lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make that +2 - excuse me while I go cry
Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

a 6 speed 4.0L is a beautiful thing! maybe even more so now.....
Old 02-13-2012, 11:15 PM
cobrien
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe it will actually happen, there are too many people who want a standard manual transmission in their GT3 (including me!). That said, I think I'm ok if Porsche makes that decision, like tcsracing1 said.....a 6-speed 4.0 just becomes that much better .
Old 02-14-2012, 12:33 AM
996CAB
Instructor

And the more 'LIKES' or 'DISLIKES' debates are thrown up on forums the more the brands take note...

As we say here in Sarf London..."if you want it then SHOUT about it...!"
Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Translation from Porsche Engineer: The only way we can beat the old 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 lap times with this crappy wet sump boulevard cruiser 9A1 engine, is by adding flappy paddles and lots of electronic suspension gizmos, we learned from Nissan.

Originally Posted by GrantG
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/13/2...anual-gearbox/

I'd be shocked. If there is really only one gearbox choice, I expect Manual for GT3 and PDK-S for RS.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:47 AM
AYHSMB
Instructor

0-60 times and Nurburgring times are ruining cars.

You used to be able to buy a car that hit 60 mph in 3rd gear, which is the proper gear IMO. That basically doesn't exist any more.

New sports cars have to have dual clutch and launch control to make a competitive 0-60 time.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:09 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGT3
Porsche is not designing cars for guys like us anymore

With approximately 80% of their sales being Cayennes and Panameras, the writing is on the wall.

Keep what you've got! Go lock your garage door now!
I know this is why i bought a .1 RS.....but after I saw a 4.0 in action at the track.. I want one of those too!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:39 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Personally, I'm happy to see old tech that adds nothing to the experience being ditched. I'm as sorry to see it go as I am thinking about the fact that I don't have to crank start my car.

The only people resistant to PDK are the same people I pass on track in their "supercars" while I'm in a Spec Miata. Shifting takes no skill and if you think it does you probably shouldn't be driving. When I transitioned from karts to formula cars I spent half a day learning to heel-toe and that was that. Never thought about it again personally except to teach it.

I would love to see what half the guys here would do without ABS. Actually, I know what they would do, WRECK. When I worked for Skip Barber, ABS hadn't totally invaded the market yet and as it became more prevalent you could see the fading skill. Yet I never hear anyone cry for the loss of non-ABS braking systems.

Some people will be lost, but so many more will be gained that it won't matter. And while technology does compress the range of driver skill by giving more of a boost to the neophyte driver, the cream still rises to the top.

Time marches on gentlemen. Keep up or get left behind.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:35 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71
Personally, I'm happy to see old tech that adds nothing to the experience being ditched. I'm as sorry to see it go as I am thinking about the fact that I don't have to crank start my car.

The only people resistant to PDK are the same people I pass on track in their "supercars" while I'm in a Spec Miata. Shifting takes no skill and if you think it does you probably shouldn't be driving. When I transitioned from karts to formula cars I spent half a day learning to heel-toe and that was that. Never thought about it again personally except to teach it.

I would love to see what half the guys here would do without ABS. Actually, I know what they would do, WRECK. When I worked for Skip Barber, ABS hadn't totally invaded the market yet and as it became more prevalent you could see the fading skill. Yet I never hear anyone cry for the loss of non-ABS braking systems.

Some people will be lost, but so many more will be gained that it won't matter. And while technology does compress the range of driver skill by giving more of a boost to the neophyte driver, the cream still rises to the top.

You Da Man!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Rushman71
Instructor

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
You Da Man!!!
Why not try adding to the conversation and making an argument to support your position?

The melodramatic responses that surface every time the possibility of the manual's demise comes along are the same melodramatic responses that come along with almost every new technology. It's always "the end of the world" or "the end of the sports car." Yet the sport scar lives in just fine and there is hardly a person here who would want to revert back to non-ABS brakes, crank start, manual ignition advance, manual choke, non-synchromesh gearboxes, etc.

Think about how ridiculous this argument is. It's all over pressing a third pedal and moving a stick into the correct position. There's no nuances of physics involved like there is with everything else that goes into making a fast smooth driver, just this almost random barely connected activity that's a throwback to an earlier time. If you simply have to have unneeded added complexity for complexity's sake, just text with your right hand like everyone else!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually really enjoyed learning the Skippy open wheel carts without ABS at Limrock. Those seats were terrible, and I will admit that getting it into gear on double clutch downshifts was a challenge on the first day, but I actually liked no ABS. Besides the non-synchro gear box, the thing that actually freaked out about the cars the most is that when you are so low I wasn't actually ready to see how much the exposed wheels in front of my eyeballs were moving up and down even of the front straight.

I took that 3-day race course prior to getting my GT3 back in 2007 - I figured I should be able to drive a 'race' car with no aids before getting the Gt3. I finished the course, picked up the GT3 and was at a PCA Limerock DE 1 week later. Prior to taking the Limerock Skippy 3 day race course, I had done 3 DEs with an Audi. When my PCA instructor got into the car at Limerock in April it was only a couple degrees about freezing and he looked at me with this shinny new Gt3, heard the words Skippy race school and only 3 DEs and I'm sure he thought I was going to ball it up.

I had a great 2 days, if it wasn't for the Skippy course I would have balled it up, was driving consistent 63-64s because I was taught the line so well at Skippy, was catching air on the uphill (that's when I learned that TC had to be disabled) - but do you know what the worst part of the car was by far? ABS - it sucked. There were 4 other new mk1 gt3s and all of us started hanging out and chatting and comparing notes as we were all on our first DE in the car. Everyone complained about the ABS and how we couldn't stop on the back straight because the ABS was going crazy over the bumps - all the older cars were able to brake so much later - we had to move way off line and try to avoid the bumps.

From a marketing perspective for the next generation, and performance, they have to go flappy paddles - it is a must.

I still hate the OE ABS implementation - it needs a race dial to allow more slip.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I like where this thread is going. This should make it easy for me to get a PDK GT3 since none of you are interested
Old 02-14-2012, 09:28 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts

Guys, I had a GT3RS, have a manual turbo. My 991 with PDK is a ball to drive and fast as hell. I love manual cars and drove nothing but for 20 years, but my F1 F 430 changed my mind even though I thought I wanted a manual one. Why would you want a slower car?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:32 AM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 997 GTs are the new 993 ..
Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Rushman71

I will not own a PDK. Hate how it drives at parking lot speeds and it takes fun away from driving for me, I like taking my hand off the wheel once in a while. For others it will make it easier.

Never mind the weird feeling of torque vectoring. I like a mechanical LSD.

We are already being left behind having more fun in a better feeling car.
Nothing to do with ability, just the fun factor.

For some it is more fun to pass other cars then it is to enjoy driving the car, if that was the case for me I'd go have fun racing flappy sequential CUP cars. More fun than getting point by's in your GTR or the Porsche version of the GTR..

GTR's don't last many laps, butthat is OK because by the time the car overheats you are bored anyway.

Quick Reply: No Manual Gearbox for 991 GT3?