kit.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

second GTS idea but if you will get 997.1 GT3 in standard arctic silver color - we can swap bumpers. i would not mind to put gt3 ones on my car for shipping only expense.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:49 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get one of this here, no attention at all

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...,r:0,s:0,i:160
Old 05-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
This may come across as sacrilegious, but here goes. I'd like to get a 997 GT3, but I really, really don't like the look of the tail and front air dam. Too "look at me" for my taste. What I'd really like is a GT3 sleeper -- a GT3 with 997 front bumper and rear lid to replace the tail. Anyone know if these parts are interchangeable? Especially the rear lid....

Thanks in advance. Flame suit on. Fire when ready.
it is ... don't do it ... buy a GTS instead. Note that while a Carrera rear decklid will fit, you will have to spend more to get the mechanism to raise the spoiler to function... go price this out, its not cheap once you include painting and installation, on top of the price of a GT3 vs GTS... and there are still some new GTS'es out there with dealers!

Also, note that the front and rear aero is 'functional'; that is the car is designed to operate with the downforce applied, it is not merely "rice rocket" paraphernalia, you take it off you are now driving a car without that designed downforce... presumably you are getting a GT3 to drive it fast, just when the aero is most effective (or not) in addition you have probably voided any warranty, and in the event of an accident your insurance may not cover you if they are smart enough to realize the car has been modified in such a fashion...

lastly, if you do this, better keep the GT3 front bumper and rear decklid, without them you would never sell the car again ...
Old 05-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
it is ... don't do it ... buy a GTS instead. Note that while a Carrera rear decklid will fit, you will have to spend more to get the mechanism to raise the spoiler to function... go price this out, its not cheap once you include painting and installation, on top of the price of a GT3 vs GTS... and there are still some new GTS'es out there with dealers!

Also, note that the front and rear aero is 'functional'; that is the car is designed to operate with the downforce applied, it is not merely "rice rocket" paraphernalia, you take it off you are now driving a car without that designed downforce... presumably you are getting a GT3 to drive it fast, just when the aero is most effective (or not) in addition you have probably voided any warranty, and in the event of an accident your insurance may not cover you if they are smart enough to realize the car has been modified in such a fashion...

lastly, if you do this, better keep the GT3 front bumper and rear decklid, without them you would never sell the car again ...
sorry larry, but this response is, well, lacking.

i just can't seem to understand why folks feel the need to pile on their personal, unsubstantiated concerns about issues or projects that don't involve them. jeez.

the question was: 'will it work?' the standard answer in GT2/GT3 forum is: wait for it...

buy a GTS.

good lord. enough already with the insurance BS. many said the same thing about the rear seat projects that some have done, including me. provide us with just 1 example of an insurance claim that was denied for a 911 owner because they had a different wing or rear seats fitted. same goes for the warranty. i'm somewhat skeptical that the GT3's rear wing is what's keeping the whole machine together.

do what you please with YOUR car NP993. it's just an expensive lego set with loads of interchangeable parts. while there are certainly some limitations as you cross wide and narrow body cars, i believe most of the cosmetic bits are just that. that's not to say that the GT3 wing doesn't actually make 200# of downforce. it certainly does. but, it's not going to flutter away like a drunk butterfly if you ditch the wing. the GT3 top speed is 193mph. the GTS, 190mph with less power and no arrow bits on the same sheet metal. so, yeah, the wing is functional. when you're flat out through Eau Rouge at Spa, i bet the wing adds a nice pinch of rear end stability, maybe. but, when i'm sitting in the drive-thru at the coffee shop, that wing only helps to make me look like a bigger douche than i already look like driving my fancy-*** 911.

i have a GT3 and the wing is the only element of the car that i'm not in love with- so i'm with you. the low front splitter doesn't bother me, as i have the lift option. GT3 for me, provides much more than track prowess. it's a whole package of sound and feel that i don't believe any other street 911 has. visually, i'd take a GTS. but that's where it ends.

buy a GT3 and make it look like a GTS...but don't buy a GTS for goodness sake.

larry- don't mean to call you out here. just disagree
Old 05-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Traffic53
sorry larry, but this response is, well, lacking.

i just can't seem to understand why folks feel the need to pile on their personal, unsubstantiated concerns about issues or projects that don't involve them. jeez.

the question was: 'will it work?' the standard answer in GT2/GT3 forum is: wait for it...

buy a GTS.

good lord. enough already with the insurance BS. many said the same thing about the rear seat projects that some have done, including me. provide us with just 1 example of an insurance claim that was denied for a 911 owner because they had a different wing or rear seats fitted. same goes for the warranty. i'm somewhat skeptical that the GT3's rear wing is what's keeping the whole machine together.

do what you please with YOUR car NP993. it's just an expensive lego set with loads of interchangeable parts. while there are certainly some limitations as you cross wide and narrow body cars, i believe most of the cosmetic bits are just that. that's not to say that the GT3 wing doesn't actually make 200# of downforce. it certainly does. but, it's not going to flutter away like a drunk butterfly if you ditch the wing. the GT3 top speed is 193mph. the GTS, 190mph with less power and no arrow bits on the same sheet metal. so, yeah, the wing is functional. when you're flat out through Eau Rouge at Spa, i bet the wing adds a nice pinch of rear end stability, maybe. but, when i'm sitting in the drive-thru at the coffee shop, that wing only helps to make me look like a bigger douche than i already look like driving my fancy-*** 911.

i have a GT3 and the wing is the only element of the car that i'm not in love with- so i'm with you. the low front splitter doesn't bother me, as i have the lift option. GT3 for me, provides much more than track prowess. it's a whole package of sound and feel that i don't believe any other street 911 has. visually, i'd take a GTS. but that's where it ends.

buy a GT3 and make it look like a GTS...but don't buy a GTS for goodness sake.

larry- don't mean to call you out here. just disagree
lacking... oh in your personal and unsubstantiated opinion, perhaps then you can answer your own question above as to why you felt it necessary to respond to my remarks? c.f stones, glasshouses, pots, kettles etc.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

another couple of technical issues/questions arise in my mind, as follows:

rear decklid:
- will the GT3 airbox "mate" with the decklid intake correctly?
looking at the 997-2 PET pages I think the answer here is that it will not.
- is the GT3 wiring harness "compatible" such that it will operate a non-GT3 spoiler?

front bumper:
- the GT3 front bumper has a central air duct in front of the hood, and above the center radiator, this is absent from the Carrera; significant heat is vented through this duct primarily for cooling, but also to improve airflow and reduce lift on the front of the car, this may be an issue.

good luck
Old 05-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
lacking... oh in your personal and unsubstantiated opinion, perhaps then you can answer your own question above as to why you felt it necessary to respond to my remarks? c.f stones, glasshouses, pots, kettles etc.
no idea what you're talking about, but you seem kind of sensitive, and that's too bad.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 AM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd guess that the best option is to get the GT3 RS decklid sans the rear wing... You would get some downforce or lift reduction by the duck tail effect, and you keep the intakes for required for the GT3...

I've been thinking about this, I would run w/o wing to go to the office, and install the wing to go to the track .... or when I feel like having it there...

For those running GT3 RS, is the wing taller (meaning... better rear visibility when Smokey is chasing us...)?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:39 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No wing, No porsche, No Douche, No drama....

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Ruthless.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:17 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Even if u get that sleeper look honda civics with bored motors and turbos will blow u buy at a stoplite(trust me they do well on stoplites). Definition of sleeper is to surprise and win. U won't get that at all. A stock gtr will blow u by. I don't see the point of doing it. Put it on track with sleeper look- the guy with the stock front/rear will blow u by. Mike
Old 05-08-2012, 03:53 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all. I'm not looking to stoplight race with Hondas, believe me. And Larry, I'm not the least bit worried about aerodynamics. I've seen lots of regular 997's on road and not one of them appeared to be flying off the road due to lack of downforce. That's all I'm talking about here -- putting a couple of regular 997 parts on a GT3. Just personal aesthetic preference.

Quick Reply: Anyone know if 997 decklid/front bumper will fit on a 997GT3?