Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT Just got out of 2nd Back surgery some advice for you older fellers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:54 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OT Just got out of 2nd Back surgery some advice for you older fellers.

hey guys, I just got back from marina Del Rey hospital and my 2nd
and most severe back surgery. I spend FIVE days in. Usually they want
you out of there ASAP. But because this was so severe I had to stay in the shop
for some extra lube and get some seals change, in reality I had S1 fused to L5.
and they put in spacers in and then glued it up with some donor stuff. I have three letters to write to some fine people's families. I spend three days in a recliner and 1 day in bed. The issue after the surgery is that the sciatic is KILLER. I mean it was before the surgery but its like a 1000 volt cattle prod now! its the worst part of this. I dont even feel the back pain where I got cut
compared to the sciatica. Right where the Glute meats the hamstring and down to the knee. Its so back I am basically dragging my left foot. What scares me is I have permanent nerve damage there now. When the Doc opened me up he said it was easy to see where the nerve was getting crunched and on top of that there was arthritis.
So my advice is even if you have some slight nerve pain down your leg, go get it checked out, if you let it fester you might end up with permanent damage. And track junkies will really suffer. And the worse thing is I bought my wife a BMW X5M and I cant drive it or see it even, and its a week old.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Paul, get better, a good and calm recovery is the other half of the treatment, so skip driving, be comfortable, enjoy the internet, don't write too much, your back will appreciate it.

I wish you a speedy recovery.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:13 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Paul, get better, a good and calm recovery is the other half of the treatment, so skip driving, be comfortable, enjoy the internet, don't write too much, your back will appreciate it.

I wish you a speedy recovery.
+1
I cant say it better myself.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:38 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

from one old guy with a bad back to another my best for a speedy and complete recovery. My back issues ( many degenerated, as in completely degenerated discs), too many g's for too many years, is but one reason I have sport buckets in my car, except the Cayenne. Just don't laugh when you see me get out. Take care Paul.

Jack
Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Doc GTO
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your doc cleaned out the foramen around the L5/S1 nerve roots then the sciatic may he hypersensitive as it is trying to heal (which is temporary). I would be doing ice over the area 20 minutes every hour to calm it down. NO HEAT. It also may be the sacroiliac joint on the problem side with some tendonitis where the hamstring inserts on the iscial tuberosity from how you have been walking with this lumbar problem. Ice on that will help as well. I don't know your RX history but to be safe, NSAIDs or Aleve at the proper dose (consult your doc) or if you cannot take those, a supplement called Boswellia complex is fantastic for swelling and safe if you are on other RX meds that prevent you from taking NSAIDs, ect. Standard Process or BioGenesis sells it and it is the highest quality. You have to buy those brands at a health care providers office (i.e. chiropractic physician, functional medicine doc, A.P., act). I carry those sups so PM me if you need any more info.

Did your doc prescribe PT/active rehab to help get some core strength back once the pain settles down???

Good luck with recovery!

Last edited by Doc GTO; 03-06-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Hey Paul...suck it up you tough old bird! LOL.....anyway, believe me I know pain too....I learned the older I get the longer it takes to heal. Be patient, take it easy...you're retired right?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:26 PM
speedyralph
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Paul,

My issue wasn't as bad as yours, but I did have an artificial disc replacement on c5-6 this past Aug 24 in Southhampton, UK. My new disc is one of a kind and it restored my mobility 100%.

I lived with pain (spinal stenosis), NAIDS, P killers, and traction therapy for 16 months until I had no choice but to go under the knife.

I complained about spasm in the opposite area of the surgery. My doc reminded me that my nerves could still give me pain up to 18 months post op. He then said that any pain after would be permanent. He suggested acupuncture for the spasm.

It's been 6-7 weeks that I have been attending acupuncture therapy and I'm very happy to say that I have not experienced a full blown spasm till date.

Try alternative medicine and keep icing the area and take naids. If you don't like pills try pineapple juice for its natural anti inflammatory benefits.

I hope you feel better.

Ralph
Old 03-06-2012, 07:45 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow thanks guys
Speedy I love pineapple juice i will try that one! Mike yup retired but I started a LLC so still busy.
Doc I appreciate all the advice!Jack the new BMW has their Sport bucket equivalent and they are nice.
and thanks NJ i appreciate it!

Quick Reply: OT Just got out of 2nd Back surgery some advice for you older fellers.