997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PBOC Sebring Springfest May 19 & 20

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012 | 12:36 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Pressure is getting to Randy. Doesn't have Peter as a rabbit anymore.

You will be my bitch at SS. I will be Clark's bitch. Mother nature sucks....
Old 05-13-2012 | 04:37 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is going to be very hot next week, so please for our safety, list the GT3 running in SuperSolo that have not done the coolant fittings fix, and are running slippery anti-freeze.

Joanne was super nice to place us in the same garage area:

G15: mdrums
G15: Eddie
G17: Eric
G18: GT3DE
G19: Sly
G20: Boxzilla
G21: DeputyDog
G24: Izzone
G25: Aging slow Italian hardware about to be replaced by British supremacy
Old 05-13-2012 | 04:43 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by The Greek

Don't worry I'll let Randy park on my bumper.
Old 05-13-2012 | 04:56 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Rad, so you are getting he mclaren
Old 05-13-2012 | 05:44 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Rad, so you are getting he mclaren
Very, very likely. The car is priced just right.

I'm doing some research on design, quality and cost of consumables. Everything is coming up a lot better than the Scuderia.

However, the GT2 RS thing is extremely tempting, and I can give it a shot at the SCCA Solo Nationals for an attempt to a trophy in class Super Street Prepared.

Fiat would have to go.
Old 05-13-2012 | 05:47 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Very, very likely. The car is priced just right.

I'm doing some research on design, quality and cost of consumables. Everything is coming up a lot better than the Scuderia.

However, the GT2 RS thing is extremely tempting, and I can give it a shot at the SCCA Solo Nationals for an attempt to a trophy in class Super Street Prepared.

Fiat would have to go.
Are you really comfortable buying the first year of a British sports car?
Old 05-13-2012 | 06:11 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
It is going to be very hot next week, so please for our safety, list the GT3 running in SuperSolo that have not done the coolant fittings fix, and are running slippery anti-freeze.

Joanne was super nice to place us in the same garage area:

G15: mdrums
G15: Eddie
G17: Eric
G18: GT3DE
G19: Sly
G20: Boxzilla
G21: DeputyDog
G24: Izzone
G25: Aging slow Italian hardware about to be replaced by British supremacy
no fix, antifreeze for me
Old 05-13-2012 | 06:11 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by The Greek

I dont need peter, game on bitch
Old 05-13-2012 | 06:12 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

GO Rad !
Old 05-13-2012 | 06:17 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Rad,

That sounds awesome. Never thought you would consider that car....
Old 05-13-2012 | 06:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Hey, SuperSolo folks, a question:

As part of my contract with PBOC, we are discussing rolling out a class on data analysis, using either what you already have or the SmartyCams that Henry of ColourTech South normally rents out. For logistics reasons, we can't do this class at Sebring next weekend, so we are considering trying it for the first time at Homestead in June, and if well received, rolling it out for all the rest of the PBOC events. The premise is two-fold: (a) learning how to use data to help you driver faster & better, from the point of view of how a coach would use data to help you, and (b) learning to simplify data to make it more useful/avoiding the paralysis by analysis of overwhelming data points where most folks end up using their data system as a glorified lap timer.

The genesis of this is from a brief article I wrote in January: I coach a lot of drivers. A majority are racers (from rookies to very experienced) or folks actively preparing themselves to race. The rest are experienced track day instructors and drivers looking to improve their skills.

In all cases, using a basic data acquisition system can be a real productivity tool, and also especially a tool for the client to use for continued learning and improvement on their own, when I am not in their car. It is very easy to get overwhelmed by data acquisition, and succumb to paralysis by analysis, which frustration usually presages the data system being only used as a glorified expensive lap timer. However, by being selective about what data to use and what data may be a lesser priority, I am able to help the client rapidly improve without wasting a lot of time or energy.

What I would like to do is share some of the things I look for in clients’ data when I coach, and why, as well as how I use this data to make them faster, safer, more consistent drivers.

Would this be useful? Would you spend 30-60 mins of your time at these events in such a class?
Old 05-13-2012 | 06:43 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Are you really comfortable buying the first year of a British sports car?
Not at all, my current main area of concern is the gearbox. The engine is a spin-off from the R390 LeMans car, but Ricardo built the DCT during a short development window.

Nobody is racing on the Ricardo DCT tranny. The MP4-12C GT3 is using a single-clutch sequential, and a de-tuned engine that should have better longevity than the street engine. Although engine is not an area of concern, as it was born as a race unit and adapted for a street car.

British reliability is a big question mark

Drexler is currently working on a Limited Slip, and that only says that the track version of the MP4-12C rumored to be out in 2014 might get the locking diff.

Another area of concern is depreciation, British cars have horrible resale, but the same was true for Audi, and the R8 has defeated the typical Audi depreciation.

Lot of homework to do, the GT2 RS is a more logical choice, but then the 997 GT2 is even more logical (adding proper mods) than a GT2 RS, and I already passed on the 7GT2 and chose the Scuderia instead, so I can hardly replace the Scuderia with a 7GT2.
Old 05-13-2012 | 06:47 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Rad, consumable aside, assuming the car is 100% track capable, depreciation would be a big deal in my opinion.
GT2 vs GT2RS .. hum - probably the GT2 for low low 100s, and spend another 20K to make it right. Really simple to achieve.
Old 05-13-2012 | 06:48 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

As part of my contract with PBOC, we are discussing rolling out a class on data analysis, using either what you already have or the SmartyCams that Henry of ColourTech South normally rents out. For logistics reasons, we can't do this class at Sebring next weekend, so we are considering trying it for the first time at Homestead in June, and if well received, rolling it out for all the rest of the PBOC events. The premise is two-fold: (a) learning how to use data to help you driver faster & better, from the point of view of how a coach would use data to help you, and (b) learning to simplify data to make it more useful/avoiding the paralysis by analysis of overwhelming data points where most folks end up using their data system as a glorified lap timer.

The genesis of this is from a brief article I wrote in January: I coach a lot of drivers. A majority are racers (from rookies to very experienced) or folks actively preparing themselves to race. The rest are experienced track day instructors and drivers looking to improve their skills.

In all cases, using a basic data acquisition system can be a real productivity tool, and also especially a tool for the client to use for continued learning and improvement on their own, when I am not in their car. It is very easy to get overwhelmed by data acquisition, and succumb to paralysis by analysis, which frustration usually presages the data system being only used as a glorified expensive lap timer. However, by being selective about what data to use and what data may be a lesser priority, I am able to help the client rapidly improve without wasting a lot of time or energy.

What I would like to do is share some of the things I look for in clients’ data when I coach, and why, as well as how I use this data to make them faster, safer, more consistent drivers.

Would this be useful? Would you spend 30-60 mins of your time at these events in such a class?
30 min probably.... 60 min, not so much I'm ADD, so can't focus for so long, at least not outside the car
Old 05-13-2012 | 06:49 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm all in for this, it is extremely valuable, and I was not planning on running Homestead, but if this class is a Go, I will run Homestead.

I got the AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam from Peter Krause, and the hardware has been phenomenal.

However, RaceStudio 2 is overwhelming, there is so much data, that a lot of training is needed to take advantage of the equipment. I have done plenty of analysis using my last 2 days at Sebring, and I have found more driving inconsistencies than the info I get from my Traqmate.

The AiM made me quit the Traqmate, but data analysis enter a more complex and detailed territory.

Quick Reply: PBOC Sebring Springfest May 19 & 20