Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pirelli Trofeo's - how are they?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Northshore04
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Pirelli Trofeo's - how are they?

It's time to get some new 19" track wheels for my '10 gt3 and I was wondering if anyone has tried the new Pirelli Trofeo's yet? If so, how are they as far as performance and durability are concerned?

If you like something better, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:59 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

potenza re11?
Old 04-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Pirelli Trofeo's get excellent reviews however they wear even faster than MPSC's.

The new Trofeo R's (http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca..._trofeo_r.html) are supposedly much better in terms of wear while giving little away in performance. Unfortunately, there are none in the country yet and won't be until at least mid-summer last I checked. I would caution that it appears some shops are trying to bait and switch by claiming they have these tires when in fact they don't. Caveat emptor.

Otherwise, a lot of people seem happy with the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport (http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca..._trofeo_r.html). They have twice the tread depth of MPSC's, which improves wear and wet weather performance. They give up some on dry grip but most that have used them on track seem pretty happy. Plus, they cost a lot less than MPSC's. I just mounted a set but haven't had a chance to try them firsthand yet....
Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Northshore04
Instructor

Thanks. I was thinking about both the RE11's and the Super Sports too. Might have to give one of them a shot. As far as the new compound Trofeo's are concerned, I thought I heard that GMG had them in already. Maybe I'm mistaken?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Rob in Potomac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Otherwise, a lot of people seem happy with the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport (http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca..._trofeo_r.html). They have twice the tread depth of MPSC's, which improves wear and wet weather performance. They give up some on dry grip but most that have used them on track seem pretty happy. Plus, they cost a lot less than MPSC's. I just mounted a set but haven't had a chance to try them firsthand yet....
Just purchased my GT3 997.2 and ran this weekend on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which seemed to be fine. Of course, I have no benchmark to test against as this was my first drive in the GT3. I am used to running on Toyo RA-888's on my other car, but the MPSS seemed to hold in the corners, squealed a lot more than I am used to, and certainly have much better wear than the RA-888's.

Rob in Potomac
Old 04-04-2012, 04:25 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a little search Many reveiws on this forum

You wont regret btw , try to get the new Trofeo R they say it last longer

In terms of grip and laptimes...

Trofeo>MSPC>Corsas>>Supersports
Old 04-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Toyo R888s and I have a set of Trofeo's that I plan to use in May at Roebling. GMG said they do have some sets of the new Trofeo Rs so give them a PM.

My friends that have used the Trofeos say they are better then the R888 and MPSC.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Northshore04
Instructor

Originally Posted by TTurbine
Do a little search Many reveiws on this forum

You wont regret btw , try to get the new Trofeo R they say it last longer

In terms of grip and laptimes...

Trofeo>MSPC>Corsas>>Supersports
Thanks. But all the reviews I could find are on the old compound. I've tried the Corsas and liked them a lot but they did wear fairly quickly. Of course, it didn't help that I drove the car around for a while after the track w/o topping off the pressure.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Northshore04
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
I use Toyo R888s and I have a set of Trofeo's that I plan to use in May at Roebling. GMG said they do have some sets of the new Trofeo Rs so give them a PM.

My friends that have used the Trofeos say they are better then the R888 and MPSC.
That's what I thought. I'll give them a shout.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Northshore04
That's what I thought. I'll give them a shout.
The big thing for the Trofeos is tire pressures and slip angle. If you like to hang it out and scrub speed off like Hans Stuck then you will wear them out faster. Also, they like lower pressures so hot 30F and 34R has worked with no more then 32F and 36R.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. But all the reviews I could find are on the old compound. I've tried the Corsas and liked them a lot but they did wear fairly quickly. Of course, it didn't help that I drove the car around for a while after the track w/o topping off the pressure.

God luck finding reveiws on the new compound , Maybe Savboy here tried them , he went through alot of sets on the old compound

Corsas are the longest lasting R coumpound tire... they last around 2.5 - 3 times aslong as the trofeos..

If this is your concern nothing can beat the preforamce/durabilty of the corsas

w/o topping off the pressure? i assume you mean topping up the pressure after track use?

if this is the case any tire wont last long as it will start to get very greasy..
Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Trofeo R is set for USA availability late fall 2012/spring 2013.

In spite of various posts floating around, no one has been willing to take my money for a set or reply to my repeated emails for a ship date because the Trofeo R does not exist for the general public until the end of 2012. Period. End of story. If one single person by chance does pop their head up and claim they have a set on their street car, I would ask them to post a picture of the sidewall- it won't have a DOT approval...

Now go purchase and enjoy a tasty set of "regular" Trofeos. And hot pressures should never be higher than 31psi front or rear 29 psi is optimal...unless you want to eat them up in one track day or enjoy drifting or both.

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/mo...ro_trofeo.html

"TECHNICAL ADVICE
The right pressure for racetrack driving

P Zero™ Trofeo has a quite stiff construction and does not usually require higher pressures for racetrack use. It is designed for use at a pressure of approximately 2 bar, to be adjusted according to the type of car.

The figures indicated refer to the “operating pressure”: the pressure of the tire when it is fully warmed up to working temperature. For accurate calibration, it is essential to consider that the difference in temperature between a “cold” tyre and a “hot” one is quite significant, normally 0.5 bar.
"
Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks. I was thinking about both the RE11's and the Super Sports too. Might have to give one of them a shot. As far as the new compound Trofeo's are concerned, I thought I heard that GMG had them in already. Maybe I'm mistaken?
I am on RE11's on my 997.2 GT3 and love them. Have not been on another tire with this car so don't have a direct comparison. With the MPSCs on the 997.1 GT3 RS, I was disappointed with the dry grip (maybe inflated expectations), but the wet grip made me fear for my life. I have to say the RE11's SHINE in the wet.

As for MPSS, I just got a set for the DD (2010 Lexus ISF) and replaced the MPS ones on the car. Comparing MPSS to MPS1, it is night and day difference. I've always been underwhelmed by the ISF, but since the MPSSs were put on a couple of weeks ago, I am starting to love the car.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
The Trofeo R is set for USA availability late fall 2012/spring 2013.

In spite of various posts floating around, no one has been willing to take my money for a set or reply to my repeated emails for a ship date because the Trofeo R does not exist for the general public until the end of 2012. Period. End of story. If one single person by chance does pop their head up and claim they have a set on their street car, I would ask them to post a picture of the sidewall- it won't have a DOT approval...
Like I said, caveat emptor.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
I am on RE11's on my 997.2 GT3 and love them. Have not been on another tire with this car so don't have a direct comparison. With the MPSCs on the 997.1 GT3 RS, I was disappointed with the dry grip (maybe inflated expectations), but the wet grip made me fear for my life. I have to say the RE11's SHINE in the wet.

As for MPSS, I just got a set for the DD (2010 Lexus ISF) and replaced the MPS ones on the car. Comparing MPSS to MPS1, it is night and day difference. I've always been underwhelmed by the ISF, but since the MPSSs were put on a couple of weeks ago, I am starting to love the car.
Having visited Vancouver (raincouver) dozens of times over the past 25 years I can understand your fear of driving with the MPSC's

Quick Reply: Pirelli Trofeo's - how are they?