Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Centerlock failure at Nur

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 AM
YearOne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same corner Stephen Bellof crashed his 956 at....
Old 05-04-2012, 08:31 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i know reter and izzone have CL mastered while drinking beer. but CL is such a POS on the street cars. i just greased the nuts the other day. what a fk'g mess. the CL is a lot worse then PDK or pASM or PSD or TC.... i'll even take the wart and add 100 lbs to ditch the CL.

those who think they can change these CL fast enough really haven't changed enough tires/wheels. try flipping through 3 sets of tires in one day by yourself on track while running double sessions with brakes glowing red in bright day light.

and worst yet, i had my wife come out to step on the brake pedal for me so i can put the nuts back on. she goes... "why does the car only have 1000 miles? didn' tyou have the car since 2010....?".....

that was close.... "the odometer broke, you know how those freaking german cars are... that's why i buy you honda."

oh, yes, i have the tools to get them on and off and i can do that pretty fast. but it's still a chore. reter, feel free to fly out here and be my tire man.
I'd get rid of it. Sell it to some fool who does not know any better.
1000 miles to get coffee, what a waste. I'll come over and well practice wheel changes. If you don't pass the test drunk I'm taking the car.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:54 AM
oebb
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Here's one reference, or email the service manager at your dealer.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...read-this.html

ps. Your car warranty is void.
No biggie, it's out of warranty anyway.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:09 AM
oebb
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Here's one reference, or email the service manager at your dealer.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...read-this.html

ps. Your car warranty is void.
From that thread:

Originally Posted by thusly
Clarification to all (due to my poor memory): the wheel pins were damaged when the wheels were secured and then torqued without jacking the car up. That process loaded up the spindle and ended up breaking the drive pins.

The way we do it in the cups (which would likely work for the street vehicles) is to snug down the wheels in the air, and then do final torque on the ground. If one tried to torque the wheels in the air, there is the possibility of bending or tweaking suspension arms.

Sorry to all for using my memory.......
Just called my mechanic and he agrees with this statement as well.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,610 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i know reter and izzone have CL mastered while drinking beer. but CL is such a POS on the street cars. i just greased the nuts the other day. what a fk'g mess. the CL is a lot worse then PDK or pASM or PSD or TC.... i'll even take the wart and add 100 lbs to ditch the CL.

those who think they can change these CL fast enough really haven't changed enough tires/wheels. try flipping through 3 sets of tires in one day by yourself on track while running double sessions with brakes glowing red in bright day light.

and worst yet, i had my wife come out to step on the brake pedal for me so i can put the nuts back on. she goes... "why does the car only have 1000 miles? didn' tyou have the car since 2010....?".....

that was close.... "the odometer broke, you know how those freaking german cars are... that's why i buy you honda."

oh, yes, i have the tools to get them on and off and i can do that pretty fast. but it's still a chore. reter, feel free to fly out here and be my tire man.
Mooty, mooty, mooty such perversion!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDonut
Carrera GT, how do you position the clamp spreader? I'm slow and I'm missing how you use this as a brake depressor. Thanks!
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ng-wheels.html
Old 05-06-2012, 06:49 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't think that is a good idea. I have been having my wife come out and hold the pedal for me so she brings me a heineken (heine) for one side and then has to come back and bring me another heine to do the other side. Gets me 2 more beers into the process. With that tool I would have to go get my own beer in the house and my wife would not feel sorry for me.

Probably a good idea for the track though.

Quick Reply: Centerlock failure at Nur