Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New GT3 owner - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New GT3 owner - a few questions

Just picked up a 2010 GT3 to use as a track car and have few questions. Appreciate any help:

1) What's the popular choice of torque wrenches for the center lock wheels?
2) Sport seats are coming out and putting in shells (probably Recaro Profi XL) Any issues to be aware of whe putting in aftermarket seats? Any chance I will be able to reach behind them once they are in as they do not fold?
3) I've read about the coolant line issue. Anything else particular to this car I should keep in mind at the track?
4) I need to tow a small wheel/tire trailer. Any hitch recommendations? (I'd prefer something that can be concealed when not in use)

Thanks for any help...
Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 756 Posts

Congrats on your car, pics and options are following quickly right?

1. search many posts. Tooltopia.
2. No
3. Run water wetter and PFC brake pads if you are advanced.
4. I have seen them where they weld something to the rear tow hook, looks iffy but if made high quality it should be fine. Search big rig, user Erik.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:05 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

you may get a fault code (airbag) light on the dash when you swap seats.... but dealer can help you most likely.

get the folding GT2 seats.... best of both worlds for a track car with a license plate...
Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As far as the wrench goes (I'm not having that much luck with search) between the enormous wrench and the torque multiplier is their some concensus on which is the better option?

The folding GT2 seats are awesome but (I have to confirm this) I don't think PCA will let you run stock class with them and I may try my hand at stock class racing at some point. Then there's the price difference as well...
Old 02-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajjra

As far as the wrench goes (I'm not having that much luck with search) between the enormous wrench and the torque multiplier is their some concensus on which is the better option?

The folding GT2 seats are awesome but (I have to confirm this) I don't think PCA will let you run stock class with them and I may try my hand at stock class racing at some point. Then there's the price difference as well...
cant see why as they were an OEM option...
Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
cant see why as they were an OEM option...
You can run DE events of course, but unless I misread the PCA rules or they have changed since I read them I believe that many of the OEM Porsche gear is insufficient for stock class racing. These include any of the folding seats (not FIA), the Porsche roll bar that comes in the RS (too thin), and the Porsche fire extinguisher (capacity too small).

Maybe someone who races can chime in and tell us for certain...
Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

FWIW, PCA will allow you to run with the full clubsport bolt in roll cage if you do not wish to custom weld a full cage in the car.

The price difference of GT2 seats can always be offset by a speedy sale when you decide to sell them.

For PCA you are probably right about folding seats being not allowed...
Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 PM
edwin814
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many members, me included, have the Precision Instrument torque wrench from Tooltopia http://www.tooltopia.com/precision-i...s-c4d600f.aspx.

It can also be used as a breaker bar, as long as you remove the last section (the actual torque calibration part, or whatever it's called). Some said they need extra long bar, but I had no trouble breaking loose the CL nut with this.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Thanks. Does this actually fit in the car?

Originally Posted by edwin814
Many members, me included, have the Precision Instrument torque wrench from Tooltopia http://www.tooltopia.com/precision-i...s-c4d600f.aspx.

It can also be used as a breaker bar, as long as you remove the last section (the actual torque calibration part, or whatever it's called). Some said they need extra long bar, but I had no trouble breaking loose the CL nut with this.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
edwin814
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. The bar can be detached into 3 pieces, and they come in a nice sturdy black carrying case.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Is the center lock removal nut 3/4" or will I need an adapter with this?

On a different theme, I have a clear bra on the entire front of the car (bumper/hood/side mirrors) and am wondering if there is any other part of the car that it would be prudent to also have covered before tracking the car. (I know, all of it ;-) But seriously I’m wondering if there are other parts of the car that tend to see a lot of kick up? The wing on my previous car used to catch a lot of stuff…
Old 02-22-2012, 02:31 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the same one. It breaks down into 3 parts and comes in a cool plastic case that does fit in your car or trunk.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:32 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Is the center lock removal nut 3/4" or will I need an adapter with this?

On a different theme, I have a clear bra on the entire front of the car (bumper/hood/side mirrors) and am wondering if there is any other part of the car that it would be prudent to also have covered before tracking the car. (I know, all of it ;-) But seriously I’m wondering if there are other parts of the car that tend to see a lot of kick up? The wing on my previous car used to catch a lot of stuff…
no need for clear bra. just park it inside your heated/cooled garage and then take it out on weekend, wash it, polish and put it back in garage.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Ajjra
Pro

Originally Posted by GT3DE
no need for clear bra. just park it inside your heated/cooled garage and then take it out on weekend, wash it, polish and put it back in garage.
Thanks Clarke. You and I actually met at NJMP/Lightning this past season (I think it was an RTR event). I was parked next to you in the Silver S2000. I'm in the middle of reading your CL failure thread right now to get caught up on all the GT3 hassles I can look forward to…
Old 02-22-2012, 02:49 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Thanks Clarke. You and I actually met at NJMP/Lightning this past season (I think it was an RTR event). I was parked next to you in the Silver S2000. I'm in the middle of reading your CL failure thread right now to get caught up on all the GT3 hassles I can look forward to…
GT3 is [nearly] bulletproof.

CL issue I had was, ah, personal??? I am an idiot. I tightened center nut to 600 ftpd not 600 nm. In ftpd that is about 440. oops.

Drive it like you stole it. Wreck it? Duct tape comes in all colors now. Total it? Just get another one.

Why bother with clear bra? It is a TRACK CAR.

Quick Reply: New GT3 owner - a few questions