Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pirelli Trofeo's - how are they?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:30 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a chance to really test them @ Spa Francorchamps this weekend. (Pirelli Trofeo R)

From all the tyres I've used (Michelin Cup, Cup+, Pirelli Corsa, Pirelli Trofeo, Pirelli Trofeo R) these are my favorite tyres. They have got amazing grip and (for me this is even more important) are very progressive at the limit, which means for an amateur like me that they give you a lot of confidence when trying to push through the corners. This is a big difference with the Michelin cup which is a lot less progressive. They also seem to last longer than the non-R Trofeo (that was a disaster).

Coming from the Michelin Cup I really had to adapt the first runs to discover the grip limit of those tyres in the corners. Went too slow (entry speed) in certain corners and hit the brakes too early, lap after lap.

And thanks to a rennlister I found an address in the UK where I can get them at reasonable prices so I think I'll stick to these tyres in the future ( would continue using Pirelli Corsa, but they stopped producing them).

FYI I run 3 deg neg. in the front and 2.5 in the back.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:56 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Had a chance to really test them @ Spa Francorchamps this weekend. (Pirelli Trofeo R)

From all the tyres I've used (Michelin Cup, Cup+, Pirelli Corsa, Pirelli Trofeo, Pirelli Trofeo R) these are my favorite tyres. They have got amazing grip and (for me this is even more important) are very progressive at the limit, which means for an amateur like me that they give you a lot of confidence when trying to push through the corners. This is a big difference with the Michelin cup which is a lot less progressive. They also seem to last longer than the non-R Trofeo (that was a disaster).

Coming from the Michelin Cup I really had to adapt the first runs to discover the grip limit of those tyres in the corners. Went too slow (entry speed) in certain corners and hit the brakes too early, lap after lap.
While I think the first sentence was an just opportunity to brag I fully agree with IRFuel's comments. Great point to bring up about the ability to brake deep. It is shocking how deep you can go with the R's. And as IR says, very progressive to let go. The R's do seem happy with some slip angle and after that they just feel gooey not binary. Gives you plenty of time to release whatever control input you had in to fix the problem and them continue on with the happy lappery (credit Aussie Jimmy).

As fate would have it, I have a brand new set of R's in RS fitment, and two sets 50% I am about to put on the FS Forum. Message me if interested.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:00 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by savyboy
While I think the first sentence was an just opportunity to brag
I only live a 1h15m drive away from that place, you know
Old 09-21-2012, 06:14 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

While I think the first sentence was an just opportunity to brag I fully agree with IRFuel's comments. Great point to bring up about the ability to brake deep. It is shocking how deep you can go with the R's. And as IR says, very progressive to let go. The R's do seem happy with some slip angle and after that they just feel gooey not binary. Gives you plenty of time to release whatever control input you had in to fix the problem and them continue on with the happy lappery (credit Aussie Jimmy).

As fate would have it, I have a brand new set of R's in RS fitment, and two sets 50% I am about to put on the FS Forum. Message me if interested.
Pete what sizes are they? Trofeo or Trofeo R? please, PM me
Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 PM
savyboy
Drifting

I only live a 1h15m drive away from that place, you know
Have you no shame? Just pile it on would you? Sheesh...

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Pete what sizes are they? Trofeo or Trofeo R? please, PM me
PM'ed
Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Have you no shame? Just pile it on would you? Sheesh...

If I drive one hour longer I am at the entrance of the Nuerburgring Nordschleife. I don't know if I have already mentioned that to you?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:09 PM
savyboy
Drifting

If I drive one hour longer I am at the entrance of the Nuerburgring Nordschleife. I don't know if I have already mentioned that to you?
Slow! Ban him!

Old 09-22-2012, 04:19 AM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

THats an awesome neighbourhood for racetracks.

Spa, 'ring, Zolder..

How would you say the grip level is vs. MPSC? Lets say into La Source (where braking weaknesses are always exposed) or Bruxelles? That downhill braking is tough. Bus stop I guess qualifies as well but that seems to be more about how you point the car wrt to the bumps.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:54 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 196 Posts

The compound's very grippy. I registered a constant 1.3G lateral this past weekend. For fair comparison I manage 1.4-1.5G on R6's.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by bmardini
THats an awesome neighbourhood for racetracks.

Spa, 'ring, Zolder..

How would you say the grip level is vs. MPSC? Lets say into La Source (where braking weaknesses are always exposed) or Bruxelles? That downhill braking is tough. Bus stop I guess qualifies as well but that seems to be more about how you point the car wrt to the bumps.
This tyre is a lot better than a MPSC.

You forgot the braking zone for Combes. Pretty high speed there before hitting the brakes.

My personal "top 3" is:

Pirelli Trofeo R > Pirelli Corsa > Michelin Cup

I cannot for 100% say that the cup has less grip compared to the Corsa, but my laptimes are always better on Corsa tyres than on Cups. Maybe it is because of the progressiveness? But Trofeo beats both hands-down.

Here is 1 lap @ Spa on Trofeo R. Laptime 2:49.8 and there still is room for improvement in the braking zones (and probably in other places too, but there we are hitting the driver limit , such as not having ***** big enough to go faster through Blanchimont 2, or braking a lot later in Eau Rouge. A friend of mine only starts braking once he is going over the curb on the left hand side. I brake before turning in.).

Old 09-22-2012, 12:17 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by CRex
The compound's very grippy. I registered a constant 1.3G lateral this past weekend. For fair comparison I manage 1.4-1.5G on R6's.
I'm gonna check on my data logger and see if I can compare to other tyres.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Northshore04
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice review. I finally got around to ordering some and they're being installed on Monday for next weekend at Fontana. Can't wait. We'll see how it goes. . .
Old 09-22-2012, 04:38 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This tyre is a lot better than a MPSC.

You forgot the braking zone for Combes. Pretty high speed there before hitting the brakes.

My personal "top 3" is:

Pirelli Trofeo R > Pirelli Corsa > Michelin Cup

I cannot for 100% say that the cup has less grip compared to the Corsa, but my laptimes are always better on Corsa tyres than on Cups. Maybe it is because of the progressiveness? But Trofeo beats both hands-down.

Here is 1 lap @ Spa on Trofeo R. Laptime 2:49.8 and there still is room for improvement in the braking zones (and probably in other places too, but there we are hitting the driver limit , such as not having ***** big enough to go faster through Blanchimont 2, or braking a lot later in Eau Rouge. A friend of mine only starts braking once he is going over the curb on the left hand side. I brake before turning in.).

http://vimeo.com/49559556
I don't consider Les Combes much of a braking zone

Nice lap!

I will be trying them for the first time in a few weeks. Haven't had anything quicker than MPSC on my car yet. Feel like I am getting the most out of them, but guys on Trofeos are making my life a living hell.

Quick Reply: Pirelli Trofeo's - how are they?