Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What do the piston pucks do and can you run without them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Benefits: pucks don't fall out when changing pads (after the OE seals have crumbled).

Drawbacks: The brake piston cylinder walls in the caliper are no longer protected from road debris and you can expect to need to rebuild calipers much sooner without the seals there for protection. Winter driving/salted roads will kill the calipers in short order. For some it matters, for others not.

As always, no free lunch.

Photo:
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but where can you buy the puck retainer thingies and how much are they?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:33 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Don't think any of us runs them. Erik has brown calipers and 120+ track days. No caliper rebuild yet....

So pretty sure no problem.
+ caliper repaint and rebuild is not that much $$.
So the consensus on the rubber dust shields is not to worry about them? I put in new ones last fall and after 5 track days they are all cracked and sorry looking. I am assuming it's a waste to keep replacing them as I don't drive my car in the winter (and rarely in the rain). The only thing I'm concerned about is when you wash the car water will get around the pistons and cause rust, no?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:05 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 63 Posts

On a different note...

Who uses/doesn't use the caliper spring clip on the front. Someone posted here a while back that he doesn't use it (GT3DE maybe, don't remember?). Does it truly serves no purpose other than reducing rattle?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

It's pointless if you track it. It's only purpose is to keep squealing to a minimum on street.

Quick Reply: What do the piston pucks do and can you run without them?