SOLO DL

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 03:08 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
there are no smart geeks, eecs, comp sci ppl on this forum?
make something that works. i am even lazier now. i dont even want to press the on off button. i just want it to work. i think, it makes it happen.

that's why i love my toilet seat.
i get on it. i think, it happens.
simple.
i likey.
Step 1:
Sell 4.0RS at a premium
Step 2:
Buy cheap Scuderia
Step 3:
Buy AiM SoloDL, FilmTools Gripper 115 and SmartyCam

No need for on/off button, it records and merges videos automatically, lazy proven, no more money shifts, and shifting with the flappy paddles is optional as there is an AUTO button. If you are even lazier, switch to RACE mode.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
I had the same happen on my .1RS with Can SoloDL when I chose the Bosch settings (looked like it was for a cup car or RSR) For now I'm on the plain jane 997 selection with no can bus collisions but limited data...

CRex, can I get a screen shot pic of your setup on your .1RS? Is it picking up steering angle and brake switch for example?
On the .1RS I didn't have the SoloDL. Just a SmartyCam connected via the AIM ECU Bridge (configured for Bosch ECU). That gave me almost all the channels I'd expect, with the exception of brake pressure. Brakes were a binary channel (on/off) back then.

With the .2RS and a direct SoloDL->ECU connection (configured for Siemens) the channel list expanded somewhat. I get throttle butterfly position (in addition to pedal position), brake pressure (the whole range of inputs in psi/bar), steering speed (deg/s) plus a couple others I may have missed.

My AIM rig runs on a laptop at home. I'll get you a screencap later.

p.s. the BOSCH setting I had for the 997.1 was not under "Porsche". IIRC look under ECU Manufacturer -> BOSCH -> 997 GT3 or something like that. For sure it wasn't the motorsport MS4 or under other "Cup" monikers--those have a different ECU and I do recall crashing the CANBUS at some point while putzing around the settings...
Old 10-26-2012, 06:23 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

I may have found an answer here:

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...rer_120608.pdf

While the original OBD2 connector has CAN+/- leads going into Pins 6 & 14, integration with the vehicle's actual CANBUS varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Fiat has been integrating CANBUS into their OBD since the '08 430. Hence all the goodie channels you're seeing. In other words your OBD connection is just as good as an ECU tap.

Porsche on the other hand, may have been slower to integrate. There's CANBUS capability in the 997.2 (as I've tested myself), but the 997.1's OBD only had ISO9141.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Here is the config screen for the Fiat via ODB2, it works at the frequencies defined. I take any section of the track, and scroll in minimum units of times to verify the RPM (easiest channel to verify hertz) are logging at the set frequency.

Mr. Cuatro punto Cero was kind enough to send us his RaceStudio SoloDL configuration screen from his 4.0RS. Unfortunately, I was not present when the 2 guys tested this configuration 3 days ago, it was based on the ECU: ODB2, Model: CAN protocol, which supposedly works for Mr. Cuatro punto Cero. I have sent a request for a Road America file from him, so I can load the file in my RaceStudio2 and verify that indeed it is getting the data channels.

The system with ODB2 is plug-n-play, and good for dummies once configured properly, the road block is the proper configuration for a 2010 GT3-RS38-RS40.

This system is about to become the official DE Cup timing equipment, as long as it truly becomes plug-n-play and easy to setup for the Aero Beetles, and that secret recipe is about to be resolved sooner or later.

In the meantime, Trakcar 4.0 is in serious need to produce more videos for his awesome TV Show, Trakcar Nation.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:27 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't really find that OBD readout all that useful. The most important thing I would like to have in my data, brake pedal pressure, isn't even there.

What would be the best solution to get brake pedal pressure somehow? Is it easy to install a custom sensor and wire it to a datalogger?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

This thread make my head hurt.

Maybe I just mount my I phone with harry's laptimer to the roll bar and use that..
Sandro can give me tech support :-)
Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 294 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

Maybe I just mount my I phone with harry's laptimer to the roll bar and use that..
Go back to traqmate. Ive noticed on a few cars that have OBD how delayed the data is......to me delayed data is useless. Having internal temps is nice, but for DE it is not needed

the Gopro sync is super easy to use and video is way better than Smarty Cam

Only one wire has to be spliced, nick splied mine in the pits at Sebring and it is perfect
Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 AM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

^ agreed.

solo dl and smartycam system is not ideal. I returned my smartycam because of the horrible video. Kept the Solo DL. What a waste of $1K. GoPro sells a HD cam for a fraction.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:51 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Ok, even though I'm only a 'lowly' spyder owner, I feel like I should chime in on this conversation. I've been using a Solo DL on my spyder and Evo X for the past year, and I have to say that it works flawlessly. I've had zero hassle, and I have NEVER once looked back or regretted the move from HLT and RaceChrono. A few points:

1) No affiliation with AiM. Just a satisfied customer
2) Customer service is great. As mentioned, Josh@AiM has been great with technical support. Some issues were resolved with software updates that were quickly done.
3) CAN connector is the only way to go. OBD leaves much to be desired in terms of compatibility, data channels, and refresh rate.
4) I strongly feel that there is no 'danger' of tapping into the CAN line as long as the install is done CORRECTLY. It's one wire to the can line, one power, and one ground. That's it. You just need to tap into the correct lines. My friend with a 997.2 GT3 had his ECU go haywire and his car go into limp mode 1/2 way into a track day. It turns out that the ground we tapped into was no good. Make sure that you ground to the chassis itself and you will have no problems.
5) as far as plug and play goes, I think the Solo DL is the closest/best you can get right now. I never considered traqmate because they require seperate wires for each data channel, which means it's a huge pain to datalog. RLC offers a good product, but it's only OBD2, which means that your data rate and channels are much more limited than what Solo DL gets you through the CAN line.
6) The AiM RS2 software is intimidating. Many will be turned off by it. However, once you figure it out, the software is awesome and multitudes more powerful than other software out there.
7) I will argue that you DO need data such as temps/pressures, and that simple speed/rpm is not as good as a full set of data channels. Perhaps just from a coaching standpoint, the limited data channels are enough, but monitoring your cars internals is valuable. I would never have known that my spyder was running too hot in terms of coolant and oil temps if it weren't for my Solo DL. The dummy factory gauge is inaccurate. Now, after adding a factory 3rd radiator, I have definitive proof that my car is running cooler.

I also know that oil pressure is not an issue even with R comps on the DFI engine, for those worried about oil starvation
[IMG][/IMG]

8) In regards to video, I will agree that there is currently not a great plug and play solution. The only plug and play right now is the smartycam, but I personally don't like it because of price, not wide angle, and not hidef. RLC seems to have the right idea in offering a gopro trigger cable, but you still need to sync on your own. Many are indimidated by syncing, which I understand. From my standpoint, once you figure it out, it's quick and easy:
Old 10-26-2012, 01:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Thanks for posting!

Real life feed back.

I only need RPM, oil temp would be nice, but concidering the investment and learning curve I might be stuck with crappy hardware Traqmate..

The only benefit to Solo DL to me was OBD2 plug and play, but that plan seems shot down and the quality of the hardware. The connections are all nice and solid unlike Traqmate garbage but the Smartycam video quality is not that great for the $$.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:22 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

@TRAKCAR, if you tap into a RPM cable for the Traqmate, how different is that to tap into a cable for the SmartyCAM? answer==> no difference. Both methods are using a wire in the CAN bus.

I agree with orthojoe, a bad ground is a common electrical failure, I always take ground cables bolted to the chassis. Recently I installed a switch for the muffler valves in the Fiat, and while designing the wiring, I had a bone stock ECU ground that could not power up the solenoids (while testing at multiple points in the wires route from cabin to rear bumper). Recently my trailer tail lights where flickering, it was a bad ground as well. So, wiring a ground and bolting it to the steel frame is the way to go (with a 14 gauge cable).

Choose the wrong cable from the ECU and things can go bad, but that is an installation error.

As a matter of fact, my Boxster Coupe uses the SmartyCam and Solo DL connected to the CAN bus, I even built a plug concealed in a storage bin, as I use the equipment in the Fiat as well.

Were not because of the AiM Solo DL and the SmartyCam, I would have never known my Coxster was overheating, 275 degrees on engine oil, with the dashboard gauge lying about temperatures being just fine. So, I need to add a radiator to my Boxster Coupe if I want to track it again.

I have used Traqmate for 8 years, and I got tired of wasting time merging videos and data, I wanted a plug-n-play system, with on-dash timer, and the only current option is AiM Solo+SmartyCam. RaceKeeper has crap of an analysis software, Traqmate is a lap timer with very few extra information.

The data channels provide so much information on the health, handling, other than lap times and a fancy map.

@M3EvoBR, let's do CAN setup in your Aero Beetle if we don't get ODB2 to work with your SOLODL and SC. I will show you the installation I did for my muffler valves so you can see quality of electronics work better than what Fiat makes from the factory.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

You have no obd2 link and have to crimp wires. o!
No.... Crimping wires.... It's plug and play... Wire with obdII terminated end plugs right into car and other end plugs into race keeper.

Video is the only short fall. Race Keeper says its HD but its not. I just deal with it because race keeper is so easy to use.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:32 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

If my wife didn't buy me Race Keeper last year that is what I'd do....no joking.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thread here on rennlist that shows the protocol list.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ocol-list.html
Old 10-26-2012, 02:01 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
can I get a screen shot pic of your setup on your .1RS? Is it picking up steering angle and brake switch for example?
You get steering angle, steering speed, oil pressure (important) and brake pressure plus others:

Name:  Data Channels.png
Views: 500
Size:  128.1 KB

Is that a public admission of old age??

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I don't really find that OBD readout all that useful. The most important thing I would like to have in my data, brake pedal pressure, isn't even there.

What would be the best solution to get brake pedal pressure somehow? Is it easy to install a custom sensor and wire it to a datalogger?
It's there. Just need to go thru ECU:

Name:  Brake Pressure.png
Views: 646
Size:  92.1 KB
Old 10-26-2012, 02:07 PM
oebb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most information is available over OBD in mk2 cars, the only essential information I haven't found is brake pedal position.

Here's a video of the data collected by a android app I made earlier this year, using a bluetooth obd adapater, bluetooth GPS receiver and a gopro camera. It's still at a proof-of-concept stage though.

The app can currently control gopro cameras using the wifi-bacpac so no need of manually syncing data to video when overlaying the data on the video file.

Maybe I should finish it

Quick Reply: SOLO DL