Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Flat tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Fight Back
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flat tires?

I have a 2005 S that is new to me. Woke up to my first flat this morning of course it was only then did i realize that this car does not have a spare tire. Nor does it even have a jack in the tool kit, only a sealant and cigarette slot compressor. Other then a tow, what's the protocol most of you have been using when encountering a flat? I'd rather not fill my expensive tire with a bunch of gunk if it's repairable. Are there kits that anyone might suggest and/or spares that one can haul with these cars so I'm not stranded again next time?

Car is still sitting on it's flat. Fortunately I can see the nail and will try to extract it this time and put a plug in the tire so I can get it to a service shop and have it properly patched.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:19 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a floor jack, jack up the car, pull the wheel and take it over in another car to get it repaired/replaced. Don't use the fix a flat unless it is an emergency as it ruins your tire pressure sensors and they are expensive to replace. I did have a flat (puncture) on my GT3 and used Porsche customer care to have it flat bed towed to the dealer to have the tire replaced.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 04-24-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Fight Back
Track Day

Thanks for the tip. That was option #2 which may now have been elevated to option #1. Sadly this makes me think twice about taking this car on long distance runs.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove my 997 TT from NY to CA, and was not about to get stuck in the middle of nowhere without a way to fix a flat. I carry a jack with me at all times, fits nicely in the front boot. I also carry a motorcycle tire plug kit, and hand-operated bicycle pump. Unless the tire is ripped, I should be OK. A flat from a nail is definitely repairable with this setup out on the road.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:20 AM
Fight Back
Track Day

One other question. Is there a proper jack location to jack these cars up. I do not see a designated location for a jack underneath.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fight Back
One other question. Is there a proper jack location to jack these cars up. I do not see a designated location for a jack underneath.
There is.....Best to consult your manual
Old 04-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Fight Back
Track Day

Originally Posted by malmasri
There is.....Best to consult your manual
Thanks pal...If i wanted to consult my manual I would have done so and not posted here. Experience supersedes anything you'll find in manual...

...I guess this wouldn't be a proper message board without a "consult your manual nerd."

Last edited by Fight Back; 04-23-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:46 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 4 jack pads under the car, 2 on each side inside the wheelbase near the wheels. They are easy to see and perfectly sized for a small aluminum race jack. Use the one near the rear wheels when you want to jack up a whole side.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 PM
ac27
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your car is in need of assistance you can always call Porsche's 24 hour pit crew (1 800 Porsche). However, you may still have to be covered by warrantee... I'm not positive.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks pal...If i wanted to consult my manual I would have done so and not posted here. Experience supersedes anything you'll find in manual...

...I guess this wouldn't be a proper message board without a "consult your manual nerd."
I can assure you that regularly there are no nerds on this forum...every once in a while one pops in with a simple enough question that can be answered by doing some homework...
Should you elect to follow the topics posted here, you will realize that almost all are very technical, well researched,and done with a great deal of care, you will also get a great deal of information from a great group of GT drivers that I am proudly one of...No nerds guaranteed.
I was only pointing the manual as your best reference for your Carrera which has its own forum.

Last edited by malmasri; 04-25-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: ..

Quick Reply: Flat tires?