Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pirelli Trofeo's - how are they?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Mike, I have seen your videos, and you have a very smooth driving style. Trofeos excel under those conditions. At Sebring, you will be at least 3 seconds faster in the Trofeos vs. MPSCs.

For guys who like to hang out the tail and drift, well, you get the drift (pun intended)...this is not the tire.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,885 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Which is real interesting... from the looks of the marketing schpiel most everyone should be buying the new R's instead of the current product...
I suspect the R's will supersede the regular Trofeo's when they finally arrive, but that's just a hunch.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z06
Who sells the Trofeo's?
And on the west coast BigO Tires but only through their motorsport department: Guy Gamba: performance@bigo.com (tell him I posted his contact).

If you ask him for the "R" he will add your email to his spam list- don't waste your time or his, they are not available to the public in the US until at least end of 2012. ONLY the original Trofeo is available.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Northshore04
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Here in Asia we've had Trofeos for over a year. They are very grippy for a street tire. Definitely faster than N1/N2 Cup+ to the tunes of 0.5-1 sec on a 2 minute lap. Whereas MPSCs will degrade linearly beyond 10HCs and will have rubber to spare for many more HCs, Trofeos will be long corded before the 10th HC. They are 80-90% as good as Hoosier R6's while the rubber lasts, but the compound is real soft and not designed to last, particularly in hotter climates.

I've driven a set myself and will ABSOLUTELY choose Trofeos over MPSCs if faced with the choice (despite the price difference) out of better dry grip and *marginally* better wet safety. The only problem is I've never seen a set of Trofeos last more than a full-bore track weekend here. Not for anyone driving more than 6/10ths on a decent DE car anyway.

p.s. the Trofeo sidewalls are softer than MPSCs so you'll likely see better ride quality if street driving's part of the plan. Just don't expect any mileage from 60 [or is it 80?] treadwear rubber...
One weekend? If that's true, then I think I'll just wait for the new R version to come out.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:01 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
CRex, Pirelli, claims the Trofeo is a very stiff tire and need very low HOT pressures. To me that would mean you could run a little less camber...like -2.5f and -2r....which is what I'm running on my MPSC and wear and temps are about right...I could use a touch more negitive camber.

I want to try out Trofeo's, but your reports scare me....I don't want to waste a set of Trofeo's at Sebring in 1 day or weekend.
I've seen a 997.2 TT with 1.5F / 1.0R (according to the owner) scrub off the outer 1/3rd of all corners completely over 6 sessions in just one day at the Ordos International Circuit. So badly that the shoulder started taking on a round not square appearance. Ambient then was a cool 50F... Same event had a very well sorted GT3 running Trofeos on 2.0F&R. He did way better--less chunking and good grip till the end.

I did a back-to-back stint going from worn Trofeos to new MPSCs on my own car last year. Car was definitely bumpier with MPSCs on the street. Then again we have moonlike potholes over here so your situation may be better...

Originally Posted by Northshore04
One weekend? If that's true, then I think I'll just wait for the new R version to come out.
No kidding. If you push your car Trofeos won't last. I got one weekend before the rears corded. A 458 with an aggressive driver wore out most of the tread the first weekend and corded the same set on the first run of the following week. The stories goes on with other cars that aren't being "babied". Temperature certainly plays a role, but generally is not a selling point...
Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like they wear out quicker than the Hoosier A6?!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Trofeo is super sticky, super fast. Wears like, crazy fast.

Trofeo is about 2-3s/lap (100s lap) quicker than MPSC, which is 3-5s quicker than MPSS. I have tried all three tires and have the data to back it up.

However, Trofeos wear INCREDIBLY fast, they look like slicks after barely 2 hard track days, whereas MPSC will go for at least twice as long.

MPSS last forever, but they are not a track tire.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Northshore04
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmardini
Trofeo is super sticky, super fast. Wears like, crazy fast.

Trofeo is about 2-3s/lap (100s lap) quicker than MPSC, which is 3-5s quicker than MPSS. I have tried all three tires and have the data to back it up.

However, Trofeos wear INCREDIBLY fast, they look like slicks after barely 2 hard track days, whereas MPSC will go for at least twice as long.

MPSS last forever, but they are not a track tire.
So the Trofeo's are about 5 - 8 sec per lap quicker than the MPSS??? That's a pretty big time difference. Can I ask what track that is on?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Mike, I have seen your videos, and you have a very smooth driving style. Trofeos excel under those conditions. At Sebring, you will be at least 3 seconds faster in the Trofeos vs. MPSCs.

For guys who like to hang out the tail and drift, well, you get the drift (pun intended)...this is not the tire.
Thanks for the complement....I watch myself on my in car camera and I look bored, like out on a mild Sunday cruise....no steering wheel sawing and only correct quickly with steering input if I have to. I'm always thinking and trying to feel the balance of the car and not slide it at all or to much....I have to drive the car home! LOL

I'm not excited about MPSC at all so far. I picked up some used 245 fronts to try out, maybe they will be a little better for front grip over the stock sized 235 fronts. I think I really want to go back to Toyo R888 in 18" with 255/315 combo. However I would need to sell my current 19" wheels and buy 18" wheels and in this economy I don't really need to spend money on things like that just for a DE.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Mike, have you tried SuperSports yet?
Deputy liked them, I think they will be slower then R888, but perhaps they will do fine.
They are cheaper for sure then the MPSC..
Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Deputy liked them, I think they will be slower then R888, but perhaps they will do fine.
The SuperSports are heavier tires than MPSCs--about 1.5lbs for 245 fronts and a full 4-5lbs for 305 rears. Given a smooth driver they're probably 3-4 seconds slower over a 2 minute lap.

For me, I thought the issue's more about their limited lineal grip (braking). My MPSS'es held nearly 0.9g lateral in the sweepers--respectable for a street tire. But on braking I had to significantly change my brake points--coming from a 230kmh peak speed to a 90kmh entry, the marker's 150m vs. 125 or even 100m with MPSCs.

MPSS'es aren't track tires at all, but when abused on track boy do they LAST. Had them as my rain tires at the last event and did all sort of sideways violence to them for a day. The surface held up so well that you wouldn't have known they've been tracked...

I think they're a good choice for accomplished beginners before they move up to R-Comps. Or, drive to-and-from track tires that will get you there rain or shine.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:57 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
No haven't tried them out yet. Super Sports are $1480 a set, street compound tire...R888 a race compound tire is $1240 a set..$240 diff....I'd rather have the R888 as I don't hate it as much as most on rennlist.

I'm not feeling that the N Spec MPSC is really a r-compound rubber...the R888 is stickier it seems.

Come on Toyo redo the RA1...bring it back please...or would some other company step it up and copy the Toyo RA1 and build a sticky long lasting fun DE type of tire.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:47 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Northshore04
So the Trofeo's are about 5 - 8 sec per lap quicker than the MPSS??? That's a pretty big time difference. Can I ask what track that is on?
Sure, at Yas Marina the difference is about 8s (2:45 lap), Dubai autodrome its more like 5 (1:55 lap).

In order to realize the laptime difference, you really need to be on it though.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Northshore04
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmardini
Sure, at Yas Marina the difference is about 8s (2:45 lap), Dubai autodrome its more like 5 (1:55 lap).

In order to realize the laptime difference, you really need to be on it though.
Ok, thanks. That is a pretty substantial difference.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trofeo's seem to be a bargain compared to what MPSC are selling for....

here is a source I found

http://www.frisbyracetire.com/showpr...22&subcatid=25

Quick Reply: Pirelli Trofeo's - how are they?