Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ranger,

I've sent you a PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

I'd be interested, but it would depend upon price and performance (stating the obvious) ... anything over $15/bhp is probably "too much" esp for a lowly non-RS ... and it would need to adapt to the non-RS decklid (i.e no cutting) ...
Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mobonic
I will say that a good designed intake will make power, but it should be coupled with a better flowing exhaust, plenum, and TB to make the most gains.

Or else IMO you are just trying to blow more air through a small straw.
Originally Posted by Nizer
Count me in. Exhaust upgrade in process so I need to unleash the other end.
Porsche went to a twin-conical filter on the 4.0 for a reason. As said by the fast and handsome posters above, to make power, it would be paired with a freer flowing exhaust.

A truly tasty package would include a carbonfiber intake as well- designed for higher flow as the 4.0 piece is, and weight savings high and on the ***. Not sure if your folks would want to tackle that complicated project but what a combo that would be.

Inspiration: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...th-seeing.html

If I still had a 3.8 this series of mods would be a no-brainer as part of a well thought out upgrade.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,884 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
... anything over $15/bhp is probably "too much" esp for a lowly non-RS...
Come on, seriously? RS 4.0 was $1,000/hp. Taking away $20k for carbon and other bits still yields around $600/hp.

Short of hacking off your cats, I doubt there's any mod close to $15/hp.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Come on, seriously? RS 4.0 was $1,000/hp. Taking away $20k for carbon and other bits still yields around $600/hp.

Short of hacking off your cats, I doubt there's any mod close to $15/hp.
ahem ... I don't think its an apples to apples comparison to present the $/bhp cost of the 4.0 powerplant mods as exemplar of an "acceptable" price/perf for a replacement airbox... "seriously" Nizer, do you?

perhaps the differential cost between the 3.8 and 4.0 airboxes would be a fairer comparison (in my mind at least, ymmv) ...

I at least (in the case of a replacement airbox) would be less likely to purchase such an item for more than $15-20/bhp ... again ymmv ...

rgds

Larry
Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Had their mk2 6GT3 airbox. A work of art, great R&D and a few HP over the stock paper filter on a Maha dyno.
They managed to maximize it's volume by covering every available space in the engine area. A 10-12l increase.
It used 2 seperate KN filters inside.
The only negatives were the price and that it was so big that, despite being made of carbon, it was actually heavier than the stock one!

Sold it to a RLer when I was contemplating with the idea of a DIY dual intake airbox. Dropped that project and I am now running a BMC panel filter with the stock box.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
Porsche went to a twin-conical filter on the 4.0 for a reason. As said by the fast and handsome posters above, to make power, it would be paired with a freer flowing exhaust.

A truly tasty package would include a carbonfiber intake as well- designed for higher flow as the 4.0 piece is, and weight savings high and on the ***. Not sure if your folks would want to tackle that complicated project but what a combo that would be.

Inspiration: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...th-seeing.html

If I still had a 3.8 this series of mods would be a no-brainer as part of a well thought out upgrade.
Agreed.

The ideal combination would be the carbon intake paired with a Gruppe M exhaust. I've been trying to get Gruppe M to make a Ti exhaust for the 3.8 liters for a while. Again, it really depends on the appetite of the market. For anyone interested, I have an article the Eurotuner Magazine did testing a Gruppe M carbon intake and Gruppe Exhaust for a V-8 M3. I'm happy to distribute. My goal is to create the same performance pairing for Porsche.

Ranger, I am very sorry to hear about your experience with Gruppe M. Our company, HPMX, got involved to prevent those types of issues happening in the future. Prior to us handling Gruppe M in North America, there were a lot of issues; bad service, failed attempts at group buys; sales people who were not knowledgable at all...it nearly caused Gruppe M to just forget about North America entirely.

Please feel free to PM me or send an e-mail to michael.klaskin@hp-motorsport.com

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
Had their mk2 6GT3 airbox. A work of art, great R&D and a few HP over the stock paper filter on a Maha dyno.
They managed to maximize it's volume by covering every available space in the engine area. A 10-12l increase.
It used 2 seperate KN filters inside.
The only negatives were the price and that it was so big that, despite being made of carbon, it was actually heavier than the stock one!

Sold it to a RLer when I was contemplating with the idea of a DIY dual intake airbox. Dropped that project and I am now running a BMC panel filter with the stock box.
me too
Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

ahem ... I don't think its an apples to apples comparison to present the $/bhp cost of the 4.0 powerplant mods as exemplar of an "acceptable" price/perf for a replacement airbox... "seriously" Nizer, do you?

perhaps the differential cost between the 3.8 and 4.0 airboxes would be a fairer comparison (in my mind at least, ymmv) ...

I at least (in the case of a replacement airbox) would be less likely to purchase such an item for more than $15-20/bhp ... again ymmv ...

rgds

Larry
Okay. Didn't realize you were restricting the $/hp ratio to airbox only. So just to clarify, you apply different $/hp hurdle rates for different mods?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Okay. Didn't realize you were restricting the $/hp ratio to airbox only. So just to clarify, you apply different $/hp hurdle rates for different mods?
totally! ... clearly its a highly subjective thing, but I could "justify" a higher cost/bhp for internal mods vs a 'bolt on' ... like an airbox or cat-back exhaust...

however I am probably not typical, just 'damaged' from the experience of converting a 993 3.6 to 3.8L back in 99'/00' ... after that I am probably over price conscious about such things ... in my experience its probably cheaper to sell the car and buy a faster one!

for an air box mod good for probably +10bhp ... I dont think I would personally pay much more than $1.5k-2k for the item ... but then I am Scottish and we are known for being canny with our money!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

for an air box mod good for probably +10bhp ... I dont think I would personally pay much more than $1.5k-2k for the item ... but then I am Scottish and we are known for being canny with our money!
Okay, but isn't that $150-$200/hp, not $15/hp? Or is their a Scottish multiplier that I'm missing??
Old 03-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Okay, but isn't that $150-$200/hp, not $15/hp? Or is their a Scottish multiplier that I'm missing??
nope I'm missing the multiplier ... letting my fingers do the typing *and* thinking! ... not enough coffee yet ...
Old 03-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

nope I'm missing the multiplier ... letting my fingers do the typing *and* thinking! ... not enough coffee yet ...
No worries. Just steer clear of that Irish coffee...
Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

No worries. Just steer clear of that Irish coffee...
THAT explains the problem ...
Old 03-06-2012, 08:54 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,959 Likes on 1,753 Posts

^^ Fully agree. I also own an RS4 and I know that the stock airbox is best. The Gruppe M is a lot of stamps for a beautiful, but unproven intake. I'm sure with all the mods, this would be a nice addition but it should be last on one's list of things to do.

What surprises me is that they only need 10 members to commit and they will develop an intake system for the RS. That a small number of people footing the bill on development and manufacturing of this product. It's going to be pricy.

Quick Reply: Gruppe M intake for 3.8 GT/GT3RS?