Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New Induction System - Worth Seeing

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
Default New Induction System - Worth Seeing

Attached are four pictures of parts of the America GS's new induction system before final preparation. Yesterday, someone asked me if I "loved" it. I replied that I cannot love an inanimate object, no matter what it is, how rare it is or how much it is worth, but that I can be pleased with something. And I am as pleased with what has been done on this as I have been re any component for any vehicle in quite some time. Forgetting the weight savings of approximately 11 pounds (high and rear) over the metal equivalent, the induction (air) box has such features as electronically operated dual carbon fiber resonance flaps, titanium shafts to operate the butterflies and titanium fasteners throughout. Additionally, the metal tool to make the box has been constructed so as enable the use of different center sections so as to be able to produce boxes (albeit with different air intake apparatus) for 997 Cup Cars and certain 997 street cars. Taken together, this is why I presumed upon all of you and included in the title of this thread words I have never used before, "worth seeing".
Attached Images     
Old 04-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, I'll bite, how much $$ are we talking about here for the 11 lbs savings?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I see is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

True. Though not intended for sale, I suspect in excess of $10,000.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:35 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

RSR one is $35K on the 996.. The race shop I use had one as jewelry for a while.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

And, btw, we supplied the 996 one and, truly, even at $15,000, this airbox is a bargain compared to that because, among other things, the RSR version has no internal moving parts.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:24 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

holy sheeeet
beautiful
Old 04-02-2011, 05:01 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Art should not be priced. : )

So assuming this is an exact copy of the factory air-box, did playing with the roughness of the surface in the interior of it, produced any meaningful output results in the engine dyno?

I remember discussing it in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ml#post8156012

Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Another of your marvels to behold.

While price is a product of all kinds of factors (some real, some imagined, some invented, some imposed) I have to wonder why this sort of thing costs more than a couple of dollars. Seriously!

I'm sure there's a fair business case to recoup R&D that would push price skyward according to reliable estimates of volume, demand and competitive products, but again, that would be a business case and presumably the production of these one-off parts is part of some other sort of venture beyond contract work to complete one-off parts.

I wonder if there's any need for it to be made out of carbon fibre; it appears to need heat tolerance and some degree of rigidity, but otherwise, no real strength (or even durability.) This kind of thing (and intake plenum, throttle body housing, etc. ) seems like an ideal candidate for some plastic "printed" out of a 3D rapid manufacturing machine of some sort (SLA or whatever the state of the art might be, I don't purport to be any sort of expert.) I envisage a quick 3D measurement of the existing piece, some (extensive) tidy-up work in a 3D modeling application like Solidworks, some decisions about materials, thicknesses, reinforcement, etc., then "print" a "copy" and start iteratively adjusting until everything lines up, then press in some bushings and bearing surfaces and Bob's your auntie's live-in lover. No? : )
Old 04-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Can I request that you move the panel filter to the other side of the intake? That's right in my way... Actually I could move things around a bit for that.

Very, very nice. Do want, badly...
Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

The good news is that it was built so as to move the filter either way. The bad news is that making it is neither as quick, nor as cheap, as CGT would opine. Notwithstanding, if one was to make hundreds, preferably, thousands, other production methods and materials could be employed but then the cost of tooling and fixturng would rise, particularly because of all of the little internal and external moving and other parts.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
The good news is that it was built so as to move the filter either way. The bad news is that making it is neither as quick, nor as cheap, as CGT would opine. Notwithstanding, if one was to make hundreds, preferably, thousands, other production methods and materials could be employed but then the cost of tooling and fixturng would rise, particularly because of all of the little internal and external moving and other parts.
I did not express the opinion that this particular part was quick or quick to any extent. I did invite you, or others, to explain more about the real costs of this kind of part, especially in the context of parts that don't call for any specific characteristic of carbon fibre other than its relatively light weight compared to a metal alloy (in this case, regardless of strength.)
Old 04-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I did not express the opinion that this particular part was quick or quick to any extent. I did invite you, or others, to explain more about the real costs of this kind of part, especially in the context of parts that don't call for any specific characteristic of carbon fibre other than its relatively light weight compared to a metal alloy (in this case, regardless of strength.)
My apologies for my misunderstanding. I will PM to you my contact info because a full explanation is a bit too long to write.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:43 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
My apologies for my misunderstanding. I will PM to you my contact info because a full explanation is a bit too long to write.
Rats, I was curious as to the answer, myself.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Happy to send my contact info to you, should you wish.

Quick Reply: New Induction System - Worth Seeing