Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Microphone placement tips to avoid wind noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM
Roland has a highly engineered solution. Sounds good: http://vimeo.com/59364660

Requires some serious work: http://www.digitalmee.net/2013/01/21...-installation/
Actually, if you read the link, they recommend installing exactly where I clip my $11 microphone connected to the external mic port on my gopro: Behind the license plate frame.

Skip to 0:58 to hear what it sounds like.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Actually, if you read the link, they recommend installing exactly where I clip my $11 microphone connected to the external mic port on my gopro: Behind the license plate frame.
But how do you route through the car?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Laertes
I've been playing around with my new Race-Keeper set up (great product, btw) and need some advice for the best spot to place the microphone. The RK has an external mic, and I've got the "dead kitten" (sorry) cover for it, but I'm still getting a huge amount of wind noise. I've tried placing it between the rear seats (I'm in a C2S so I have seats back there) but that, not surprisingly, didn't work at all as it was directly in the airflow through the windows (DE rules-- driver and passenger window open). I then mounted it behind the lip of driver's side rear seat on the rear package shelf, thinking it would be shielded, but this was only marginally better.

Any of you with similar systems found an ideal spot for interior mic placement to maximize exhaust and engine noise and minimize the wind?
I had the same problem and I bought the dead kitty and then put the mic under the dash in front of the center console. More or less behind the radio.

Problem solved.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM
But how do you route through the car?
I just use an extension cord and run through the panel lines. I've run cord from the front bumper, through the passenger cabin, out the back window, through the trunk and clip under the license plate. Finally, some simple electrical tape if needed to secure the lines to the outside of the car. Very simple to put on and remove when you're done. Behind the license plate really is the best spot to pick up any good noise. You can hear the exhaust and the tires very well. My friends have tried dead kitty. It still doesn't work better than simply putting the mic behind the license plate. Everything else pales in comparison.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:35 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I did read it and, in fact, thought of your vid as I had seen it earlier in my search for mic placement options. I ran a mic similar to yours in the same area on my Carrera but having moved into a Mezger engine'd car I'm trying to capture the best mix of exhaust AND intake sound. The intake noise is so special. Ultimately, I'm trying to recreate what my ears hear but with substantially less noise (wind, mechanical chatter, EMF interference) via a cheap mic, a not-designed-for-high-speeds wind cover and a little GoPro.

I am certain I am insane.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Here's one of my setups on the spyder:

Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Originally Posted by stujelly
I had the same problem and I bought the dead kitty and then put the mic under the dash in front of the center console. More or less behind the radio.

Problem solved.
I'm thinking of revisiting this idea, too. When I tested this before it was a bit too isolated and lost some of the edge that one gets when placing the mic like Orthojoe. I'm fine with what I've got now but just pulling ideas from RL'ers.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by medpilot105
I'm trying to capture the best mix of exhaust AND intake sound. The intake noise is so special. Ultimately, I'm trying to recreate what my ears hear but with substantially less noise (wind, mechanical chatter, EMF interference) via a cheap mic, a not-designed-for-high-speeds wind cover and a little GoPro.
Intake sound is going to be tougher. The problem is that intake sound is more wind. I tried to pickup the intake sound on my old Evo because the induction sound a turbo makes is pretty cool. Unfortunately all you get is a whole bunch of wind noise from the turbo sucking in all the air. Do the license plate mic. You won't regret it.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
put the microphone UNDER the seat. You'll get full engine sound and no wind noise.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jum4T8gw1M
This is great. What microphone are you using?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by medpilot105
I'm thinking of revisiting this idea, too. When I tested this before it was a bit too isolated and lost some of the edge that one gets when placing the mic like Orthojoe. I'm fine with what I've got now but just pulling ideas from RL'ers.
Oh ya, buy the low gain microphone. That almost fixes it on its own.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:34 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Good point, Stu. I've got a couple different choices at the house; I'll try out the low gain.

Quick Reply: Microphone placement tips to avoid wind noise?