Pirelli Trofeo's - how are they?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
They haven't been more money than MPSC over hear...only high price I've seen is what Fabryce from GMG quoted me a while back....other tire places have all been in line with decent prices.

I'd still really love to try out a set of Trofeo's but can have them only lasting 2 track days as some here are reporting. I received a lot of eronious tire info over the years on rennlist so I'm not sure what to believe anymore.
2 track days seems to be the consensus. Slower drivers can make them last 4, but they are well past their prime by then. I've many a time made the joke "hey! no slicks allowed!" to drivers who show up on Trofeos with less than half a dozen track days on them.

And, yeah, they really look like slicks.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bmardini
2 track days seems to be the consensus. Slower drivers can make them last 4, but they are well past their prime by then. I've many a time made the joke "hey! no slicks allowed!" to drivers who show up on Trofeos with less than half a dozen track days on them.

And, yeah, they really look like slicks.
Thanks....dang it..seems like Pirelli Trofeo's are not a great track tire if you want something that will last at least 4-6 track days.

I don't slide my car around, but I'm not slow either. I take care of my brakes and tires and am a relatively very smooth driver I'm told.

I get a good 4 DE days on Toyo R888's then they slowly start to heat cycle out...max of 5-6 de days on R888 rears. The MPSC's I'm on seem to maybe be wearing slighty better than R888 but have not had the grip a R888 has. I "might" see 6-7 DE days on the MPSC.

I agree with everyone on this forum...there is nothing like the Toyo RA1 for a DOT R-Compound track tire. I wish a tire company would step up and make Porsche 997 18" and/or 19" sizes in a tire as good as the RA1 was.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:52 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd still really love to try out a set of Trofeo's but can have them only lasting 2 track days as some here are reporting. I received a lot of eronious tire info over the years on rennlist so I'm not sure what to believe anymore.
I wonder how many people who are commenting on Trofeos have actually run them on the track in their own cars. A lot of comments seem to be second hand information. I run them on two cars, and I am not buying the "they last only two track days" information. It gets incredibly hot in Dallas, and I have not had a set last less than four days.

Comparing them to MPSS or MPSC is not correct. The real comparison should be Hoosiers. Yes, they are that fast.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:14 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
I wonder how many people who are commenting on Trofeos have actually run them on the track in their own cars. A lot of comments seem to be second hand information. I run them on two cars, and I am not buying the "they last only two track days" information. It gets incredibly hot in Dallas, and I have not had a set last less than four days.

Comparing them to MPSS or MPSC is not correct. The real comparison should be Hoosiers. Yes, they are that fast.
Yep Dallas get hot and humid. How many days do you get on Trofeo's?
Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I wonder how many people who are commenting on Trofeos have actually run them on the track in their own cars.
I had a set of the first generation Trofeos and they lasted me only 1.5 days of track use and about 800 miles of street driving. They weren't noticeably faster than the MPSC's but with such a short life span, I decided to go back to the Corsa systems and now the MPSC's.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Yep Dallas get hot and humid. How many days do you get on Trofeo's?
On the RGT, the first set lasted five DE days and one private track day. The second set lasted four DE days and one private track day. The private track days are good for at least two and a half hours of track time.

On the GT3, I am on my first set. I have done two DE days, and one private track day. They should last at least another two days of DE.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the RGT, the first set lasted five DE days and one private track day. The second set lasted four DE days and one private track day. The private track days are good for at least two and a half hours of track time.

On the GT3, I am on my first set. I have done two DE days, and one private track day. They should last at least another two days of DE.
Good to know. I have a set of Trofeos mounted and balanced ready to go for my May events. So your experience is ~6 days of good track time.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Northshore04
Instructor

ok, I just put on some MPSS for now. The two front Pirelli Corsas that I had on the car for track use look like they'll be ok for a few more events, so I'm going to order two new rears and get a set of track wheels to put them all on.

I have a few weeks to get it all done but if I can't, the MPSS will have to do. If I have to run the MPSS on the track, it'll be fun to see how the MPSS do compared to the Corsas on the same track at basically the same time of year.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 PM
BBMGT3
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Northshore04
ok, I just put on some MPSS for now. The two front Pirelli Corsas that I had on the car for track use look like they'll be ok for a few more events, so I'm going to order two new rears and get a set of track wheels to put them all on.

I have a few weeks to get it all done but if I can't, the MPSS will have to do. If I have to run the MPSS on the track, it'll be fun to see how the MPSS do compared to the Corsas on the same track at basically the same time of year.
Corsas will be quicker.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Northshore04
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmardini
Corsas will be quicker.
Yeah, I expect them to be. I'm just curious what the exact difference between the two will be. I haven't gotten the car optimized for the track yet. I still need at a minimum, some race buckets, roll bar/harnesses and track wheels. Until then, my tires are going to be doing double duty. After the car is set up, then I'll start diving into the purer track tires.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:03 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Good to know. I have a set of Trofeos mounted and balanced ready to go for my May events. So your experience is ~6 days of good track time.
I had Trofeo's. They have a lot of grip but they are for people with deep pockets. Very expensive and they don't last long at all.

Some friends of me also ran Trofeo's. Same experience. Huge grip levels but they wear out very fast compared to a Michelin Cup and a Corsa.

Now Pirelli introduced the Trofeo R, even more expensive!

If you want to run "on a budget" take the Michelin Supersport. 2 friends of mine used them on their GT3. They give a lot of grip (not as much as a Cup of course), much more than a PS2, and because it is still a street tyre it is a lot easier to drive on the limit than a cup (much more squealing and the "limit zone" is a lot bigger than with a cup tyre so you feel more confident). They last a really long time + they can be used in the wet too.

To give you an idea about the pricediff: a set of 4 Trofeo's is about 1000 euro's more expensive than a set of Michelin Supersports over here!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:27 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Yes, you should see about six days of DE driving. Please post your feedback.

Comparing them to MPSS is like comparing Apples and Oranges. The MPSS is a street tire than can handle track duty, but at the end of the day, it is a "wannabe" track tire. The Trofeo is a true track tire.

You have to pay for grip through increased tire wear. There is no free lunch.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:36 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

If Trofeo's could last 6 days and the trip to and from Sebring (which is about 350 miles for me for a roundtrip) then I'd be glad to try them. The RA1's did.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:00 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Corsas seemed to last pretty long compared with the Trofeos and MPSC's
Old 04-21-2012, 02:12 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by skxf430
Corsas seemed to last pretty long compared with the Trofeos and MPSC's
Heard that but they are not as fast as MPSC or Trofeo either....so longer lasting and slower or faster wearing and faster....hummmm....where is the middle ground?

Quick Reply: Pirelli Trofeo's - how are they?