Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT: C63 Black Series for sale at close to RS 4.0 prices

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

I would buy a brand New C63 BS rather than the 991 S any day.

And if you go off retail price, you still would get change out of buying the Merc.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the issue with this car is that it's probably not really worth MSRP. the guy seeking $50k over will obviously quickly modify his thinking. those who think that just because it was a limited run, it is worth a hefty premium know just enough about cars to be dangerous. silly. the regular C63 is a nice car, for sure. but even then, at $70k, the C63 is at the top of the market. It's worth $70k, but not a penny more. add the BS package and maybe the car is worth $85k of real money. more than that puts it in a price range that includes all sorts of 911's, including lightly used GT3's and turbos. it's just not as good of a car as a 911. since they only made a few hundred, Merc can get away with it. if they made any more than 500, the price would have to be slashed by $30k. it's rare because it's not desirable. it's a souped-up C class, period. they are only sending 100 to the states because they can't sell more than that!

all that said, i love it. very cool car that looks and sounds delicious. i drove an E55 wagon for 4 years and loved it. hope to get another. but with the C coupe, it's just so difficult to beat a 911 for the money, especially a regular GT3.

the other problem is that the Merc has to be better than what's available in that class of car- even if it's competitor is not brand new. the 997.2 GT3 is available in new condition for around $100k. the GT3RS is $125k. The C63BS is also $125k. i made this decision 2 months ago, and looked very seriously at the C63BS, and chose the GT3. saved $20K and got an incredible, and proven machine. i was in the market for a driving and ownership experience. i'd bet the mercedes experience is great, but not better than what i get in the GT3, and certainly not worth $125k. again, i'm a huge fan of pre-owned AMG's! new one's, not so much.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Traffic53
the issue with this car is that it's probably not really worth MSRP. the guy seeking $50k over will obviously quickly modify his thinking. those who think that just because it was a limited run, it is worth a hefty premium know just enough about cars to be dangerous. silly. the regular C63 is a nice car, for sure. but even then, at $70k, the C63 is at the top of the market. It's worth $70k, but not a penny more. add the BS package and maybe the car is worth $85k of real money. more than that puts it in a price range that includes all sorts of 911's, including lightly used GT3's and turbos. it's just not as good of a car as a 911. since they only made a few hundred, Merc can get away with it. if they made any more than 500, the price would have to be slashed by $30k. it's rare because it's not desirable. it's a souped-up C class, period. they are only sending 100 to the states because they can't sell more than that!

all that said, i love it. very cool car that looks and sounds delicious. i drove an E55 wagon for 4 years and loved it. hope to get another. but with the C coupe, it's just so difficult to beat a 911 for the money, especially a regular GT3.

the other problem is that the Merc has to be better than what's available in that class of car- even if it's competitor is not brand new. the 997.2 GT3 is available in new condition for around $100k. the GT3RS is $125k. The C63BS is also $125k. i made this decision 2 months ago, and looked very seriously at the C63BS, and chose the GT3. saved $20K and got an incredible, and proven machine. i was in the market for a driving and ownership experience. i'd bet the mercedes experience is great, but not better than what i get in the GT3, and certainly not worth $125k. again, i'm a huge fan of pre-owned AMG's! new one's, not so much.
I'm with you.

It costs a lot of money to turn a regular car into a sports car. More money than it is starting with a dedicated sports car design...all that carbon and reinforcing must've been pricey. It's still badass, but give me even a 997.1 GT3 over that car.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Traffic53

Good points. I like AMGs and drive an older one as a DD. The C63BS (and 997GT3) is a consideration for a DD in the future after it is depreciated a bit. For the track, I prefer a fullly setup race car anyway.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaudio
For the track, I prefer a fullly setup race car anyway.
right?

it's a weird car. really niche. fantastic car, but like a classic, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. can't imagine that anyone looking for value would possibly consider it when comparing it to others in that class and price range.

Quick Reply: OT: C63 Black Series for sale at close to RS 4.0 prices