Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SOLO DL

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Maybe I need to Look into that one next time you are at the track.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:03 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

@M3EvoBR, send DogFish 120 minute to Hong Kong. Consider your system plug-n-play. Contact Peter Krause and get the CAN bus cable, then call me. I'm going to build a plug-n-play socket under the steering column using a PC power connector, super neat and dependable. No cutting will be done, you have to see my electric tools.

@CRex, thanks for all the info, next time you're in Miami, beer on us.

@Orthojose, yes I get all that amazing info in my Cayman.

@Trakcar, your decision. Traqmate means cutting into the CAN bus to get RPM, I don't need to get Ground (-) from the CAN bus for AiM, the chassis is better for ground. Cut for TM or for AiM, no difference. Now, if you follow Mooty on the 3-steps program, you end up with lazy/easy plug-n-play video and flappy paddles.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
If Race Keeper just had HD video on par with Go Pro I believe it would be what you all are looking for. Super simple to use, plug and play OBDII info, no cutting wires, multiple cameras can be connected and there is no waiting to merge video and data.
I can see the delay on video, no good
Old 10-27-2012, 09:26 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I can see the delay on video, no good
You talking about throttle...green vertical line is delayed?

The brake light on the video is not coming from OBDII...I found out it is just sensing g force so at some tracks like Barber when you lift throttle going down hill like after t13 the brake light comes on...flickers but there is no brakes being applied.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:59 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
@M3EvoBR, send DogFish 120 minute to Hong Kong. Consider your system plug-n-play. Contact Peter Krause and get the CAN bus cable, then call me. I'm going to build a plug-n-play socket under the steering column using a PC power connector, super neat and dependable. No cutting will be done, you have to see my electric tools.

@Trakcar, your decision. Traqmate means cutting into the CAN bus to get RPM, I don't need to get Ground (-) from the CAN bus for AiM, the chassis is better for ground. Cut for TM or for AiM, no difference. Now, if you follow Mooty on the 3-steps program, you end up with lazy/easy plug-n-play video and flappy paddles.
I'm willing to spend all the dogfish you can drink. Patiently waiting for you and Peter to make it work in eddies car. When I see it without delay I believe it.
Still how much can you like a $2k system that is this hard to make work by smart technical people with so-so video quality and still needs connecting to CAN. No cutting? How? This Friday we are at Sebring, coach will put I'm v box with limited connection I guess..
Old 10-27-2012, 10:07 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

GT3DE doesn't use a data system..LOL..just saying!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:21 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watch Rad's videos form Smarty Cam, not as good as GoPro, but 10 times smaller files and good enough for me.

Not playing at ESPN, just on tube
Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Siemans DME that much more of a pain? Champion Motorsport wired my SoloDL into the CANBUS no problems at all, at the fuse box location. I asked them to send the cable to the glovebox and I use a
CD slot holder CD slot holder
for the SoloDL unit. Trakcar, Izzone and GT3DE have seen my setup, it's not hard to deal with, cable and unit go into the glovebox when it's not in use.

One thing nice about tapping near the fuse box- the CANBUS cable also needs a switched power and ground, so you can tap that right at the fuse box.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:54 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I'm willing to spend all the dogfish you can drink. Patiently waiting for you and Peter to make it work in eddies car. When I see it without delay I believe it.
Still how much can you like a $2k system that is this hard to make work by smart technical people with so-so video quality and still needs connecting to CAN. No cutting? How? This Friday we are at Sebring, coach will put I'm v box with limited connection I guess..
Splice, not cut. Use a wire stripper to open up sheath, tie in, done. By buddy has vbox video setup, he is not the best with 'tech'. He never uses it because he can't figure it out. For what you are looking for, smartycam is your best bet.

Originally Posted by Nick Wong
Is the Siemans DME that much more of a pain? Champion Motorsport wired my SoloDL into the CANBUS no problems at all, at the fuse box location. I asked them to send the cable to the glovebox and I use a CD slot holder for the SoloDL unit. Trakcar, Izzone and GT3DE have seen my setup, it's not hard to deal with, cable and unit go into the glovebox when it's not in use.
Spyder uses Siemens ECU. It literally takes about 10 minutes to do a clean install if you know exactly which wire to tap into. I ran the wire along the rear carpeting and into my center console compartment. Stealth install, easy connect.

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Just watch Rad's videos form Smarty Cam, not as good as GoPro, but 10 times smaller files and good enough for me.

Not playing at ESPN, just on tube
Yes, if you are OK with video quality that doesn't stand up to gopro in exchange for ease of use/convenience/price, then smartycam is your best bet.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Red Bear
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

GT3DE and I both have VBox Lite with 7 channel upgrade which cost 2K. Brake and throttle is instant with no delay and no merging required. VBox programed our scene file for a GT3RS 997.2 and all you have to do is save it the SD card. As far as making the connection to the ECU see below:

Quick splice photo uploaded to the following link:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

They have these at walmart in the automotive wiring section, the pink ones are the one you want for the size of wire you are working with.

The yellow wire with white stripe is CAN high, the Black wire with white stripe is CAN low.

Video of WGI: http://youtu.be/21zxPZTxW6k
Old 10-27-2012, 11:32 PM
senna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
This thread make my head hurt.

Maybe I just mount my I phone with harry's laptimer to the roll bar and use that..
Sandro can give me tech support :-)
Next I am going to add an OBD2wifi to sync with my iPhone. Take the iPhone out, I have spent, $100 so far and it merges video in 5 minutes.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Sounds good
Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ocol-list.html
Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Goodness, fellows. Sorry I'm late to the party. Was at Hutchinson Island setting a new track record!

Some fun video here: https://www.facebook.com/video/video...51128854748790 Be sure to click "HQ" on the bottom right of the frame. It's a lot better that way.

I'll address the most salient points in a separate e-mail, but I can say with confidence, that I'll get ShakeNBake's issues solved or I'll take all the stuff back and give him a full refund. It was my mistake when I read that the 2011 cars (including the 4.0) work with the OBD-II connection and did not bother to vet that connection on the 2010 cars...

The CAN (wired) connection DOES work on a 2010 GT3RS, and WELL! Properly installed, this system (and most others) will not fry anything.

TrakCar is in good shape this weekend because Nigel will use the VVBOX standalone, I'm pretty sure, so he won't faint from insulation shavings anywhere!

BTW, VVBOX has just released a new inductive CAN pickup that I'll test on a 987.2 car shortly. More info here: http://www.racelogic.co.uk/Store/pro...Video-VBOX-Pro

I can tell you that the observation in this thread that Porsche has not been consistent in their protocols for engine management ECU and vehicle dynamics CAN is very true, which is why there are at least six different protocols that are used over a seven year period, more for different platforms (996 vs 996 GT3, for instance).

This is why there is a little confusion, both on the supplier and user ends, on what works with what and why RAD's big Fiat (and C6 Z-06, new Mustangs and quite a few others) ARE truly PnP.

I've sold Traqmate/ChaseCam/Sony HDR/GoPro Hero 2 and 3 combos for eight years. I love the software for DRIVER PERFORMANCE improvement. I think the hardware is not particularly robust or durable and most people don't like multiple boxes all over the car. The last few years, with the introduction of all-in-one, one-box video/data solutions like Race-Keeper, AiM SmartyCam and VVBox, I've seen a steady exodus of people from the older systems that require separate data and video downloads, merging of that video and data and have suffered three video capture hardware changes to the more modern systems. That said, the TM/GoPro HD IS the ONLY solid, working data-overlaid HD video solution.

The problem is that technology has changed to allow some of these data/video companies to tap into the extraordinary amount of information these most modern cars have coursing through their connections between their many ECU's. This is exciting and worthwhile stuff. The nice thing is that through software releases to read this stuff and firmware releases to translate it (or vice versa), this new crop of equipment, specifically the Solo DL (or EVO4) and SmartyCam combos, can have their capabilities and power expanded through a simple download.

Are the manufacturers as good as they say they are? No. Racelogic (VVBOX) and I (as well as countless other dealers and the German distributor) have gone round and round over the last two years to get a proper protocol for 996/997 GT3 and GT3 Cup that works over CAN. AiM is expanding their lists of protocols and connections frequently. Race-Keeper, less so. AiM does have the best OEM integration of anything I've sold or seen, anywhere.

In my opinion, the Solo DL/SC GP combination is a very well constructed, rugged and quite reliable piece of equipment NOW, and one that has greater capability and capacity for logging than even the vaunted MoTeC CDL.

The Video VBOX has some of the best SD quality video and the side-by-side comparison of segments is a terrific feature (you'll see that soon, Peter), but I've had a higher percentage of hardware failures (all fixed by the UK factory, headed to the Post Office right now with one) than any other maker. Plus, the GPS is the ONLY input to generate speed, lat and long G, so when there is dropout (which there is too much of), you cannot compare laps to laps. Tough and should not be happening.

The Race-Keeper's video quality and limited visualization of data overlaid on the video pushes it down the list of my desirable traits and capacities.

For those comfortable with the separate file handling and post-processing requirements, the TM/GP H2 or H3 combo (especially with the TraqDash) is terrific, but CANNOT connect to any of the most modern cars, even for something as simple as RPM, without an inductive sensor on a coil pack. Forget about any vehicle health information (unless you want to install your own sensors, and the software doesn't allow scaling or any other manipulation of the sensor data) or any CAN derived information with the TM/GP H2 combination. The new locking connectors and the new dash are cool and work well, providing good, real time feedback.

I have sold many systems from five different manufacturers to Rennlist members. I am committed to making sure not only that people make an informed purchase decision about this stuff, but that when thy get it, it is configured and set up so there is the LEAST amount of hassle and people can hit the track running. NONE of this stuff is truly PlugNPlay, but I'm doing what I can to get it there for my clients and customers.

You pay your money and you make your choice. There is no bad one...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-30-2012, 01:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

^ Great post. Thanks, Peter.

Quick Reply: SOLO DL