Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SOLO DL

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 02:23 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by oebb
Most information is available over OBD in mk2 cars, the only essential information I haven't found is brake pedal position.
Brake pedal position is largely irrelevant when you have the pressure trace.

Looks like you got a real interesting app there. If you can find a way to do multi-cam support (all over GoPro WiFi) and ECU data collection I'll pay good money for it. And there are enough folks here who'll think the same.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:31 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

CRex, I'm very impressed with the amount of data your 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 is sending: especially, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Engine Coolant Temperature, Brake pedal pressure, and other, amazing.

Now the key question for you:

Which cables and where are they located in the 997.2 GT3 RS (color code, pin number, etc) did you use on your installation. I want to take this with Eddie's 3.8RS (M3EvoBR) and make it work.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2012, 02:34 PM
oebb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Brake pedal position is largely irrelevant when you have the pressure trace.

Looks like you got a real interesting app there. If you can find a way to do multi-cam support (all over GoPro WiFi) and ECU data collection I'll pay good money for it. And there are enough folks here who'll think the same.
Multi cam support should be easy once gopro adds support for connecting to a external wifi access point. Currently the latest wifi bacpac firmware only supports itself being the access point. But that will most likely change in later releases.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:38 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

AIM happens to have a fairly extensive installation guide here with wiring layout. And there are a couple approaches to tapping into that CANBUS. Covered here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/9375070-post2.html

But in short you can do it (i) at the ECU (as documented in the AIM guide), (ii) at the wiring loom above the fusebox (search around--IIRC amso3 and utkinpol have had separate posts detailing their success "down there") and (iii) at the steering column (which is what I did... I tapped it here only because I learned it initially in the 997.1 and have been too chicken to try the other locations)
Old 10-26-2012, 04:08 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
AIM happens to have a fairly extensive installation guide here with wiring layout. And there are a couple approaches to tapping into that CANBUS. Covered here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/9375070-post2.html

But in short you can do it (i) at the ECU (as documented in the AIM guide), (ii) at the wiring loom above the fusebox (search around--IIRC amso3 and utkinpol have had separate posts detailing their success "down there") and (iii) at the steering column (which is what I did... I tapped it here only because I learned it initially in the 997.1 and have been too chicken to try the other locations)
Super, thanks for the first 80% of the info, now for the remaining 20%, what color cables under the steering column (much preferred than tampering anything near the ECU).

M3EvoBR will pay for beer.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:48 PM
JJE997.2RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by oebb
Most information is available over OBD in mk2 cars, the only essential information I haven't found is brake pedal position.

Here's a video of the data collected by a android app I made earlier this year, using a bluetooth obd adapater, bluetooth GPS receiver and a gopro camera. It's still at a proof-of-concept stage though.

The app can currently control gopro cameras using the wifi-bacpac so no need of manually syncing data to video when overlaying the data on the video file.

Maybe I should finish it
Dude, that's ridiculous. Keep going with it!
Old 10-26-2012, 04:49 PM
JJE997.2RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Super, thanks for the first 80% of the info, now for the remaining 20%, what color cables under the steering column (much preferred than tampering anything near the ECU).

Rad, nice work. Keep it up. Then I'll just hand you my car and my DL and you can do it for me at the next event.

Jero
Old 10-26-2012, 07:46 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Yellow/White = CAN+
Black/White = CAN-

The colors are the same wherever you find the main wiring loom. I used a 16-gauge wire for the connection and encountered no electrical issues.

Now send beer to Hong Kong. Pls.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:48 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys, arriving late for the party. I'll go thru the thread in a little bit.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Sorry guys, arriving late for the party. I'll go thru the thread in a little bit.
10% discount for all contributors to this thread is a fair price for being late. What say you?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9972RS
^ agreed.

solo dl and smartycam system is not ideal. I returned my smartycam because of the horrible video. Kept the Solo DL. What a waste of $1K. GoPro sells a HD cam for a fraction.
Video is better on the Go Pro, no questions. I run both, but no merging is priceless, worth every penny in my opinion.

I don't want to cut wires, and won't cut wires. I'm horrible with electronics, and that can turn into a nightmare in case you have a problem, which happens and already happened among us.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

CRex, I'm very impressed with the amount of data your 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 is sending: especially, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Engine Coolant Temperature, Brake pedal pressure, and other, amazing.
Rad, doesn't your solo DL give you all these channels on your cayman?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE997.2RS
Rad, nice work. Keep it up. Then I'll just hand you my car and my DL and you can do it for me at the next event.

Jero
+1

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
Video is better on the Go Pro, no questions. I run both, but no merging is priceless, worth every penny in my opinion.

I don't want to cut wires, and won't cut wires. I'm horrible with electronics, and that can turn into a nightmare in case you have a problem, which happens and already happened among us.
Yeah, if we have to cut might as well put up with merging and enjoy no learning curve and good video of traqmate. I tried calling them today if they can upgrade the cabling and connectors but got busy..
Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 PM
tripleblack
Racer

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I don't really find that OBD readout all that useful. The most important thing I would like to have in my data, brake pedal pressure, isn't even there.

What would be the best solution to get brake pedal pressure somehow? Is it easy to install a custom sensor and wire it to a datalogger?
You can put brake pressure sensors into brake lines (i.e. below brake fluid reservoir). AiM MyChron board onto CAN. Fully integrated video, rpm, brake pressure, fluids, video etc.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

If Race Keeper just had HD video on par with Go Pro I believe it would be what you all are looking for. Super simple to use, plug and play OBDII info, no cutting wires, multiple cameras can be connected and there is no waiting to merge video and data.

Quick Reply: SOLO DL