Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Another PCCB thread - help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Another PCCB thread - help

I bought a 10 gt3 rs with PCCB. The car will spend most of its tenure with me at the track.

Most folks are recommending swapping the rotors for steel. The obvious issue for me is rotor replacement cost.

I would like to keep the weight savings of the rotors if there was a more cost effective replacement.

My questions are:

How many track days are you guys getting out of PCCB rotors?
Is there a more cost effective alternative to the oem replacements?
If you have swapped, what's the best setup?

Any other thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:36 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Please respect everyone by searching first. This topic has been covered ad nauseum here--from weight savings (search PCCB weight) to replacement options (PCCB replacement) to service conditions (f*ck it's a sticky up top!!!!).

Name:  not-again-cat.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  46.6 KB
Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by forhamilton
I bought a 10 gt3 rs with PCCB. The car will spend most of its tenure with me at the track.

Most folks are recommending swapping the rotors for steel. The obvious issue for me is rotor replacement cost.

I would like to keep the weight savings of the rotors if there was a more cost effective replacement.

My questions are:

How many track days are you guys getting out of PCCB rotors?
Is there a more cost effective alternative to the oem replacements?
If you have swapped, what's the best setup?

Any other thoughts or comments are appreciated.
relative to their replacement cost, your ceramic rotors aren't worth much. you could use them up then switch to PFC slotted steel rotors for the front and Turbo OEM rotors for the rear.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Please respect everyone by searching first. This topic has been covered ad nauseum here--from weight savings (search PCCB weight) to replacement options (PCCB
replacement) to service conditions (f*ck it's a sticky up top!!!!).

Attachment 630533
LOL
Old 05-06-2012, 10:10 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I did. The sticky link does not work for me. It says I'm not allowed access.

I also searched at length. I'm not asking about weight savings. In my searches I did not find the answers to my questions below.

In one of the previous threads, someone mentioned that a couple of manufacturers were working on more cost effective ceramic replacements. Has anyone found one? If yes, how do they perform and cost?

I also would like to know from the ceramic guys how many track days they are getting. I found a couple thread where some guys thought ceramics last between 2 and 4 times as long.

I also found some of the replacement threads. Anyone here tried multiple of the steel rotor replacements? What are the most cost effective favorites?
Originally Posted by CRex
Please respect everyone by searching first. This topic has been covered ad nauseum here--from weight savings (search PCCB weight) to replacement options (PCCB replacement) to service conditions (f*ck it's a sticky up top!!!!).

Attachment 630533
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Looking up the pfc rotors now.
Originally Posted by paver
relative to their replacement cost, your ceramic rotors aren't worth much. you could use them up then switch to PFC slotted steel rotors for the front and Turbo OEM rotors for the rear.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,596 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by forhamilton
Thanks. I did. The sticky link does not work for me. It says I'm not allowed access.

I also searched at length. I'm not asking about weight savings. In my searches I did not find the answers to my questions below.

In one of the previous threads, someone mentioned that a couple of manufacturers were working on more cost effective ceramic replacements. Has anyone found one? If yes, how do they perform and cost?

I also would like to know from the ceramic guys how many track days they are getting. I found a couple thread where some guys thought ceramics last between 2 and 4 times as long.

I also found some of the replacement threads. Anyone here tried multiple of the steel rotor replacements? What are the most cost effective favorites?
cheapest is probably the OEM steels, it is alleged that finally the 997.2 PCCB/steel cars are interchangeable f&r...
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

they are if you have to replace them with PCCB!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:06 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

do people really do that?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

do people really do that?
I would! I live in a parallel universe where I have not experienced any problems with 2 PCCB equipped cars, and I happen to like the benefits that the technology offers over spinning rust...
Old 05-07-2012, 01:20 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Larry, PM sent
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

PM sent also. A close friend here in CC TX said that he has had great luck on his GT3.

I am a bit harsh on brakes and haven't had too many off track excursions.

Feel as though I'm rolling the dice if I don't swap. My fat **** could use the weight savings though. LOL
Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Use them until they are done...if you do DE events you may get 3 years out of them unless you are a track rat....then depending on your budget you could move to steel or for 30k consider Movit.

Quick Reply: Another PCCB thread - help