Originally Posted by DRPM
what about center lock wheels, in or out for the 991 GT3
in according to the photos above!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:20 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i love stick, but to say there's no PDK i think is foolish. manual is old. M cars and F cars are all there already....

and if it's 7 speed, i wont do manual. why not just drive a semi truck with 18 speed. who in their right mind would drive a 7 speed manual? i much rather just play with my own stick.
Moot, you gotta try it. Drives just like the six-speed until you want seventh...you can't accidentally access seventh — and seventh is so nice on the way to TH that you'll wonder why they didn't offer it on the 997...

Not sure I am in my right mind, but a manual is the only way I would order a 991. Car needs all the mechanical interaction it can get. Of course, if all I cared about was going as fast as possible on track, then maybe PDK...but I am slow anyway.

pete
Old 04-23-2012, 01:54 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i really wonder now - is it really true what people speak of now - that an upcoming GT3 will in fact be same 991S car with a x51-like powerkit ? but de-facto it is going to be same 991S street car, tub, electronics and all?

it is extremely sad if it indeed going to be this way and gt3 will no longer have any relation to cup cars and will not be able to accept motorsports parts 'as is'. that sucks.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Those of us who drive prefer single clutch in line systems to the double clutch bastardisations - wasteful weight and engineering. I drive the car I don't need the gearbox to decide what gear I am going to change into next!

PAG rides on the back of VAG DK developments. Like Ferdinand's doktorate the P in PDK is honorary.

R+C
Amen Nordschleife!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Moot, you gotta try it. Drives just like the six-speed until you want seventh...you can't accidentally access seventh — and seventh is so nice on the way to TH that you'll wonder why they didn't offer it on the 997...

Not sure I am in my right mind, but a manual is the only way I would order a 991. Car needs all the mechanical interaction it can get. Of course, if all I cared about was going as fast as possible on track, then maybe PDK...but I am slow anyway.

pete
you are young buck. i am over the hill now.
i need auto box.
in fact i haven't bought a 7 cup b/c it still has clutch pedal. i am waiting for the ones with two pedal and two pedal.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:49 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i really wonder now - is it really true what people speak of now - that an upcoming GT3 will in fact be same 991S car with a x51-like powerkit ? but de-facto it is going to be same 991S street car, tub, electronics and all?

it is extremely sad if it indeed going to be this way and gt3 will no longer have any relation to cup cars and will not be able to accept motorsports parts 'as is'. that sucks.
That is nothing more than a GTS...like I have and trust me the GTS is not even close to real GT3 car.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:55 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Those of us who drive prefer single clutch in line systems to the double clutch bastardisations - wasteful weight and engineering. I drive the car I don't need the gearbox to decide what gear I am going to change into next!

Originally Posted by utkinpol

Agree, but the engine better be way different. Homologation rules means the cup must be based on the road car, engine and all. This motor should be ground breaking. Or a flat 8.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Agree, but the engine better be way different. Homologation rules means the cup must be based on the road car, engine and all. This motor should be ground breaking. Or a flat 8.
Excellent point. Whatever the new GT3 is, it will be the basis of what Porsche will be racing for the next several years, so unless they're giving up on GT3 for the future it seems unlikely it will be just a warmed over 991S. Was at the Racer's Group a couple of months ago for a PCA tech session and was talking with Kevin Buckler. They had the last brand new 997 Cup car that they would be getting on the floor. He expects the 991 Cup variant to be in the pipeline in the fairly near future and he's looking forward to it.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Has anyone driven a manual 991? I did last Thursday and wasn't impressed. I have driven both the PDK and manual 991's now and I have to say that if they are representative of the GT3 transmission choices, the PDK will be a better choice.

It was the weirdest manual I think I have ever driven. In every manual I have ever driven, be it a truck or a 69 bug or a 4.0rs, you can feel the cog engagement though the stick. In the 991, there is zero feel in the manual. It felt so disconnected through the gear stick, I would describe it best as a gear selector switch, not a gear stick.

I am also confident some of the PDK electronics are still there because no matter if I was shifting up or down, he car seemed to know and it seemed to be always the perfect gear to be in. After 40 minutes of driving it, it never had a bad shift and 'welcomed' each gear, almost like I didn't really select it.

The only thing I did like was the new lower seating position and the higher center console made the relationship between the steering wheel and gear shift significantly better, with a small reach off the wheel to the stick.

I think my next GT3 will be PDK.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:04 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you shouldn't be thinking about a 'next gt3'.
it will not be better than a 4.0, or the 6.2
Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
Has anyone driven a manual 991? I did last Thursday and wasn't impressed. I have driven both the PDK and manual 991's now and I have to say that if they are representative of the GT3 transmission choices, the PDK will be a better choice.

It was the weirdest manual I think I have ever driven. In every manual I have ever driven, be it a truck or a 69 bug or a 4.0rs, you can feel the cog engagement though the stick. In the 991, there is zero feel in the manual. It felt so disconnected through the gear stick, I would describe it best as a gear selector switch, not a gear stick.

I am also confident some of the PDK electronics are still there because no matter if I was shifting up or down, he car seemed to know and it seemed to be always the perfect gear to be in. After 40 minutes of driving it, it never had a bad shift and 'welcomed' each gear, almost like I didn't really select it.

The only thing I did like was the new lower seating position and the higher center console made the relationship between the steering wheel and gear shift significantly better, with a small reach off the wheel to the stick.

Always interesting to hear other takes/opinions, but I don't get this.

I drove a 991S manual extensively last year and found it to be just fine, and far more interesting and engaging than PDK. While the latter has gotten much better with the 991 evolution, PDK still can't match a good driver for ultimate smoothness in all situations —*because it can't be predictive. On track, if lap times in a car I am not going to keep are all that matters, I'd probably take PDK too. The ability to shift on throttle alone makes the extra weight worth carrying.

As for shifter "feel," if I went straight from a GT3/RS to the 991 stick, I could see where it would feel "lifeless" or too light, but one might say the same thing about a 987 or non-GT 997. I tend to view the GT3/RS shifter as unnecessarily heavy, and my discussions with one very highly placed engineer within the 997 and 991 program indicated that this is a matter of argument within Weissach, where some prefer the high-effort, muscle-car shifter in the 997s while others hate them, feeling a Porsche's shifter should be light. I wouldn't say I hate the high-effort shifters, but I don't see the need. Spyder shifter is light, and wonderful. But you can't shove it around.

Moving from a Boxster or Cayman or Carrera shifter to the 991 shifter didn't bother me a bit — works at least as nicely. Of course, none of them are as good as an S2000....and all of them are light years ahead of a 901.

Fully agree on new shifter placement. As in CGT, higher/closer to the wheel is better.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:56 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller

The manual might not be a conventional one, but on the other hand, it's not a drive by wire gearbox yet.
You do select gears mechanically with the help of two cable mechanisms.

I've not tested it, but what you describe could be ascribed to the internal gearshift convertor.

This convertor (Porsche calls it Mecosa) takes the random arrangement of gears in the PDK and gives you a conventional 'H' shift pattern.

You are somewhat right on the presence of electronics.
For example, it features an electromechanical locking function with a sensor that picks up which gate has been selected, activating locking cams on the actuator shaft that prevent multiple gears being engaged at the same time.

I am curious if this new PDK/manual hybrid gearbox can be used successfully in the coming GT street cars. (I am not sure if they are going to offer one to begin with)
I guess it will be, with a bigger cooling system, steel rings, etc.

What I know, is that we will never know how it would do in a real race as Porsche will never race a manual transmission again..

Will they do it with a PDK version?
I will never buy one with it, but I hope they do.. at least if they do race one and then pass its version on the street cars , it will probably be a damn good (see reliable) gearbox.

Originally Posted by wanna911

Talking about racing, they should, they must race a new motor soon!
One that they will also use as a base for the street GT series.
Can they make the current 997.2 / 991 motor compatible with racing?
A 911 family with one motor design is progress..
Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Flat 8 - hmmmm seeing as they've reached the displacement limit (4.0) for this current engine block, moving to a bigger block makes sense.

How much weight would adding the 2 extra cylinders add? Would it be based on the old 908 series? - probably not since it was only 2 valves/cylinder.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
you shouldn't be thinking about a 'next gt3'.
it will not be better than a 4.0, or the 6.2
+1 mate!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthofrancis
Flat 8 - hmmmm seeing as they've reached the displacement limit (4.0) for this current engine block, moving to a bigger block makes sense.

How much weight would adding the 2 extra cylinders add? Would it be based on the old 908 series? - probably not since it was only 2 valves/cylinder.
its been stated elsewhere that the 9A1 design is supposed to be "modular" i.e that it can be "easily" extended from 6-8 ... dont know how much it would weigh incrementally ... but is an 8 cyl 991 still a 911 ... does that matter ????

Quick Reply: Spy Shots of the 991 GT3