Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

DAS Sport Rollbar Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DAS Sport Rollbar Questions

Hi - I just bought a used DAS Sport rollbar (for 996/997) for use in my 997.1 GT3.

When it arrived, it had a few "features" I was not expecting compared with photos from the DASSport web site ... so for anyone who is familiar with these bars, can you answer a few questions ?

First - on the cross bar that the harnesses will attach to, there are the harness alignment fittings welded on - but behind each seat location (between the two harness alignment gizmos) there are a pair of vertical welded on plates with holes. Wondering what they are for ? Is this for bracing a seat back ?

In addition, on the driver's side there is a plate which has been bolted in place with a couple of holes. Again, wondering what this would be for ?

Also at the bottom of the front roll bar, where it is supposed to attach to the B-pillar seat belt mount point, the attachment hardware seems to have had some shims added ... Is that normal / required (eg. is that to spread the load to floor in some manner ?) or was this just a byproduct of a previous install that needed "help" ?

Anyone who has one of these installed, it would be very handy if they could post or PM close up photos of the attachment to the B-pillar (eg. where does the seat belt go - outside or inside of the bar mounting bracket ?). Did you use an eyebolt for harness attach or use something like the BK harness attachment points and a regular bolt ?

Thanks in advance !
Old 03-05-2012, 04:08 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Looks like seat brace anchor on 1st pic. If u bolted the the dassport wo those shims u would have a gap underneath- looks like previous owner put those on for a bigger footprint in case of a rollover(if they fit keep them on). If u really want to play safe have someone fabricate shims to bolt and weld to chassis floor but u need to drill holes. Totally forgot how safety belt was mounted- sorry. Mike
Old 03-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yep, plates in the top are for seat brace like this one (the square tube with the holes on the brace fits between the vertical plates in your pic):

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9020.php

i agree with 996FLT6 on the bottom plates...looks like the previous owners setup didnt quite reach the floor.

i have GT2 seats so my OEM belts go directly to that, sorry, have never seen a close up of another type set up. HOWever, i did catch a pic on here somewhere where the guy used an eye bolt to secure the foot pad to the B pillar (instead of using the stock bolt etc). my new DAS bar came with 2 eye bolts but they didnt quite fit into that seat bolt opening so i didnt use them.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Dave get it powdercoated.

Mine is.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Dave get it powdercoated.

Mine is.
Got a recommended shop ?

Cheers
Dave
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Thanks spiffyjiff and 996FLT6 - checking the BK website, the vertical plates are indeed the BK weld-on brackets for a seat brace.

Still not 100% sure what the bolt on plate is for - I'll likely remove it to avoid banging the seat back into it.

I figured thats what the shims were for - I'll have to see how things fit when I do the install in the spring.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Got a recommended shop ?

Cheers
Dave
Autoimport sent mine out to get done. Not sure where they sent it. Give Jamie a call.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

You should be able to take it to any powder coating company yourself. I had a bush bar done a few years ago, cheap and painless.

Quick Reply: DAS Sport Rollbar Questions