Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Rookie posts first driving impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Rookie posts first driving impressions...

200 miles in-

Incredible, just incredible.

Its been a long time since I've driven a proper manual in one of my road cars ( 9 years ago I bought my SMG M3..), so getting the cobwebs cleared out took a few miles.

First off, does anyone else drive with their shoes off?

The pedal placement is a little tight for my wide feet with normal shoes so today I drove it around with my shoes off. First just my right foot, which greatly improved my heel and toe, but I still felt the clutch engangment was clumsy and hamfisted. So I took the other shoe off. Much better!

I also was a little nervous pushing it, getting a feel for weight transfer. The car moves along well, but the impression of speed is much greater with the low road height, so confidence is building gradually. Roads around my house are a little rough and where the M3 suspension is more compliant, I found the GT3 required scanning ahead for larger ruts and potholes (they are truely country roads!), lest I bottom out or bounce wide, but really not that bad, just stiff.

I just took it out tonight to see how the lights work around curves (I am blessed as I live off one of the best driving roads close in to Portland)- the lights follow curves nicely. I really hammered it into a second gear corner (at least I thought), heal and toe was heavenly, I got on it early coming out and wholey ship, I could have done that much faster! Wow.

Around town, no issues so far without the lift, just takes planning. Driving it smooth requires precision, again hamfisted or poorly planned downshifts and you get the Porsche equivalent of a bootjack up your ****. Ja wohl, mein Führer, I will do better next time!

Feel at all times is so mechanical and so direct. I love it! Tire noise on the other hand is loud, but our rutted roads thanks to arcane laws allowing studded tires for all the two days a year we have snow our ice makes any car's tire noise annoying, even luxury BMW's and Mercedes.

Still getting acquainted, but I think this is going to be a long love affair!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:07 AM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

Saw the other thread on your new car. I've found that driving it smoothly requires very smooth, deliberate control inputs. The rewards speak for themselves.

Congratulations on a beauty!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
200 miles in-

Incredible, just incredible.

Its been a long time since I've driven a proper manual in one of my road cars ( 9 years ago I bought my SMG M3..), so getting the cobwebs cleared out took a few miles.

First off, does anyone else drive with their shoes off?

The pedal placement is a little tight for my wide feet with normal shoes so today I drove it around with my shoes off. First just my right foot, which greatly improved my heel and toe, but I still felt the clutch engangment was clumsy and hamfisted. So I took the other shoe off. Much better!

I also was a little nervous pushing it, getting a feel for weight transfer. The car moves along well, but the impression of speed is much greater with the low road height, so confidence is building gradually. Roads around my house are a little rough and where the M3 suspension is more compliant, I found the GT3 required scanning ahead for larger ruts and potholes (they are truely country roads!), lest I bottom out or bounce wide, but really not that bad, just stiff.

I just took it out tonight to see how the lights work around curves (I am blessed as I live off one of the best driving roads close in to Portland)- the lights follow curves nicely. I really hammered it into a second gear corner (at least I thought), heal and toe was heavenly, I got on it early coming out and wholey ship, I could have done that much faster! Wow.

Around town, no issues so far without the lift, just takes planning. Driving it smooth requires precision, again hamfisted or poorly planned downshifts and you get the Porsche equivalent of a bootjack up your ****. Ja wohl, mein Führer, I will do better next time!

Feel at all times is so mechanical and so direct. I love it! Tire noise on the other hand is loud, but our rutted roads thanks to arcane laws allowing studded tires for all the two days a year we have snow our ice makes any car's tire noise annoying, even luxury BMW's and Mercedes.

Still getting acquainted, but I think this is going to be a long love affair!
I drive barefoot all year long! It's an old habit left over from my so cal 356 days! If you ever venture as far south as Ashland make sure you take a run over to K falls on old hwy 66! Congrats again on the new 3
Old 02-28-2012, 01:56 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deutschmick
Saw the other thread on your new car. I've found that driving it smoothly requires very smooth, deliberate control inputs. The rewards speak for themselves.

Congratulations on a beauty!
Yes, driving it smoothly is going to take practice, practice, practice! Let me start right away...

Thanks for the note on the car, it is lovely!

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
I drive barefoot all year long! It's an old habit left over from my so cal 356 days! If you ever venture as far south as Ashland make sure you take a run over to K falls on old hwy 66! Congrats again on the new 3
Are you old enough to remember the picture of James Hunt with his driving boot toes cut off? When I was 15 I thought that was silly, now I completely understand!

I will check out hwy 66, I don't get there too often but that sounds like fun!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:32 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I usually drive with very thinly padded casual runners; great feel of the pedals. But, I've also driven in socks...nice....like being in your favorate armchair.
As far as the GT3 goes, after a while you get used to the feel, which is never ending. Enjoying the acceleration, braking, handling, sound, mechanical connection, overall feedback - pure nirvana.
Then you get into another car & you're like..."What the F@&% !!! This car feels like a piece of S@&% !"
And suddenly...you understand why these cars are held in such high esteem.
Congrats & enjoy the journey...
Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

i have been known to drive in my socks from time to time..... very nice without shoes or at least very thin shoes.....
Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i prefer light, thin sports shoes, but cannot drive barefoot.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 AM
Aerokitted
Pro

You guys are nutz.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:30 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

montoya: The connection only deepens with more miles. These cars are simply phenomenal. I've only had mine 8 months and have already done 7K miles and 6 track days. If I had more time, there would have been more. My acclimation period took about a month and 2 track days. After that, I felt like I wear this car. Enjoy her whenever you can
Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

@montoya, enjoy the ride it only gets better!! Sweet car, love it in yellow!

+1 ...for barefoot driving, on the street that is!! Great feel and comfort!

Ps, when in Daytona, stay away from those jet driers!! (NASCAR reference from last night's extended "left turn" race)

Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

You're doomed...

And barefoot is great until you change the pedals, then, it hurts, but, in an oh so good way
Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 AM
lopro
Banned

Nice thin race shoes and SRP pedles. I love reading your drive report. Was very inspiring. made me want to go driving. Enjoy your car its amazing.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Dear Montoya:

Congrats on the new machine! I realize you are extremely excited with your spectacular new machine, but please don't push it too much towards "your" cornering limits on public street while in the "honeymoon" stage as I don't want your GT3 experience to end in tears (even a minor off-road excursion would do it). You are truly driving a lethal weapon, and mastering the art of balance and weight transfer in any 911, let alone a 997.2 GT3 (whose limits are rather high = speed), takes years of practice. I am still a humble "student" of my 997.2 GT3 even with being a Nationally Certified PCA DE Instructor since 2006.....it is an awesome teacher, but it will bite anyone not giving it full respect.

Anyway, I suggest you buy yourself some slim fitting driving shoes to deal with the pedals (they give nice grip to help with heal/toe), and book a DE event with instruction at your local race track. Not only is it a safe environment to learn and test your skills in your GT3, but you will smiling from ear to ear for a week (maybe even a month!) afterwards.

Take care and enjoy,
Doug N.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

using good shoes is better than driving barefoot, you just need to get proper driving shoes that look more or less casual.

http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing...55&tagarray=21
Old 02-28-2012, 11:25 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJN
Dear Montoya:

Congrats on the new machine! I realize you are extremely excited with your spectacular new machine, but please don't push it too much towards "your" cornering limits on public street while in the "honeymoon" stage as I don't want your GT3 experience to end in tears (even a minor off-road excursion would do it). You are truly driving a lethal weapon, and mastering the art of balance and weight transfer in any 911, let alone a 997.2 GT3 (whose limits are rather high = speed), takes years of practice. I am still a humble "student" of my 997.2 GT3 even with being a Nationally Certified PCA DE Instructor since 2006.....it is an awesome teacher, but it will bite anyone not giving it full respect.

Anyway, I suggest you buy yourself some slim fitting driving shoes to deal with the pedals (they give nice grip to help with heal/toe), and book a DE event with instruction at your local race track. Not only is it a safe environment to learn and test your skills in your GT3, but you will smiling from ear to ear for a week (maybe even a month!) afterwards.

Take care and enjoy,
Doug N.
I know these kind of reviews always sound like you are driving around like a wild man, but not at all- spirited driving safely within the limits of the car, but thanks for the cautionary advice anyways. There are a few corners where it is "safe" to go 80 to 90%- yesterday what I thought was going to be 80% was more like 70%! I live in the hills in NW Portland so I am careful not to "meet" my neighbors driving my car!

Already signed up for my first track day, so see, I'm already taking your advice! Alfa day at PIR coming up in March! Can't wait!

Quick Reply: Rookie posts first driving impressions...