Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Last Recaro Seat Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Last Recaro Seat Installation Question

Ok, I may have just lied about this being my last question but I hope not....

Seat and harnesses are all installed and feel great. I do have the airbag light on and seatbelt chime going off but will go to the dealer this week to get them reset.

Here's my question/issue. The seat won't slide all the way back to the GMG bar. The sliders are coming to their stops 4"-5" before the back of my seat would come into contact with my harness bar of the roll bar. The current position will be comfortable for the track as I prefer to be a bit closer to the wheel, however, at 6'2", I'd like to be able to push back more while driving on the street. I'm not looking forward to making the 225 mile one-way drive to the track without straightening my legs a bit.

I have the Recaro sliders and brackets on the Profi SPG XL seats.

Is there a 'fix' or work-around for this? Is it a known issue?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

The Recaro sliders do not travel as far back as the OEM sliders. I would guess about 1.5" - 2" less travel to the rear. My seat will still travel back (close) to the RSS bar I have in my car. This picture is with seat all the way back.
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2012, 10:48 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Thanks. 2" more travel would be significant.

What's the advantage of Recaro sliders over OEM? If none, why wouldn't everyone use OEM in the first place? I bought the seat from a rennlist board member and it already had the Recaro brackets and sliders installed on it.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Go Oem slider- more seat travel. Advantage of Recaro slider sits lower. Mike
Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Please note that you must not use the generic Recaro sliders , when using the side mounts to secure your lap belts. They are not designed for it!

This comes from Recaro in Germany.

Porsche's (OEM) sliders for bucket seats (made by Recaro) are designed / tested for it.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:29 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Man, it seems I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. With current setup, and a helmet on, my head just barely clears the roof. If I go OEM I'll get more leg room but my head won't fit.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:03 PM
TJ Elliott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another idea

This may not be applicable to your situation; however, I thought I'd throw it out. When I installed Sparco seats, sliders and side plates I ran into an interference issue with the side plate bolt and the floor mount bolt which limited the rear travel of the seat. The two bolts wouldn't pass each other in the slider and limited the travel. Likely a rookie mistake but it wasn't immediately obvious to me what was going on. So I removed the seats and happened to looked down the slider rail with a flashlight and discovered the interference. I originally had the side plate to slider bolt going down into the slider with the nut on the bottom. Once I flipped the bolt over and installed it upward from the slider into the side plate with the bolt on top there was no more interference and the seat moved all the way back.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:33 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TJ Elliott
This may not be applicable to your situation; however, I thought I'd throw it out. When I installed Sparco seats, sliders and side plates I ran into an interference issue with the side plate bolt and the floor mount bolt which limited the rear travel of the seat. The two bolts wouldn't pass each other in the slider and limited the travel. Likely a rookie mistake but it wasn't immediately obvious to me what was going on. So I removed the seats and happened to looked down the slider rail with a flashlight and discovered the interference. I originally had the side plate to slider bolt going down into the slider with the nut on the bottom. Once I flipped the bolt over and installed it upward from the slider into the side plate with the bolt on top there was no more interference and the seat moved all the way back.
This is an excellent thought to look into. I'll probably live with it until after this weekend's event and then rip it all out and take a look.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:11 AM
MSRPorsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it helps, I'll drive the car for you this weeekend. As you know, i'm only 5'10" and probably won't have the head room problem. Hey, what are friends for? ;-)
Old 04-17-2012, 12:51 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove bottom seat cushions for track work - helmet may fit

That's what I do
Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MSRPorsche
If it helps, I'll drive the car for you this weeekend. As you know, i'm only 5'10" and probably won't have the head room problem. Hey, what are friends for? ;-)

Damn it, does this mean we can't be friends anymore?

Quick Reply: Last Recaro Seat Installation Question