Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

If you currently own a 4.0, is it really that much better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by excmag
...One taste of GT3 Cup was enough for me to understand why people move over to GT3 Cups (on a track, a Cup is muuuuuuch better than a GT3/RS), but one look at the associated costs and logistical hassles was enough for me to understand why they went back to street cars or racing Caymans or Spec 911s.

pete

Werd...

And a 4.0 actually fares quite well against both Z06 and ZR1, better than I thought it would...

Z06 was not stock

Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice vid's Pete.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 PM
jcastle
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worth every penny.

I am just amazed at how good this car is. I went from .1RS to 4.0. Wasn't expecting car to live up to the hype...boy was I wrong. Took her out to the MidOhio NASA HPDE this past weekend. Did not push very hard since car was just out of break-in period.

My thoughts:
- love the alcantera steering wheel. much improved over my .1 which had the full leather wheel.
- GT2 seats much better than sport adaptive for the track. also, very comfortable for long drives.
- exhaust note below 6k rpm is more mellow somehow. More bass...less treble and sport button gives even more low frequency rumble. Above 6k, this thing screams. The 4.0L noise is beautiful
- the added power(torque) is addicting
- love the gearing compared to the .1
- seems to soak up road imperfections MUCH better
- exhaust drones out the radio and makes bluetooth handsfree conversations difficult...next time, will get basic radio and save some weight.

most of these improvements were in the 3.8 as well, so moving up from that would be all for the engine and slight driving improvements.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 AM
gtdoggie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have said this in many other posts but have gone from 997.1 GT3 to 997.2 RS and now to 4.0 RS. I love these cars as many of us do and to me I sweated over whether the upgrade was worth it, but have absolutely no regrets. All these cars are great, but the 4.0 is something extremely perfectly special. The engine alone is that much better, with much more kick in the *** torque than the numbers would make you think. Every time I get on it I am amazed at how much quicker it feels than the 3.8 did. There are no flat spots, much more midrange punch and a better upper end howl. It also feels much more planted entering turns and actually feels smoother on the street. It's low production numbers along with it being the last and best of a great generation will keep it desirable to many over the years, even with the next probably excellent but different 991 GT3 on the horizon.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:07 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Slow motion shifting, and riding the 3.8 engine like a Diesel truck would put you 20 cars behind a 4.0RS, but that doesn't make the 4.0RS that much faster.

Redline in the 3.8RS is 8,500 rpm not 7,000 rpm. Slow shifting doesn't save clutch, it actually increases wear.

A 4.0RS doesn't put 20 cars on the back straight at RA over a 3.8RS, sloppy shifting, and mid range engine driving does.

4.0RS is strong, but it doesn't stand a chance against the 2010+ 997Turbo, Z06, ZR1, Nissan GTR on high speed acceleration.
20 Car lengths, and 430 Scuds. What exactly is the problem?
Click on the arrows to watch in full screen.
Enjoy!

Last edited by TurboS; 04-22-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Quick Reply: If you currently own a 4.0, is it really that much better?