Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS.2 Rear Window Blow Out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Ive seen it happen on cup cars alot.. But not on a street car!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TTurbine
No Porsche refused
Well, it's certainly no wonder. You accelerated; hard; and had your windows open, ALL AT THE SAME TIME! Of course there's no warranty - you're lucky to be alive.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy a standard 997 rear glass window. The weight savings on this rear window (plexi vs. glass) is insignificant, a lighter battery saves way more weight, and you will have clear visibility to the rear end.

I don't like my fiat Lexan window, visibility is horrible.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
Well, it's certainly no wonder. You accelerated; hard; and had your windows open, ALL AT THE SAME TIME! Of course there's no warranty - you're lucky to be alive.
Well that is poor form on Porsche's part... Bet it doesn't say in the manual that you must keep your windows wound up when "accelerating hard" because the ****ty rear windscreen may blow out!!! Are these guys suppose to mind read and take precautionary action? If it isn't up to the task, they shouldn't fit it and they should look to save the measely 3kg somewhere else!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:16 AM
pmpsch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting to note that both occurrences in the thread took place in the GCC.
Could this be linked to GCC specs? (which are very close to european specs)
or to the GCC weather eventually weakening the rubber/glue?
Are you guys storing your cars in a dehumidified garage?

Porsche should replace in such cases
Old 04-21-2012, 12:24 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

How fast were you going?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:47 AM
GuyR
Racer

Stupid quesion, but why did you have the window open - does the car not have a/c?

I had plexi windows in my GT2 and never had an issue even 200mph+, but i never opened windows in any car I owned at higher speeds.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:14 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
FYI it blew out at aorund 120 kmh which is within the speed limit, Porsche's engineering fault, Not my fault my freind , many people track their cars here with windows open.

And yes i am lucky to be alive after numerous trackdays home and blasting through the autobahn last year , glad it didnt blew the roof or coolant hose back then..

Last edited by TTurbine; 04-21-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:23 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyR
Stupid quesion, but why did you have the window open - does the car not have a/c?

I had plexi windows in my GT2 and never had an issue even 200mph+, but i never opened windows in any car I owned at higher speeds.
Offcourse it's a big no to open a window on any car at high speeds especially , even though window might not blow out , the rubber air sealents around the window will get damaged and let air in eventually.

But that does not mean that if you open a window at 120kmh the window will blow out...
Old 04-21-2012, 07:26 AM
1198r
Pro

FYI it blew out at aorund 120 kmh which is within the speed limit, Porsche's engineering fault, Not my fault my freind , many people track their cars here with windows open.

And yes i am lucky to be alive after numerous trackdays home and blasting through the autobahn last year , glad it didnt blew the roof back then..
I was just about to reply to this post. I am not sure if it was a serious coment or not, but to clarify, I was driving from my golf club link road onto the motorway and accelerated to 100kmh - the speed limit on this road (in Dubai you respect the limits as an expat). I have done this many times and have driven my car for 20 months (20,000km) driving with the windows open and its never been a problem.

For me its a serious issues as it could have caused a serious accident. If I was not meant to drive the car with windows open, Porsche should have told me so in the manual and given me a car where the windows could not be opened!!

I took to car to the service centre in Dubai today, and they were extremely helpful. They took the car off me immediately, have taken photos and will send to Germany. Rear window on order.

For the record, my rear screen has always "popped" whenever I have closed the door - which I explained to the dealer and on this forum before, where I have been told it's normal. We went and checked another RS and the rear screen was solid, never popped when opening/closing the doors and could not press the screen down from the outside. Like 911Slow said, the seals go, so maybe this is what happened. Whatever the case, I hope its looked into by the motherland.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:40 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee, C, this is something else! From your last post, I think what happened is the stress cycles created a crack line in the window and it eventually failed along this line, popping out as you were driving away. Must have made on hell of a noise!
Hope Nabooda takes care of it under warranty.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I wonder why they didn't add some type of venting to allow air to pass through when the windows are open.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,767 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r
Driving home today, accelerating hard with my windows open and suddenly the rear window blows out! On inspection, it looks like it was not the whole window. Seriously - tell me this is a one off?
Same thing Happend to me a month ago with the .2 3 with plexi rear window.. Same scenario..
Interesting that both are from Middle East region. I wonder if ambient temps and/or humidity are messing with the adhesive.....or maybe Porsche was trying to use up the leftover defective coolant fitting adhesive...
Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Interesting that both are from Middle East region. I wonder if ambient temps and/or humidity are messing with the adhesive.....or maybe Porsche was trying to use up the leftover defective coolant fitting adhesive...
Heat will likely be a major factor! Not too many other places in the world that have such high temps constantly like their region...
Old 04-22-2012, 02:03 AM
hattawi
AutoX

Good to Hear that no incidents happened. Good Luck and I'm sure it's gonna get replaced by the warranty. BTW, Maybe it's true that heat plays a factor here.

Quick Reply: RS.2 Rear Window Blow Out!